My prototype shaving stand

Welcome to my razor/brush prototype stand build thread.

I do enjoy building things with wood, despite the fact I am not particularly good at it, nor do I have all the right things with which to do a proper job so to speak. That said, I do what I can with what I have, and I happened to have some scrap wood and the urge to make something. I need a stand for my razors and brushes and thought why not!

So I had to gather a few odds and ends so off to Toolstation I went for a dowel jig, some dowels and some wood glue (and an obligatory pot of Swarfega, the reasons for which will become obvious later).

20160724_131406.jpg

I thought I'd make it big enough to fit 6 brushes and the same again in razors. I wanted it to be a simple thing, but all construction was to be as invisible as possible, so no screws here.

I cut two pieces of wood to 40cm after lining up the brushes by eye and cutting to the nearest decent figure. I then took my longest razor, my tallest brush and laid them end to end to decide how tall this contraption would be. 30cm it turns out allows for a little leeway, and I was left with this:

20160724_141112.jpg

I proceeded to start marking out for the dowels:

20160724_142307.jpg

And drilling some dowel holes:

20160724_173453.jpg

To drill these safely and accurately, I had to get the old clamps out and this beast didn't want to play ball so I had to soak the thread in WD-40 and let it sit for an hour then jamb the wing nut end in between two slabs and turn it with brute force...it hadn't been used in probably 10 years:

20160724_152144.jpg

And started test fitting what will be the top piece to the two sides after gluing in the dowels to the side pieces:

20160724_160432.jpg

20160724_160411.jpg

20160724_162449.jpg

I repeated the procedure for what will be the bottom (and will hold the brushes, bristle down) and again glued the dowels to the sides, and test fit by pushing together, and stuck it in the bathroom to see how it would all work. Granted, holes and slots have yet to be cut, but you can see where I am going with this:

20160724_175625.jpg

If once I have cut the slots and holes, I make a decent enough job of it, I will buy some quality hardwood, and have a crack at a proper job. That said, I have learned the following from this build process so far:

1) My saw is blunt and I really could do with a bench saw to get accurate cuts...a purchase may have to follow.

2) I could really do with a proper work bench. Unfortunately I don't have the space for a workshop, so I may have to invest in a Black & Decker Workmate.

3) A press drill would be a great thing to have, I may have to invest and thin out the detailing gear to make space.

4) You can never have enough clamps. Ratchet clamps preferably.

So there we have it, an hour or so's work and we are this far. Hopefully tomorrow I will get the spade drill bits out and drill the holes for the razors and what will form the end of the brush slots, then cut those slots out completely. I'll then get some grain filler, fill the end grain and wax it for a bit of protection (it is already varnished on all un-cut faces, and I am all out of clear varnish).

Thanks guys :) I only used a few simple tools to get to this stage. I'd like to try a mortise and tenon joint on another, just because I can, and because I like using chisels :D

If I am happy enough with the results, I'd like to make a proper piece out of oak, providing I can get the wood at a reasonable price :)

Yeah! Pretty good! It works ... it's a good size for the purpose, perhaps too small for most of us here and perhaps too large for everyone else, but for a small list of favourites ... it's all good.

Nice one!
In terms of size, there was another post on here about a stand, and working to a size of approx 40cm wide, so I went with that after I'd measured out roughly the space needed for the brushes I wanted on there. If all goes to plan with the smaller size I'm testing out here, I may opt to make a larger, wall mounted piece that can act as a store for my soaps, razors, brushes and all the usual bathroom paraphernalia behind mirrored doors :) We shall see on that though as it would mean buying a router to cut the channels for the glass, and getting some mirrored glass, which could start racking up the cost beyond what a decent cabinet could set me back...ahh well, it's all in the name of fun.

Welcome to my razor/brush prototype stand build thread.

I do enjoy building things with wood, despite the fact I am not particularly good at it, nor do I have all the right things with which to do a proper job so to speak. That said, I do what I can with what I have, and I happened to have some scrap wood and the urge to make something. I need a stand for my razors and brushes and thought why not!

So I had to gather a few odds and ends so off to Toolstation I went for a dowel jig, some dowels and some wood glue (and an obligatory pot of Swarfega, the reasons for which will become obvious later).

20160724_131406.jpg

I thought I'd make it big enough to fit 6 brushes and the same again in razors. I wanted it to be a simple thing, but all construction was to be as invisible as possible, so no screws here.

I cut two pieces of wood to 40cm after lining up the brushes by eye and cutting to the nearest decent figure. I then took my longest razor, my tallest brush and laid them end to end to decide how tall this contraption would be. 30cm it turns out allows for a little leeway, and I was left with this:

20160724_141112.jpg

I proceeded to start marking out for the dowels:

20160724_142307.jpg

And drilling some dowel holes:

20160724_173453.jpg

To drill these safely and accurately, I had to get the old clamps out and this beast didn't want to play ball so I had to soak the thread in WD-40 and let it sit for an hour then jamb the wing nut end in between two slabs and turn it with brute force...it hadn't been used in probably 10 years:

20160724_152144.jpg

And started test fitting what will be the top piece to the two sides after gluing in the dowels to the side pieces:

20160724_160432.jpg

20160724_160411.jpg

20160724_162449.jpg

I repeated the procedure for what will be the bottom (and will hold the brushes, bristle down) and again glued the dowels to the sides, and test fit by pushing together, and stuck it in the bathroom to see how it would all work. Granted, holes and slots have yet to be cut, but you can see where I am going with this:

20160724_175625.jpg

If once I have cut the slots and holes, I make a decent enough job of it, I will buy some quality hardwood, and have a crack at a proper job. That said, I have learned the following from this build process so far:

1) My saw is blunt and I really could do with a bench saw to get accurate cuts...a purchase may have to follow.

2) I could really do with a proper work bench. Unfortunately I don't have the space for a workshop, so I may have to invest in a Black & Decker Workmate.

3) A press drill would be a great thing to have, I may have to invest and thin out the detailing gear to make space.

4) You can never have enough clamps. Ratchet clamps preferably.

So there we have it, an hour or so's work and we are this far. Hopefully tomorrow I will get the spade drill bits out and drill the holes for the razors and what will form the end of the brush slots, then cut those slots out completely. I'll then get some grain filler, fill the end grain and wax it for a bit of protection (it is already varnished on all un-cut faces, and I am all out of clear varnish).
Nice bit of DIY Nick, you have inspired me to watch you build something else!

That looks great, have you finished it yet ?
Would love to see the finished article, are you going to cut grooves in the top rail so the brushes can dry upside down ?
It's giving me ideas

That looks great, have you finished it yet ?
Would love to see the finished article, are you going to cut grooves in the top rail so the brushes can dry upside down ?
It's giving me ideas
Thanks buddy :) I'm due to finish it this weekend, as I haven't had a chance to get to the local tool supplier for the right forstner bits due to work.

Slots for the brushes will be in the lower half so that they can drip down onto a towel that the stand will sit on, razors will sit in holes cut through the top :)

Back
Top Bottom