My RAD begins - 1921 New Standard

Picked up this beauty at an Antique store in Sydney. Open comb, 3 pce, silver plated. In absolutely superb condition. No cracks on the handle. With original leather covered metal box and blade case.

Looks minimally used. Cleaned it up with soapy water then used the baking soda and aluminium foil method to clean up some minor tarnishing. Shined it up then used some isopropyl alcohol to finish up the clean. It's now gleaming.

I worked out it's a 1921 "New Improved Old type" razor. Box says "New Standard". Apparently similar to the 1922 Bostonian and Aristocrats. SN on the blade plate is 167103A.

I'm still a relative Newbie, using only Merkur 33C and 34C to date. Expect this to be a tad more aggressive.

Wish me luck!

[attachment=6309]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357342314.856736.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357342314.856736.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 66
That is one of my favourite vintage Gillette razors. Looks to be in great condition.

You won't be disappointed.

Be careful with it though as the silver plating can wear quickly.

J

I got one just like it - box and blade holder too - for Xmas. Only used it twice but it's been very nice. Easier to use than the Old Type it replaces.
Here's mine:
IMAG0770.jpg

NotTheStig said:
I got one just like it - box and blade holder

Superb! You have the slightly different base with lines around the diamonds. I have purple velvet. Your box looks excellent.

Just shaved with it. Wonderful!
[attachment=6310]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357348395.276384.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357348395.276384.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 38
Stunning razors, gentlemen. That knurling looks great and I bet it would ensure a good grip too.

How aggressive/efficient would you say they were compared to the NEW? I'm after something that has a bit of bite.

Back
Top Bottom