my very first DE shave

well as per my other thread about where to start i decided to get some real budget stuff and have a go so i bought the palmolive cream from wilko's as suggested by many and when i was at it i got a shaving brush from them to for 55p which i know will be rubbish but for a first go i figured would be good enough and wouldn't be a waste if i chuck it for a better one if i decided i liked DE shaving and then to boots for one of the own brand plastic DE razors as it was all my local boots stock and at £3.79 was next to nothing so all in it was just over a fiver! less than a packet of blades for my normal razor and the results are? sore!
it actually went better than i thought it would as no blood which surprised me i thought i was going to end up looking like freddy krueger but was either lucky or it was down to the palmolive and the stunning brush! but my face is so sore i feel like i have sunburn so what did i do wrong? i only did 2 passes one down pretty much WTG and then lathered back up and one up so pretty much ATG im not giving up as i actually quite enjoyed the experience and it was less bloody than i thought it was going to be just wonder if its my brush my razor my technique all of it or just my lovely 50p brush?

once again many thanks in advance

It will take a few weeks for your skin to become used to using a DE, and a few months for your technique to develop so don't worry!

However, I wouldn't bother going ATG so soon and certainly not after just one WTG pass.

Most of us do three passes. One with the grain, one across (XTG) and one against (some don't do against at all).

If I were you I'd do maybe two WTG and one XTG for a couple of weeks and then think about ATG.

Probably a combination of prickly bristle brush...this can exfoliate your skin..

Poor technique?...but that will quickly improve....watch the angle of the blade in the mirror when shaving....at the moment your brain will be programmed to multi blade razors which have an optimum shaving angle more or less built in to the handle....Try putting the razor head on your cheek with the handle sticking out at right angles to your face..then lower the handle 'til the blade starts to shave off the whiskers...this angle won't be far off what you need.....

Maybe even a poor blade choice...different blades can make a vast difference to smoothness of shave....I personally hate supermarket blades , Derby's and Lasers....but some love 'em............we're all different.

Its not rocket science and you'll soon get the hang of it...In the mean time some Witch Hazel...about £3 a bottle will help take the soreness off plus some Nivea sensitive after shave balm or something similar......Palmers cocoa butter maybe...lovely chocolatey smell...

It can be a hard habit to break but try to remember not to push the razor onto your face as whilst this works well for cartridge razors it will cause problems when using a DE. Normally it's suggested to just let the weight of the razor do the work but as you're using a plastic razor which I'm guessing will be quite light I'm not sure how well that will work so you may need to experiment.

One of the best pieces of advice I ever received was this: First and foremost, go for a comfortable shave - getting a close and comfortable shave will come later with time and practice.

Was in the same position as you three weeks ago, having my first DE shave with the same Boots razor!

You didn't mention if you used any balm afterwards - this might be where your soreness is from - the nivea stuff seems to be recommended which is also available in Wilko's!

Forget the ATG pass, concentrate on removing the soap from your face, not on shaving the skin, that way you will develop a light technique.

Use a good balm afterwards.

Try the Natural Grooming one, or Real Shaving Company, they're both quite good and as cheap as chips.

Here's a link...

http://www.beautyatcreightons.com/engine/shop/product/NG8007/Natural+Grooming+100ml+Men%27s+Post+Shave+Balm

I'll be about the fifth person to say it but it's likely a bit too much pressure. With a DE you don't need to press against the skin at all, merely guide it.

And yes, it'll take a couple of weeks for your skin to start to get used to things, so there'll be no miracles yet. But well done on a bloodless first shave, try to keep it that way!

I would also say to not do the ATG pass just yet.

I recently (after DE shaving for about 2/3 years) have gone to just one pass, plus a second XTG under my chin as I can't get that on one pass. My technique is getting better as a result. It is very tempting to aim for that ultra smooth BBS shave, just resist the temptation for the moment.

7th "excessive pressure" subscriber. No idea who first came up with the advice, however I've always been impressed with the suggestion of shaving to remove the lather, not the whiskers. And yes, forget about the against the grain pass meantime. Also, when you believe that you've lathered your face enough ................. continue for at least as much time again.
You'll sort out for yourself soon enough what suits your skin best as regards an after shave balm or splash. Witch hazel is appreciated by many of us though.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Yep, the one about removing the lather rather than the whiskers is a good one; another is Tony's "shooting for par" line. What that one boils down to is that rather than aiming for a perfect shave (BBS or whatever) every time, you should just go for a shave. Soon enough the proportion of really good shaves will start to improve, and you won't be flaying yourself alive trying too hard. Easily said I know, but if you settle for a couple of with the grain passes for now paying attention to cutting angle and pressure, it'll pay dividends.

well had my second go tonight still using the plastic boots one as my new ones have not turned up.
i did 2 WTG passes and lathered between the 2 still with the palmolive cream and much better no cuts and not as sore as the first go but i concentrated on angle and pressure more than the first go so im a happy boy :icon_razz: or i will when my new toys turn up

Back
Top Bottom