My wet face is diluting my lather between passes!!

Some boar brushes are prone to "drinking" the lather ... so much so that there's nothing left for a second pass, but you already said you're using synthetic. By dissipating, we mean it kinda goes bubbly and then disappears.

@donnie_arko I can't remember the name of the company, but recall it's in Glasgow ... they make for a number of the British big name shaving brands.
Glasgow Soap Company?

Place your trust in Arko...
Yep, and vintage Williams, even cheapo Van Der Hagen stuff for three bucks!

iu

Some boar brushes are prone to "drinking" the lather ... so much so that there's nothing left for a second pass, but you already said you're using synthetic. By dissipating, we mean it kinda goes bubbly and then disappears.

@donnie_arko I can't remember the name of the company, but recall it's in Glasgow ... they make for a number of the British big name shaving brands.
Crichton’s ???

Several threads on ATG about Trumpers seem to point to Soapworks Ltd Glasgow as the company behind the poor performing hard soaps. T&H used to have a terrible reputation also but have changed formulation within the last couple of years and it's very good now - I have the Sandalwood bowl. DR Harris is known good throughout. Actually, Trumpers Oxford Blue and Officer & Gentleman are good, but the ingredient list is different to their main brand soaps and bears a strong resemblance to T&H and Cyril R Salter.

There is a thread confirming the latest Floris formulation (with Shea Butter) to be good ("Trumpers ... are you listening?") so that bodes well @Ian5 @donnie_arko

... so, yes, if you wanted other "posh" soaps, T&H are good (lathering ... and veg based), those two Trumpers mentioned above and DR Harris (although these have tallow fat in) Naturally, MWF is outstanding (but again, tallow and lanolin).

Several threads on ATG about Trumpers seem to point to Soapworks Ltd Glasgow as the company behind the poor performing hard soaps. T&H used to have a terrible reputation also but have changed formulation within the last couple of years and it's very good now - I have the Sandalwood bowl. DR Harris is known good throughout. Actually, Trumpers Oxford Blue and Officer & Gentleman are good, but the ingredient list is different to their main brand soaps and bears a strong resemblance to T&H and Cyril R Salter.

There is a thread confirming the latest Floris formulation (with Shea Butter) to be good ("Trumpers ... are you listening?") so that bodes well @Ian5 @donnie_arko

... so, yes, if you wanted other "posh" soaps, T&H are good (lathering ... and veg based), those two Trumpers mentioned above and DR Harris (although these have tallow fat in) Naturally, MWF is outstanding (but again, tallow and lanolin).
Thanks for this pjgh. It's helpful to know what does and doesn't contain tallow!! I'm afraid I have had to entirely forgo all the American artisan stuff for this reason.

Luckily for me the posh European stuff seems to be much more plant-based :)

Some shaving soaps have formulations that are heavy on sodium compounds with no Potassium ones. Some of those can be prone to dissipating.

Cheers for the info Paul. I think it was a good observation.

A lot of these Culmak made soaps right?
I had a look at the ingredients on the infamous Bulldog shaving soap in Boots just now to test your potassium thing and you are 100% correct, it is just loads of different sodiums hahaha

Thanks for this pjgh. It's helpful to know what does and doesn't contain tallow!! I'm afraid I have had to entirely forgo all the American artisan stuff for this reason.

Luckily for me the posh European stuff seems to be much more plant-based :)

I've used a few vegan soaps, Signature Soaps is one of my favourites. Buy a tub of Eboracum and thank me later.

If you are looking for lower priced options, the new Lea Stick is excellent (contains lanolin, so technically not vegan, no tallow though) and there are a number of budget creams that perform beautifully. Ones I prefer to some higher priced ones.

Thanks donnie_arko, those LEA sticks look great value. I think I'm OK with lanolin cause I'm just vegetarian as opposed to full vegan and I think lanolin is from the wool? I've never heard of Signature Soaps so I will look now!!

I had a look at the ingredients on the infamous Bulldog shaving soap in Boots just now to test your potassium thing and you are 100% correct, it is just loads of different sodiums hahaha

The bamboo pot it really nice, though. I have mine filled with the EcoWarrior shaving bar. I'm led to understand that has since been reformulated and is not as good as the first release ... but still usable, I think.

I'll second the suggestion for the LEA sticks. Superb! Pleasant marine scent, too. Bath House is a high-brow toiletries kinda store and they have a trio of shave soaps: https://thebathhouseshop.co.uk/?s=shaving - I have the Orange Flower. @Satanfriendly likes their soap, too.

Anyhow ... let's get lathering nailed. Any better?

Thanks donnie_arko, those LEA sticks look great value. I think I'm OK with lanolin cause I'm just vegetarian as opposed to full vegan and I think lanolin is from the wool? I've never heard of Signature Soaps so I will look now!!

This is the one

He does a lot of other great scent profiles, so if Cedarwood and Peppermint isn't your bag there's more choice.

For budget shaving creams, I like others rate Palmolive Green. Keep an eye out for your local chemist, or Sainsbury's, should be about £2 for a 100ml tube.

The bamboo pot it really nice, though. I have mine filled with the EcoWarrior shaving bar. I'm led to understand that has since been reformulated and is not as good as the first release ... but still usable, I think.

I'll second the suggestion for the LEA sticks. Superb! Pleasant marine scent, too. Bath House is a high-brow toiletries kinda store and they have a trio of shave soaps: https://thebathhouseshop.co.uk/?s=shaving - I have the Orange Flower. @Satanfriendly likes their soap, too.

Anyhow ... let's get lathering nailed. Any better?

Indeed a big fan here, but I do agree, get the lathering nailed first. The Orange Flower wouldn't be an easy starting point, but do agree a Signature Soaps would be a great place to begin.

I suggest you try face lathering where you can get more of a feel than you can in the bottom of a bowl. Since going the way of face I very rarely bowl lather anymore.

Wet face, slightly damp brush, work some lather on to it then work in to your face. Add water or soap as required until it feels right. And again work it. You'll get there and it just takes practice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom