Myatt Daymark

I thought I'd post up a brief review of my latest ebay purchase, a Myatt Daymark razor.

This is the condition it arrived in (after a quick clean and polish):

Daymark014.jpg

Daymark011.jpg

The Daymark has a peculiarly shaped guard the like of which I have never seen in any razor other than this particular model:

Daymark009.jpg

The locating pins on the head were developed for non-Gillette patterned blades (I believe that Myatt used to market their own blades for this model specifically).

This causes some difficulty in being able to locate a modern blade onto the head itself:

Daymark007.jpg

However, tightening the handle causes the blade to be positioned on the head under tension:

Daymark006.jpg

and this ensures that an even blade gap occurs:

Daymark003.jpg

So, how well does the razor shave then?

It is a relatively aggressive razor. It is not as aggressive than the current Muhle R41 but is certainly more aggressive than an Old Type Gillette or a Short Comb New.

It was a tad too aggressive for my face. I did, though, couple it with a modern long and heavy handle and came up with this Frankenrazor and then proceeded to give my head a shave with it:

Daymark001.jpg

Daymark037.jpg

Daymark040.jpg

The result is a very nicely balanced and mellow head shaving razor.

There are a number of handles which don't appear to fit the head properly though as the screw thread is somewhat longer than is normal on vintage Gillette's.

My Ikon Classic handle fitted without problem as does the handle I used. My Tradere handle and spare Gillette handles did not fit though. Neither did my Bob's Razor Works handles or my Myaytt Minor handle.

I like it so much that I plan to get it replated and use it in my regular head shaving rotation along with my other head shaving Frankenrazors (R41head / Tradere handle razor and Bob's Razor Work's handle / English New head razors).

Hopefully, I will be able to find someone who can grind down the locating pins so that a modern blade will fit perfectly.

Dipesh has already given me a lead in respect of this (thanks mate), so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can get this sorted because I've stumbled across a razor that works really well for me.

Thanks for sharing Andy.

You don't often see much said about these. Once it's been modified, it will even better.

I quite like its comb. Very unusual.

Dipesh

Back
Top Bottom