Mystery Photo.

Bob

I've just been going through my old photos on my phone and came across this which I had forgotten about. I took this at the end of August when I saw what I can only describe as intermittant lighting of the sky. I went outside to get a better look, the lighting was soundless and seemed to be at regular time intervals, I thought that I could catch it on my phone's camera. Needless to say I missed it every time! It wasn't until I went back indoors to look at what I had captured that I noticed the one picture that I have attached. I didn't see the two objects at the time. The round object is not the moon. That was 90deg to my left and I was looking south. I have to say I'm mystified with this.

Attachments

• IMG_20130822_213703.jpg
    IMG_20130822_213703.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 192
PhilD said:
What date is the photo, Bob?

It was taken on 22 Aug 2013 at 21:37 hrs Phil. If you look in close-up at the small object it appears to have what I can only call pulses in its tail. It's a strange photo in as much as I took several in quick sucession and no other shows this. Unfortunately I deleted al the others as I looked at them, but they showed nothing.

Are you anywhere near Whitby, Bob? There was a folk festival going on over those days, I don't know whether they use bright lighting or strobes or whatever for those kind of events? Re the circle object, it was one day after a full moon and given the darker bits, it seems consistent with what's on your picture. Could you have been doing a sweep of shots and swung around to where the moon was? No idea about the squiggle.

PhilD said:
Are you anywhere near Whitby, Bob? There was a folk festival going on over those days, I don't know whether they use bright lighting or strobes or whatever for those kind of events? Re the circle object, it was one day after a full moon and given the darker bits, it seems consistent with what's on your picture. Could you have been doing a sweep of shots and swung around to where the moon was? No idea about the squiggle.

Whitby is over on the other side of the North York Moors Phil, I live near Kirkbymoorside and facing due South. The camera was stationary as that is the direction of the feature I was trying to capture. As I stood, the Moon was due East and quite full and bright. If I had photographed the Moon it would have been several orders of magnitude larger and brighter than the object. As I said earlier I am unable to offer an explaination. I suppose I could have captured some sort of electromagnetic anomoly which existed for a pico second!

What is the other side of the fence?

Just wondering if there could have been anything for the moon to reflect in. The object on the left does look very 'planet' like and is interesting in that there appears to be a slight halo which extends further towards the bottom right than it does in other directions.

Vetinari said:
What is the other side of the fence?

Just wondering if there could have been anything for the moon to reflect in. The object on the left does look very 'planet' like and is interesting in that there appears to be a slight halo which extends further towards the bottom right than it does in other directions.

There is just a road beyond the fence and then some trees. In order to load the photo to this site I had to reduce its definition but I agree with you about the halo. I've just looked at the original again and it is there as well. The only difference is with the small object in that the "pulses" in its tail are more pronounced.

Back
Top Bottom