N Wireless Modem Router Help Now Sorted

Decided to buy a new modem, but cannot figure out what to go for, want N standard wireless. Not sure if I want to pay silly money for an Apple even though they say they are the best for Mac's. Standard BT line so not cable. Any of you got any recommendations.
Currently running Sky modem through a Linksys WRT160N N router, but want to get rid of one box to many wires as my main phone socket is in the bedroom..... :? Also Sky will want it back soon as I am off to Plusnet....... ;)

Should add Linksys will be on BST later so if you want a cheap upgrade from B/G to N then it will be a bargain as it is only a few months old........

Should add have been looking at Netgear, Belkin in that order..........who are Buffalo?

Got a Linksys, WAG360N, will do just fine for my needs........... :D

Re: N Wireless Modem Router Help

Personally I wouldn't spend a lot on going for wireless 'N', at 54Mbps Wireless G is way faster than the up to 8mbps that my IPS pumps the net into my house. The only real advantage would be if you often transfer large files from one PC to another on your home network.

This should help

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bestbuy.com/site/null/What-Is-Wireless-N/pcmcat151200050017.c?id=pcmcat151200050017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bestbuy.com/site/null/What-I ... 1200050017</a><!-- m -->

Blades

Personally, I would recommend wireless 'N' (and indeed, I use it). The main advantage is that 'N' operates in the 5GHz band, not the overcrowded 2.4GHz band so if you have neighbours you are much less likely to suffer from collisions, maintain better overall throughput and more reliable connections. There are only three non-overlapping channels on the 2.4GHz band.

Having been through a great range, I'm currently using an Apple AirPort Extreme, though I'm using it as a Wireless Access Point not as a router. I prefer to keep the functions separate because (a) I can mix-and-match hardware, (b) I can put the Wireless Access Point in a location that provides the best signal but mostly (c) because I have a multi-tiered infrastructure with multiple internal networks for security purposes.

For Mac owners, a great selling point for the AirPort Extreme is that is also offers fully automatic wireless backup to a USB hard disk using Time Machine (similar to Time Capsule but with fewer hardware failures!).

As for other makes, I've had most success with the Netgear ProSafe range. Pretty well everything else I've used has caused significant disappointment sooner or later.

Wireless N at least here in the USA...isnt what you really want as many devices dont detect it..just a thought!..nothing wrong with Wireless G..how much data are you REALLY sending out..thats the real difference.
Cisco Makes a great G router product and cheap as well
B

smorgo said:
Personally, I would recommend wireless 'N' (and indeed, I use it). The main advantage is that 'N' operates in the 5GHz band, not the overcrowded 2.4GHz band so if you have neighbours you are much less likely to suffer from collisions, maintain better overall throughput and more reliable connections. There are only three non-overlapping channels on the 2.4GHz band.

Having been through a great range, I'm currently using an Apple AirPort Extreme, though I'm using it as a Wireless Access Point not as a router. I prefer to keep the functions separate because (a) I can mix-and-match hardware, (b) I can put the Wireless Access Point in a location that provides the best signal but mostly (c) because I have a multi-tiered infrastructure with multiple internal networks for security purposes.

For Mac owners, a great selling point for the AirPort Extreme is that is also offers fully automatic wireless backup to a USB hard disk using Time Machine (similar to Time Capsule but with fewer hardware failures!).

As for other makes, I've had most success with the Netgear ProSafe range. Pretty well everything else I've used has caused significant disappointment sooner or later.

I agree the N is the way to go, that is why I use the Linksys router with my Sky modem. I live in a small block of flats and there are 4 other routers within range of my MB Pro. Before I changed too N I was getting dropout and speed problems.I have gained about 5gb in download speed which has made TV streaming a lot better. I just want everything in one box. Plus I have to get a new modem in any case! I have had a Netgear before and it was a good modem until the dog took a fancy to it.......they are not chew proof...... :cry:

Blades said:
Wireless N at least here in the USA...isnt what you really want as many devices dont detect it..just a thought!..nothing wrong with Wireless G..how much data are you REALLY sending out..thats the real difference.
Cisco Makes a great G router product and cheap as well
B

Wireless 'N' devices are backwards-compatible with 'G' and 'B' (but not 'A', which also operates on the 5GHz band). So you get the benefit of extra reliability for those devices which support it (pretty well any recent laptop, iPhone, etc.) with continued support for 'legacy' devices. Unless you're only using kit more than 2-3 years old and don't intend buying anything new, it's a no-brainer, really.

I agree on backward compatability but not all devices can detect an N signal..whereas G will always be detected for the most part

B

Go for N, make sure it's dual band (like the Linksys by Cisco WAG320N Wireless N Gigabit Dual Band Modem Router) rather than single band like the WAG160 series.

We're not in the US and don't live in the dark ages.

Cisco branded gear is the antithesis of cheap, it is not cheap *anywhere* - Linksys (the home brand for Cisco) provides a good balance between features, performance and price.

I need to clarify some inaccuracies in my earlier posts. Choose a Wireless 'N' simultaneous dual-band model. I discovered that 'N' can operate on 2.4GHz or 5GHz. A single-band model will use 2.4GHz, so won't give the full benefits of the clearer band. A number of dual-band models can be configured for either 2.4GHz or 5GHz. Configuring one of these for 5GHz gives you the clearer band but won't work with 'B' or 'G' clients while configuring it for 2.4GHz won't give the full benefit to 'N' cients. A simultaneous dual-band device has two radios providing full support for 'N' devices while still supporting 'B' and 'G' devices.

The aforementioned AirPort Extreme (which I appreciate isn't the single box solution that the OP wants) is a simultaneous dual-band model that supports 'B', "G', 'N' (on 2.4GHz and 5GHz) and even the much rarer 'A' all at the same time.

missingskin said:
What are your thoughts on the upper end of the Netgear modem/ N router's HM?

Since running into Netgear "Deep" "Technical" "Support", I would not touch Netgear with a bargepole.

The moment you have a technical support query that isn't in their script (basically the Netgear knowledgebase on the Netgear website) - you are on your own.

I had a problem with a Netgear router and a high-end laptop which kept dissociating from the network. I looked around and it turned out that it was easily fixable by router swapout (which is exactly what Netgear did in the US) - in Europe their response was to swap the PC.... $60 router or $1000 PC which would you chuck in that circumstance?

hunnymonster said:
missingskin said:
What are your thoughts on the upper end of the Netgear modem/ N router's HM?

Since running into Netgear "Deep" "Technical" "Support", I would not touch Netgear with a bargepole.

The moment you have a technical support query that isn't in their script (basically the Netgear knowledgebase on the Netgear website) - you are on your own.

I had a problem with a Netgear router and a high-end laptop which kept dissociating from the network. I looked around and it turned out that it was easily fixable by router swapout (which is exactly what Netgear did in the US) - in Europe their response was to swap the PC.... $60 router or $1000 PC which would you chuck in that circumstance?

OK that looks like Netgear might not be an option............ :cry:
I am determined to get a combined modem/router............if it kills me...... :D

Back
Top Bottom