NATO straps

(Just posted this as a reply to the Vostok Amphibia thread but thought it might be worth a topic all of its own.)

If you want a "real" MoD army-issue NATO then they are made in Wales by a small company called Phoenix. A nice chap called Mike who works for them (probably IS them for all I know!) sells seconds and overstocked surplus on ebay under the username mickie500.

I like the Phoneix ones best because they are thin, tough, no-frills even by NATO standards! Also, they are made in Britain and the colours are spot-on (esp. the iconic Admiralty Grey). They are the one everyone else is copying and wants to be.

(PS I have no connection with the company or with Mike except as a happy punter.)

HTH

Has we are on the subject of straps I recently replaced my black leather Hamilton Khaki officer with a Darlena 'Rustic Vintage' supple tan leather watch strap from Weston watch straps the new strap is even better than the Hamilton original fantastic customer service coupled with outstanding quality thought I would pass it on for those interested. http://www.westonwatchstraps.co.uk/

pugh-the-special-one said:
Has we are on the subject of straps I recently replaced my black leather Hamilton Khaki officer with a Darlena 'Rustic Vintage' supple tan leather watch strap from Weston watch straps the new strap is even better than the Hamilton original fantastic customer service coupled with outstanding quality thought I would pass it on for those interested. http://www.westonwatchstraps.co.uk/

Very nice watch, excellent strap especially at that price, looks more expensive than I expected.

n1vlo said:
now i like that one...maybe without the date tho

Get the PRS-82 - a truly lovely watch.

And amazing price for what you get.

Will hold its value too.

;-)

The Hamilton Khaki Field cost a lot less and has an sapphire crystal exhibition back plus a 25 jewels with a better ETA movement. More watch for less money.
http://www.antonioboutique.com/hamilton-khaki-field-automatic-h70455533.html?___store=default&gclid=Cj0KEQjwlv6dBRDC7rGfrvidmJgBEiQAjd3hMKI6GE5V-QqEV5tl-WIhjif0rTAytYleZXerN2UIpisaAsQW8P8HAQ

http://www.bernardwatch.com/blog/eta-2824-and-eta-2892-comparison/

I've had Hamiltons and Precistas. I now only have Precistas.

It depends whether you want something mass-produced Swatch or a numbered limited edition reissue of a long-discontinued classic ;-)

Seriously, they are both decent watches.

I must disagree with you Rev regarding limited edition Precistas they are buying the same movements from ETA only a lesser movement compared to the Hamilton so you are paying for a company who in reality made you a limited edition case? That's hardly a British made watch with a ETA Swiss movement.

I must disagree with you Rev regarding limited edition Precistas they are buying the same movements from ETA only a lesser movement compared to the Hamilton so you are paying for a company who in reality made you a limited edition case? That's hardly a British made watch with a ETA Swiss movement.

Jamie, the '82 uses a NOS movement from the 1970's. A lower calibre than the Hamilton's? Yes (numerically, at least -- bound to be, of course, being chronologically earlier in ETA's history). A lesser ebauche? Not necessarily (same number of jewels @ 25; same amount of decoration and finishing i.e. none to speak of in terms of perlage, anglage etc.) Poorer performance? Not so you'd notice!

It's a bit like the difference between a modern DE (eg Merkur) and a similar, comparable vintage one (say, a Tech).

Pros and cons, both have their fans.

I'm weraing my Hamilton Khaki now - as I do most days - and the now two year old strap looks like it will take another twenty years to wear out but at that price (compared to Hamilton's) I may get in touch with Westons and have a tan and a black spare. It's also a tad shorter than the original which will suit me.

Must say your new strap looks brilliant but such a solid, reliable and aesthetically perfect watch deserves a top quality strap.

Good find!
:icon_razz:

I'm a bit obsessive when it come to straps.

Obviously, the buckle must be the same colour as the watch (i.e. NOT gold!), that's a given. After that, I hate ones that taper (smaller at the buckle than the lugs) and I hate contrast stitching (sorry Jamie) and the thickness of the strap has to match the thickness of the watch.

I did say I was a bit obsessive. :blush::s

balidey said:
Oh dear Rev, what are you going to say when I tell you I'm putting a Zulu on the G10 fatbay. Not a NATO, but it is the right colour.
Will post a pic when the strap arrives.

A Zulu is OK. Obviously a Phoenix NATO in Admiralty Grey would be best but it could be worse!

Back
Top Bottom