New blade selection

Just received a new selection of blades to try out.
Personna Super Medical Prep
Bolzano Superinox
Bic Chrome Platinum
Permasharp Super Stainless
Timor Stainless
Lord Super Chrome

All rate highly in NotTheStig's excellent blade review, so I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform. I'll be using the same prep, Castle Forbes Lime Cream, Best Badger, Merkur Futur at 3, to test each type. Should be interesting. :dodgy:

Halk said:
Where is NotTheStig's blade review?

If you go to Forum Home, under the section DE Blades you will see the "sticky" at the beginning (important threads) which you can download and modify to suit yourself. It is an excellent review and a helpful guide to anyone wanting to try new blades but are unsure where to start. It is purely subjective of course, but I think most forum members would agree it is broadly in line with most peoples experience.

I'm blushing. Thanks!

I would add a caveat to the Bolsanos - I reviewed them some time back with a Merkur 38C which I no longer own. In every subsequent razor I have tried them they have been draggy. Just a warning (possibly too late, sorry).

majortom said:
Halk said:
Where is NotTheStig's blade review?

If you go to Forum Home, under the section DE Blades you will see the "sticky" at the beginning (important threads) which you can download and modify to suit yourself. It is an excellent review and a helpful guide to anyone wanting to try new blades but are unsure where to start. It is purely subjective of course, but I think most forum members would agree it is broadly in line with most peoples experience.

Ah, I'd already seen that. Shame! I thought there might be some new info.

I intend to try all of the in production green rated blades...

ASCO Stainless
Feather New Hi Stainless
Laser Super Stainless (Indian, green)
Personna Israeli (unbranded)
Crown Super Stainless
Supermax Blue Diamond
Trig Silver
Wilkinson Sword White (Germany) Classic
Bluebird Hi Stainless
Gillette Bleue Extra II (French, card dispenser)
Gillette Superthin (black flash)
Lord Cool
Supermax Super Stainless
Supermax Titanium
Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus
Gillette Superthin Platinum (Vietnamese)
Personna Medical Prep
Astra Superior Stainless
Ladas Super Stainless
Supermax Platinum
Wilkinson Sword Stainless (vintage England, 1960s-'70s) <-- I don't think that is in production!
Astra Superior Platinum
BIC Chrome Platinum
Bolsano Super Inox
Lord Classic
Lord Super Chrome
Permasharp Super
Personna "Red" (Platinum)
Timor Solingen

I'll probably start from the 'top' I'm currently using a Timor blade, and I have some Perma-Sharp, some 7 o clock green and some super thins to use next. I've already tried Lord (not sure which), Feather, Astra (will need to check which)....

Edit : Looking at the size of that list I think I'll cut it down after looking at the individual ratings, pricing, etc on them, and see if I can come up with a list that's short enough for me to reasonably use. The holy grail, I suppose, is a blade which is never jagged, and isn't very expensive. The newbie friendly blade is the expensive, high end blade like the Timor I suppose. Over time I expect we all hope to gravitate to a blade that we get a perfect shave from several times, without it feeling like a rip off.

The Permasharps and Astras are very popular choices that fit your criteria, with good reason, if that helps. Trigs aren't very close shavers but they're cheap and forgiving and get the job done.

Used the Personna Super Medical Prep for the first time today with the Futur set at 3. Very good sharp blade with no drag or irritation.It's similar to the Feathers, giving a nice close shave. I'll see how they perform on the second/ third shave, but from first impressions they seem excellent. They come unboxed, each individually wrapped.

Had second shave this morning with the Personna Medical Prep blade. Absolutely fantastic, best shave ever. It seems to have improved even over yesterday's shave which is strange. I only ever get max 2 shaves with any blade, although occasionally I'll go for a third with a Feather which is never great.This Med Prep feels as though it will last for a few shaves yet. I'm trying out the 6 types of blade mentioned earlier in the thread, using the same prep, cream and brush to give each a fair trial. The growth on my lower lip and neck area is extremely tough and wiry, and grows in all strange directions, so it's a severe test for any blade to give a satisfactory shave. When I shaved this morning, the blade did not feel overly sharp, but there was absolutely no drag or irritation, and after the second pass there was virtually very little buffing needed. I look forward to tomorrow's adventure.

5th shave today with the Med Prep. Still no drag or discomfort, although the end result not just as close as yesterday. I could get another 2 or 3 decent shaves out this blade, and as I normally get only 2 shaves from any blade, including Feathers and 7 O'Clocks, this has to be the best blade I've ever used. Very impressed!

Back
Top Bottom