New Forest shedder

I bought a little used NF a few months back on here and have persevered with it for 20-30 shaves but it sheds quite badly each time I use it. I was hoping it would settle down but it hasn't, and I'm losing patience.

What are the chances it will settle? Or have I just been unlucky? I have another small NF I bought new that hasn't shed a single hair, so I am thinking I just got unlucky.

Thoughts?

My tubby is doing this quite a bit lately. It's been a trooper for 4-5 years and I'll be sad to have to replace it

Any idea how much hair loss will result in a noticeable drop in performance?

It seems to me that if a knot sheds consistently there's a problem that will only get worse - take up Greg's offer to re-set the whole knot.

By the way Greg, I didn't know you did this so it's something to bear in mind.

My tubby is doing this quite a bit lately. It's been a trooper for 4-5 years and I'll be sad to have to replace it

Any idea how much hair loss will result in a noticeable drop in performance?
According to the Shavemac site there's about 14,000 hairs in a 21mm knot - so you would need to lose loads on a daily basis before you would notice a significant deterioration. However, that's not the issue for me - it's the nuisance of having to disturb the shave to pull them out of the lather.

+1 unlucky. I already owned a NF brush (which has yet to shed a hair) when I bought Bryan's last high mountain badger brush after he shut shop. That started to shed hairs fairly soon after and although the loss has subsided recently, it still loses one or two almost every time. C'est la vie.

Regards,
Chris

Back
Top Bottom