New level of pretentiousness at BandB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
InBeforeTheLock.gif

Jeltz said:
spandexcodpiece said:
andyjreid said:
We could always request this thread to be locked down?

Yes, I guess that might be a good idea now andy! I have just had a final say in a later post regarding forum activity in general, so now might be a good idea. What do you do, PM Boab or Antdad ?
I'm not sure Antdad can help you

Well come on then Jeltz, how do you go about requesting a thread be "locked down"? And why couldn't Antdad do it anyway, not pissed already is he? :lol:

spandexcodpiece said:
Well come on then Jeltz, how do you go about requesting a thread be "locked down"? And why couldn't Antdad do it anyway, not pissed already is he? :lol:
Well you have to be a Moderator or Admin to do it, Deputy Stewards, just don't have the power.

Bruceonshaving said:
Well this is an email I received from a mod here telling me I mustn't mention eBay, which is where we get a lot of our vintage kit. Yet on B&B the Fido threads are still running. I posted twice to one of them today:

Bruce

In re: Subject: Items on eBay

Let me put it to you another way - you alone with this eBay thread have generated more PM traffic to me as a moderator than any other person ever. Not one of those messages is in your favour.

To my knowledge, we (myself & Boab) have yet to issue a bona fide warning on this board in over a year - I did issue one about 12 months ago, but that was more of a comedy 'testing testing 1...2...3...' moment, mostly to check if the mechanism worked as expected. I would like to keep it that way. Sure spammers have been detected, banned & deleted, but no other member has created the vitriolic reaction that you have managed to with this eBay thread.

Nobody is going to go ape if there's the odd link to an eBay item (especially if someone asks for it) - it's the concentration of them that is raising hackles here.

A forum with 444 registered users (of whom there are a significant number are registered but have never posted - just like any other forum) is never going to be "jumping" with posts, but more people will join if it's full of posts of interest rather than a heap of links to eBay that will be dead links inside 4 months.

I ask you again, please give it a rest on the eBay links. I shall not ask a third time.

Jason

Bruce, I don't think it's very wise or informative posting that here, that's between a Mod and Yourself.......things like this will just put people off, especially new prospective members......I don't really want to see this kind of stuff on here, what is it you want to achieve with it mate ?

if you are not happy with that e-mail you should direct it at the person who sent it to you, not in front of all of us..

Not wanting an argument or a big debate about it.....just giving you my point of view mate ok.

steve

Bruce, I'm not one of those that have PM'd the powers that be but its kind of an unsaid thing that we don't link to active auctions as it could be seen as shilling and those that been watching get upset by the increased interest.

However, it has been said 1st off with a degree of subtlety then blatantly and now you choose to make public a private email. :roll: Fact is if other members are getting peeved and PM'ing HM then what should he do? Address their issues or ignore them? Knowing when to intercede and when to hang back is one of the hardest things to do when moderating and I've moderated a very argumentative board, Boab wouldn't want me as a Mod as I wouldn't be anywhere near as light touch, I wouldn't have been anywhere near as tolerant as HM.

Perhaps you would like to see the reaction if you chose to start an Ebay thread over at B&B compare like for like!

I totally agree with the above i dont see any need for you to show this e-mail and also belive there is nothing wrong with the content. I never pm anyone with about your ebay post but did post my opinion. And have to say all you are doing is making me wish as boab said there was a twat smiley.

Personally I don't think anything that's been said in a PM from one member to another (never mind from a moderator to a member) should then be posted for all to see.

Saying that, none of the links Bruce posted were particularly for auctions that anyone would realistically be interested in bidding in IMO, but a thread made up solely of one member posting ebay links isn't the most interesting to read.

Oh, Bruce! Muchos uncool, dude. Unless you had permission to post that PM on the forum from the person who sent it to you, which mightbe the case, but that would also normally be stated in the post/and or the PM.

I have OCD too, but it doesn't mean one has to see how many people one can tick off by crossing however many lines one chooses to cross, and discarding basic forum etiquette, does it?

For what it's worth, I have used the power of self-censorship on threads such as the ebay onanism-fest you have going on, whilst hoping you would get clued-up and desist. Frankly though, had I been able to afford to bid in any of those auctions, & were I so inclined to bid, I'd be more pissed off than annoyed, on several levels, by having the live auction linked in this, or any forum.

I believe their is just a bit of common sense and manners is all that is needed here i love this forum as it is so open to people saying their mind and not filled with people that talking to is like banging your head of a brick wall. Like for instance when you mentioned your blog and someone said about all the advertising and you stated it generates pennies and does not even barly cover your hosting costs I bit my tounge rather than liking to site that will show how much both your blogs generate and it will cover defiently cover hostings cost no problems. The reason i did this is i so no reason to link this is it is trival and petty like showing a e mail from a mod. Anyway back to badger stabbing

quote="Jeltz"]
spandexcodpiece said:
Well you have to be a Moderator or Admin to do it, Deputy Stewards, just don't have the power.[/quote]

:lol: Indeed Deputy Stewards have no power whatsoever...for anybody who didn't get it.

Anyhow back to Brucey. I have complained (not on this occasion) about live auction links that I was interested in. It's bloody infuriating and frankly inconsiderate.
I'm not really sure what Bruce hoped to achieve by posting the mod correspondence, it all seemed perfectly reasonable to me and I'm not very reasonable at all. As for the blog well it feels like TSR is being used as content fodder and instead of contributing he's just trawling for tit bits, there's no real insight or quality, just chucking out what he can find. That's what pro blogger's do.

I watched the European Athletics Championships 'till 9pm. Must have nodded off after that.

Good lord, I thought shilling was what I used to have with my pound and penny. What an interesting read this has been this morning. I mentioned on another forum that I usually observe Disraeli's maxim "never complain, never explain" It helps often in politics.

I'm with those that think we should return to calmer waters. I love this website and hope that we quickly get back to our usual camaraderie.

I thought this situation might have developed overnight and sure enough. The general consensus is clear now, surely? This forum has been working very nicely for over a year now and the overwhelming majority of us are perfectly happy with how it is run. It's worth bearing in mind that we are all Boab's guests, but I thought everyone knew that.

pedro083 said:
I hope you put a paypal claim against him. If you sent a gift inform paypal he asked for this and at least make life difficult for him might even lose his paypal.

DOIT.gif

Tigradekat said:
To my surprise I received the following PM by one of the mods over B&B this morning:

Hi. The site has recently been inundated by shilling for this company. Your first four posts are about these brushes, and they have been removed. Enjoy the site, but please refrain from reviewing these products until you are an established member.

Thanks

Just because I posted a favorable review of the 2201 brush as my first post and participated in an existing thread about the brush I am now a shill for Fido?! What the hell? I feel like posting as much 2201 threads over there while I can before they ban me just to spite the little fuckers. Just so they know what actual shilling is like. :evil:

Holy Bullsh*t & Bile. I reckon its quite obvious that 9000 post counts is what matters and not the content of what is posted. Don't recall how many posts I have over there but I'm certainly more qualified than any of those tw*ts to review a brush. The only brushes I haven't molested are overpriced $200-$600 or even these butterscotch boner inducing brushes. Which I don't care for nor will I ever want in my collection.

Bruceonshaving said:
It is just that B&B is infuriating.
It is by far the best and biggest traditional shaving resource on the internet. Of that there is no doubt.
However it seems imho to run an agenda add odds with the best interests of its members.

As for quirky/anal moderation, that is the norm for every forum on the internet, current company not excluded.
I run a successful forum in a different field and it is often difficult to know what the best interests of the members is. Some minorities make a lot of noise and don't represent the consensus.

I've learned nothing from BB other than it's full of butterscotch obsessed fiends with overpriced Best Eagles. It's not the "best" traditional shaving source. I've learned nothing from it. I learned everything on my own reading articles and such sans BB and no I don't want a cookie.

Well this is an email I received from a mod here telling me I mustn't mention eBay, which is where we get a lot of our vintage kit. Yet on B&B the Fido threads are still running. I posted twice to one of them today:

Bruce

If you've been at variety of forums even non-shave related its an unwritten rule to not post Egay links. Unless there's a forum specifically for Egay then and only then you can post links. No one's jumping on you because you fancy Chinese Badgers. Hell we all have them.

I reckon those New Forest brush threads at that infernal site is still running because said original poster has XXX amount of post counts. One I recall reading was first one Peter linked which member asked if it was "genuine 2-band."

I can guarantee you in spite of my posting my shave gear there in the whore yourself section, they'd sooner delete/edit my post regardless of what brush I review even though I'm more qualified than any of its members. I'm glad the permaban happened because I would be essentially wasting my life there not to mention they are not worthy of my awesome presence.

The difference with Bullsh*t & Bile compared to forums such as this is while this one certainly draws limitations it most certainly enjoys its freedom among other things. Other forums you can't freely bash on a vendor no matter how valid it is or however much proof you have of vendor being scum of all scum. BB is the king of all that is putrid. It's diarrhea that rips your *** a new gaping hole. It's the indigestion you don't want after a meal or that hangover you don't want in the early mornin.

You are forbidden to voice your opinion, speak your mind in any way shape or form. Those with higher post counts has a bigger e-c*ck than you and thus his opinion ratified by circle jerking fools. Most importantly they give your typical "hick" a bad name with their ignorance rising daily. BB exemplifies the adage "Ignorance is bliss."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom