New SE model coming out from Rocnel - and it has magnets

Trust Rocnel to do things just a little bit different - and what a relief, in a way, it is to see something that is not 'another Mongoose'. In a way I don't even think the most important thing here is if the razor shaves well or not - it's that there is continued development and slightly different ways of building a better mousetrap.
Sure, I'd love for it to shave well but I also hope that it's the sign of companies trying out new and different designs - if nothing else because it's fun.

What's the SE50N?
The Rocnel SE50 is, I think, a really good razor but there were some design choices that alienated a number of people - the rather unique blade loading and the almost oversized (and heavy head).

The SE50N, apparently, tries to address both of those concerns as the new razor sports a significantly slimmer head and a blade loading mechanism that uses magnets (the 'N' in SE50N stands for Neodymium magnets).

Manufacturing process: CNC machining
Material: 316 Stainless steel and Neodyum magnets

Weight: 81gr
Blade: AC style SE blades
Availability: June, 2017
Price: TBD

Video
Here's a video showing the difference between the current SE50 - and future SE50N
- and also how the blade is intended to be loaded.
Personally I'm loving the creativity here.

Some still photos of the prototype (one thing to finalize is how to encase the magnets in the head) - of the razor;
2jb8okj.jpg

29qce40.jpg

vxjcj6.jpg

Some photos to further show the difference between the current SE50 - and the upcoming SE50N:
288ck02.jpg

mcek28.jpg

I like the slimmer head and the blade loading is definitely easier. Not sure if the magnets will hold the blade in place adequately. Still, it is unique. Remembering that chart that DB posted a while ago about how the Rocnel prices increased sharply over the past year, I am just hoping this isn't another $200 razor from them.

I like the slimmer head and the blade loading is definitely easier. Not sure if the magnets will hold the blade in place adequately. Still, it is unique. Remembering that chart that DB posted a while ago about how the Rocnel prices increased sharply over the past year, I am just hoping this isn't another $200 razor from them.

Hm, yeah..let's hope the charted price trend doesn't continue. We'll see in six months I guess.
xm28gn.jpg

I just bought the SE50 and I'm waiting to fork out the hefty tax on it. I read it's a heavy razor.
This new SE50N with the magnets and slimmer head is definitely a good improvement modification, I have my concerns though how the magnets will hold the blade without moving completely, as this will make it a positively dangerous equipment to use. I do have faith though in the Rocnel boys to do a good job.
Will I buy it though? It depends on the price. If it's over the $200 mark, I think not. If it's priced like the SE50 I'll consider it if it's a better shaver than my other expensive SE's and after I have seen extensive reviews on its performance.
The last two things that caught my attention on the video is whether loading is safe. If it is, why then does the handler wear gloves to load it? Will loading be such a fiddly affair requiring wearing gloves not to cut one's fingers?
It also looks like it's a one piece razor. If it is, how will one clean the blade groove?

Last edited:
I just bought the SE50 and I'm waiting to fork out the hefty tax on it. I read it's a heavy razor.
This new SE50N with the magnets and slimmer head is definitely a good improvement modification, I have my concerns though how the magnets will hold the blade without moving completely, as this will make it a positively dangerous equipment to use. I do have faith though in the Rocnel boys to do a good job.
Will I buy it though? It depends on the price. If it's over the $200 mark, I think not. If it's priced like the SE50 I'll consider it if it's a better shaver than my other expensive SE's and after I have seen extensive reviews on its performance.
The last two things that caught my attention on the video is whether loading is safe. If it is, why then does the handler wear gloves to load it? Will loading be such a fiddly affair requiring wearing gloves not to cut one's fingers?
It also looks like it's a one piece razor. If it is, how will one clean the blade groove?

The gloves thing is kind of interesting. It's rather common on some categories of youtube videos (DIY, bushcraft, machining/crafting, ec). Seeing some of the responses by the glove-wearing people in these videos it seems like the most common reason is that they don't want their hands to distract from the product. This is, apparently, more common if the person is a machinist, etc and might have a bit of rough, dirty, scratched, etc, etc hands and want to avoid comments on that in the thread. Personally I couldn't care less how the hands looks but I can understand the logic.
Now, I have NO idea if this is the reason for the gloves in this video though :)

Anywho, it'll be interesting to see what changes the prototype will go through in the next 6-7 months.

The gloves thing is kind of interesting. It's rather common on some categories of youtube videos (DIY, bushcraft, machining/crafting, ec). Seeing some of the responses by the glove-wearing people in these videos it seems like the most common reason is that they don't want their hands to distract from the product. This is, apparently, more common if the person is a machinist, etc and might have a bit of rough, dirty, scratched, etc, etc hands and want to avoid comments on that in the thread. Personally I couldn't care less how the hands looks but I can understand the logic.
Now, I have NO idea if this is the reason for the gloves in this video though :)

Anywho, it'll be interesting to see what changes the prototype will go through in the next 6-7 months.
I do kind of like the way it looks Darkbulb, I only wish the magnets were concealed so one could not see them at the bottom plate. I will eventually take your advise upon your review of it, whether to buy or not, but If you know of a vendor in Europe other than Turkey, that would be a big help toward the buying decision.

I do kind of like the way it looks Darkbulb, I only wish the magnets were concealed so one could not see them at the bottom plate. I will eventually take your advise upon your review of it, whether to buy or not, but If you know of a vendor in Europe other than Turkey, that would be a big help toward the buying decision.
You're an insightful man my friend - note my easily missed comment from the first post;
"one thing to finalize is how to encase the magnets in the head" :)

Why not make it into a 3 piece razor, encase the magnets from above and align the two plates together.
This way you make cleaning of the insides easier.
Makes sense since it appears that the handle is a standard set screw type. This way they can put tabs on the side to prevent the blade from moving around. IBC uses magnets to secure the blade on their three way shavette, but they use it to keep the blade in place while you screw one side of the blade holder to the other.

Back
Top Bottom