New to DE shaving, need help please

Hi Everyone

Many thanks for the responses, really appreciate it. I think it was a combination of things, firstly the angle wasn't correct, so watched a few you tube videos and believe I'm shaving at the correct angle now. Also the blade I was using was a 'Derby' blade, practiced with the blade 3 times before switching to an Astra Supreme and this blade made a massive difference! The Astra blades makes the shave feel smooth, will also like to try the Feather and 7 o clock blades after doing some reading on here.

Couple more questions

1) Can anyone recommend where to get cheap blade sample packs?
2) Having trouble getting a clean shave on the neck area, using the three pass technique. Can anyone give any advice?

Regards

Mr S said:
Couple more questions

http://connaughtshaving.com/ - highly recommended, very fast service, also has an ebay shop under the same name

2) Having trouble getting a clean shave on the neck area, using the three pass technique. Can anyone give any advice?

I'll leave this to others to answer as I'm still working on this after a year :icon_razz:
Regards

Mr S said:

I've only been DE shaving a month or so, i normally only do 2 passes and a slight touch up and get a great clean shave.

pass one - WTG straight down face and neck
pass two - XTG on face, ATG on neck

Practice, practice , practice.
I had a similar start, (about 2 months in now). The neck is difficult for me too, i try for a ATX and AGT scything action, head on ATG just leads to claret for me.
Best advice i can give as a beginner is try to get into a set routine, don't chop and change equipment hoping that'll be a fix, you have to work for it.

It took a while before it all just clicked, now i'm doing two passes with some chin buffing and i'm BBS, a far cry from my first week.

Good luck!.

Paul.

Gravy said:
I've only been DE shaving a month or so, i normally only do 2 passes and a slight touch up and get a great clean shave.

pass one - WTG straight down face and neck
pass two - XTG on face, ATG on neck

DEnoob said:
Practice, practice , practice.
I had a similar start, (about 2 months in now). The neck is difficult for me too, i try for a ATX and AGT scything action, head on ATG just leads to claret for me.
Best advice i can give as a beginner is try to get into a set routine, don't chop and change equipment hoping that'll be a fix, you have to work for it.

It took a while before it all just clicked, now i'm doing two passes with some chin buffing and i'm BBS, a far cry from my first week.

Good luck!.

Paul.

Please guys - HELP! What does all the blue mean, would be a great help to me to understand these posts.

Sorry for confusing you, my post had a few typo's :blush:, was suppose to be Across The Grain and Against The Grain, BBS is baby butt smooth.

Hope that helps :icon_razz:

The only man to enter Parliament with good intentions was GUY FAWKES.

Also the only one to actually attempt to carry out what he had originally promised !

Johnny"Politicians want to look good rather than do good". O. \:angel:

Thanks guys, confusion over. Will be able to read the posts a bit better now, problem is obviously my age. :s

JohnnyO said:
The only man to enter Parliament with good intentions was GUY FAWKES.

Also the only one to actually attempt to carry out what he had originally promised !

Johnny"Politicians want to look good rather than do good". O. \:angel:

I whole heartily agree! The only thing worse than a politician, is two of them!

Hi,

I'm in a similar boat. I got the Boots DE as a starter to get a taste for it and found that I looked forward to shaving. A month on I've just got a Edwin Jagger 89 with the barley handle, thought it would be easier to hold with wet hands.

I've used a Derby blade and was disappointed with the first few shaves. I put an Astra blade (blue box) in this morning and I've had to give it about 5 goes to get it smooth. The plate is in the right way.

I'm wondering if the Edwin Jagger is too mild. I was getting good results with the boots handle and blade, with a few cuts along the way but put this down to learning. Should I have looked at another razor?

At the minute I'm using up the shaving gel I have left from cartridge shaving.

Any pointers would be great?

midlife_crisis said:
Hi,

I'm in a similar boat. I got the Boots DE as a starter to get a taste for it and found that I looked forward to shaving. A month on I've just got a Edwin Jagger 89 with the barley handle, thought it would be easier to hold with wet hands.

I've used a Derby blade and was disappointed with the first few shaves. I put an Astra blade (blue box) in this morning and I've had to give it about 5 goes to get it smooth. The plate is in the right way.

I'm wondering if the Edwin Jagger is too mild. I was getting good results with the boots handle and blade, with a few cuts along the way but put this down to learning. Should I have looked at another razor?

At the minute I'm using up the shaving gel I have left from cartridge shaving.

Any pointers would be great?

Do you have any other blades Astra blades just might not be for you or not the best with the ej and you.

@ midlife.

Stick with it, you'll start getting better results when you switch to using a brush with soap/cream and start lathering properly.

It will lift and hydrate the beard allowing you to get closer and try a blade sample pack from Connaught.

Yep, I have a selection of blades, including the green box Astra, Wilkinson classic, Dorco and Shark.

You think it's down to finding a suitable blade for the EJ89.

I'm looking forward to getting started with a brush. Just want to use up the gel first, cutting down the variables and wastage.

Could be, introduce yourself in the Welcome section and tell us your experience to date that way you'll get tailored advice that's specific to your current issues.

Mr S said:
Hi Everyone

Many thanks for the responses, really appreciate it. I think it was a combination of things, firstly the angle wasn't correct, so watched a few you tube videos and believe I'm shaving at the correct angle now. Also the blade I was using was a 'Derby' blade, practiced with the blade 3 times before switching to an Astra Supreme and this blade made a massive difference! The Astra blades makes the shave feel smooth, will also like to try the Feather and 7 o clock blades after doing some reading on here.

Couple more questions

Regards

Hi,

Keep going and practicing it is 100% worth it!

My everyday morning shave is:
Pass 1: WTG
Pass 2: XTG face ear to nose and ATG neck
Pass 3: ATG face and neck

For about 3 months when I started I just did 2 passes as above, got quite a good result too. I use Merkur 34C HD with either a Feather or Astra Blue blade. I find the Astra is slightly better for me. Took ages to find the right blade and technique for my face and beard but got there in the end.

Back
Top Bottom