New to DE what blades to get?

Im going to be switching from generic supermarket razors to a Edwin Jagger DE89,
but what blades should I get?
Was considering a sample pack any suggestions on what blades and what website to use?

Have a look at the Connaught Shaving website. They have a great range of blades and sample packs. Personally I tried the Popular and the Gillette packs when I started.

If you have not shaved with a DE before, I would personally recommend that you use the same gear for at least 2 weeks to get used to the technique required, and that includes using the same blade.

Good "middle of the road" blades that I can recommend are Sharks. Either the Super Stainless or the Super Chrome. I find the Super Chrome to be slightly better. Personna blades get good reports but I personally don't get on with them particulalrly well.

By all means by a sample pack, but I'd stick to one brand of blade initially.

Ian

Yes, use a moderate blade to get your technique sorted, then you can go for a Connaught Shaving sample pack - that way, you'll have a baseline shave with the blades you learned your technique with, enabling you to compare each new blade type you try with that baseline.

I would recommend either Astra Superior Platinum or SuperMax Blue Diamond. But whichever you choose, use the same razor and blade for at least 2-4 weeks to get used to DE shaving.

If it would help you Shayler, PM me your address and I'll put 5 of each in the post to you.

If you change razors and blades too frequently, you won't be honing your technique too much.

The Sharks mentioned above are also good, but I far preferred the Chrome over the steel.

On average how long does a blade last?
I was looking at the Supermax blades on ebay they are pretty cheap, what is better out of Supermax Blue Diamond and Supermax Super Stainless? They are both about the same price

I habitually dump blades after the third shave (each shave is usually 3 passes). Some will last longer, but, given how much cheaper even the most expensive DE blades are than cartridges, I prefer not to keep using them until the point where they become dull.

I saw an article that said blades last on average 6 shaves!!! I don't believe it. 6 passes maybe.

I think because we all love the different results you get, especially during the early months, we change our blades more frequently than you HAVE to. Its more fun that way.
Personally, 2 to 3 shaves and I'm wanting to sample a new blade!

It takes a bit of experimentation to find the correct combination for each individual. One man's good shave is a bad one for someone else. Most important is to work hard to get your technique right. Drop me a pm if you'd like a selection of blades - they were kindly given to me by other members so more than happy to pass them on.

Greetings

My advice for what it's worth would be this:- You will never get two people to agree on razor blade choice, because everybody's face and beard are different and are more or less tolerant to the inevitable friction that shaving causes, some people have skin like water buffalo, and they will rarely or ever experience irritation/tenderness/soreness no matter how fierce a blade and razor they use. These folk are arguably the fortunate ones and can experiment with anything on the market and will give opinions on certain razors and blades that will make some folk think.... surely this is not for real! Well it is to them and many of them fail to realise that most lesser mortals fall somewhere in the middle range.

There are of course those less fortunate souls with sensitive or very sensitive skin that need to exercise some or extreme care over their razor and blade choice, FOR these people only the lightest caress of razor and blade will leave them without tenderness, they can however achieve a perfect shave, but their options of choice are so much narrower.

Having said all of this, I would suggest the starting point could be to walk into Tesco's and purchase a packet of their DE blades which are Israeli Personnas (Israeli Reds) minus all of the markings, these are an excellent middle of the road blade. Use them all and as Chris Bell states don't push them, bin them after three shaves . When you are near the end of the packet then buy a tester variety pack and try them all. This way you will at least have a yardstick to judge the new different blades against.

Did I do it this way.....no I jinked about from blade to blade and it took me ten times as long to work out what I liked and what suited my beard.

It is a wise man who learns by his mistakes but an even wiser one that learns by the mistakes of some other bugger!

Regards
Dick.

Avoid Lazer blades as they are awful.

A sample pack is usually a good way to try different blades, or you could try your own 'pick and mix' approach. That is, buy 5 or 10 blades of different brands based on reviews and recommendations. For me it would be

10 Feather (very sharp so use last) from Connaught Shaving Supplies or The English Shaving Company
10 Gillette 'yellow' (sharp) from Connaught Shaving
10 Gillette 'green' (smooth) from Connaught Shaving
10 Gillette Superthin from Connaught Shaving
10 Timor (high quality, a bit expensive) from Connaught Shaving
10 Persona 'red' (good, and pretty cheap at the price) from Connaught Shaving
10 Wilkinson Sword Classic (okay) from Boots, Wilkinsons, or The English Shaving Company

and try a few others like Egyptian, Indian, Pakistan and other razor blades which don't always get a look in, but you never know what you might find.

Don't be tempted to buy pillar packs or large quantities of the same blade unless you know they are suitable.

Norfolkdick said:
Greetings

some people have skin like water buffalo, and they will rarely or ever experience irritation/tenderness/soreness no matter how fierce a blade and razor they use. These folk are arguably the fortunate ones and can experiment with anything on the market and will give opinions on certain razors and blades that will make some folk think.... surely this is not for real! Well it is to them and many of them fail to realise that most lesser mortals fall somewhere in the middle range.

Regards
Dick.

Nice reading your post,

Yeah, there was some good helpful info that hopefully new people will see and take to heart. Far as having to use a very mild razor goes, there's still some very good options available....just not as many.

Now the only thing I'd differ with you on in that top paragraph of yours is the last line. Yeah, I think there's a darker reason these guys recommend an aggressive razor to a new guy. These members are the shaving forum version of Loki.

Yeah, they got a perverse sense of humor.....all of em. They revel in the fact they're immune to the various vampire razors out there. Believe me, those members understand very well what they're saying to new guys... telling em how nice and mild a bloodsucker type is. It's their nature I think (the bastards).

Martin

dodgy said:
Norfolkdick said:
Greetings

some people have skin like water buffalo, and they will rarely or ever experience irritation/tenderness/soreness no matter how fierce a blade and razor they use. These folk are arguably the fortunate ones and can experiment with anything on the market and will give opinions on certain razors and blades that will make some folk think.... surely this is not for real! Well it is to them and many of them fail to realise that most lesser mortals fall somewhere in the middle range.

Regards
Dick.

Nice reading your post,

Yeah, there was some good helpful info that hopefully new people will see and take to heart. Far as having to use a very mild razor goes, there's still some very good options available....just not as many.

Now the only thing I'd differ with you on in that top paragraph of yours is the last line. Yeah, I think there's a darker reason these guys recommend an aggressive razor to a new guy. These members are the shaving forum version of Loki.

Yeah, they got a perverse sense of humor.....all of em. They revel in the fact they're immune to the various vampire razors out there. Believe me, those members understand very well what they're saying to new guys... telling em how nice and mild a bloodsucker type is. It's their nature I think (the bastards).

Martin

YMMV!

Back
Top Bottom