New to safety razor shaving

Hi guys,

so I've recently started shaving with a safety razor, so new I've only done it twice! and so far I can say I love it already, and cannot wait to really start learning how to shave properly.

The first time I shaved was Wednesday just gone, I did 4 passes which now I know was a bit excessive, as I ended up with quite a sore face and razor burns which accompanied me for around 4 days, but I definitely had a smooth face.

Today I had another shave which has gone considerably smoother, done 3 passes, 2 with the grain and 1 sideways, but there's still a slight stubble around my neck area, but I'm not feeling any irritation apart from the minor razor burns I received from my first shave.

Now as for equipment I use an EJ89 I believe with astra platinum blades and taylor of all bond street sandalwood scent. My brush, now I know why brushes are expensive because you really can notice the quality. I purchased a brush from Amazon for around £6, not sure what type of hair it is but it certainly isn't very kind to my face. Even though I have lathered twice and need to break it in, I'm already considering purchasing a higher quality brush. I don't know if anyone has bought any of the silver tip badger brushes from ebay, are they any good? or should I stick to a reputable brand.

Look forward to hearing from you guys, thanks!

Welcome to the forum.
Certainly made a good start with a decent, razor, blades and shaving cream. A new brush would be a worthwhile investment. Depends if you want a brush with a bit of a backbone or more of a painter. Would stick with the reputable names.
My first brush was a Vulfix Grovenor boar/ badger mix which can be had pretty cheap for about £12. Good backbone. If you want a softer brush then the synthetics seem all the rage.
Muhle in particular carries a good reputation.
Again depends on budget. Simpsons brushes are also highly regarded. I have a simpsons Colonel for sale on BST with extras added (Shameless plug).
Enjoy shaving and the community in the room. It is a lot of fun. You will find that you keep buying more and more.can be very addictive

Thanks for your reply! yes I can believe that it can be very addictive, I have quite an addictive nature too! as I collect watches! so have to be very careful and say no when I see something I want :p

I gave my wife the excuse that I would actually save money by not buying cartridge razors. Didn't happen
Spent lots but enjoyed every moment
There are a lot of good people on here with a wealth of knowledge. Enjoy the ride.

Ps believe there are a few members who are into fine watches too so you may have a few things in common

Vie-Long horse hair brushes are also worth considering and start at quite cheap prices. They can smell a wee bit at first but it dosent last long. To date I have 2 Vie-long horses and a Vie-long horse/badger mix. I think shaving station has some as well as gifts and care.

Welcome to the forum btw.

Jim

Glad to welcome you. As far as brushes go, my favorite is an Omega 11047 mixed bristle brush. It's quite small, but holds a lot of lather.
Being a mix of boar and badger it is soft, but has enough backbone to handle even hard soaps.

Enjoy the journey and have fun!
~

Welcome:)

I started with a Wilkinson Sword brush for a month or so. Then I upgraded to an Edwin Jagger Best Badger brush; it was like night and day.
I do recommend upgrading the brush, it is relatively cheap and makes a huge difference.

Here's the one I got. Maybe a bit small for most but it suits me (for now).

And let's not forget spending 2 quid on a Styptic pencil for those occassional weepers than come along in our travels
Stings like the Hades of Hell but a great little tool in the Den

Welcome to TSR. You've got some decent stuff there. There are lots of decent brushes out there, it really depends on how you want to use it. But a few different ones to compare!

Back
Top Bottom