Newbie 'whatshouldIbuy' questions...

OK... I've been reading and reading (and reading) in various books and forums, and I've read so much that now I'm just hopelessly undecided.

For a while now, I've been practising with a shavette, and while I haven't quite mastered the art, I think I'm about ready to do what I REALLY want to do and get a proper, no-messin' straight razor.

Please pardon a poor newbie for asking questions that have probably been asked millions of times, but...

I have my eye on a really nice Thiers-Issard razor ('low-end', but that's still over £100 which is a lot to me on my tiny pension!). Would I be mad to buy this as my first razor? I mean, am I about 98% certain to ruin my first razor by really bad stropping or honing technique?
(I have to be honest, the whole strop/hone thing sounds really difficult to a klutz like me, and a potential disaster waiting to happen!)

I'm guessing that if I hopelessly blunt my razor, I could send it off to Millars or Invisible Edge or somewhere to be re-honed, but I'm just wondering if I'd be better to start with something decidedly cheapish instead.

Ditto with the strop. I keep reading that newbies WILL ruin their strop - but are cheap strops any good, or will they just make me even MORE certain to ruin the razor?

Any tips will be gratefully received!

The best advice I can give you is go to Neils website or contact him on here and buy a cheap strop and razor from him then learn to use it.

After a period of time if you want to upgrade go for it and the stuff you started with can be sold on and get some of your money back.

http://www.strop-shop.co.uk/

His name is Neil Miller and he is a very good bloke to deal with if you are just starting out the above link is to his website.

Good luck and report back with how things turn out.

What Graham says. You need a shave ready razor and a cheap and cheerful strop, there being no point in spending much on the latter to start with because you're bound to nick it until the technique has become second nature. By all means go with the TI, but the right reconditioned vintage razor at less than half the price would be every bit as good, if not better. Best to have a wee word with Neil - you'll find that he's very generous with advice.

Many thanks for all the advice - I'll definitely get in touch with Neil.

I must admit, much as I love the idea of the new TI, I think I almost prefer the idea of a razor that's even older than I am!!!

I'll give him a shout, and report back in a little while.

Thanks again!

Yeah id go with a cheaper razor for now then one for 100 notes

im now and iv got myself a Paragon Sheffield razor for £30 with next day delivery

all the best

Joe

I've been in touch with Neil (who seems to be a really nice guy). He's going to see what he can come up with. I'm beginning to think I actually PREFER the idea of shaving with a razor that's older than myself, rather than a shiny 'made yesterday' one.

Or could this just be an early symptom of the dreaded RAD???

I'll keep you posted on what I actually get.

fatboy1971 said:
srad wot fun, really affects the bank balance :)

Tell me about it. This little hobby that should be saving me money has made me, yes made me kit my workshop out and get loads of hones and collect just about every straight razor I can get my hands on. Not to mention all the strops that I seem to be collecting and making.

It's a good job SWMBO doesn't get hold of my bank statements or there would be real trouble in the Exile household.:s

OK, just reporting back as promised.

Neil offered me a choice of a Kropp or a Bengall. Looking at the photos, both were really nice. The Kropp in particular looked stunning, but there was just something about the Bengall that 'spoke' to me.

"Buy me", it said. So I did! Also a beginner's strop.

MANY thanks to those of you who pointed me in Neil's direction. I'll let you know how it goes when I actually try to shave with the thing (this morning's shavette shave could have... um... could have gone better...) :)

On a side note, is it possible to become addicted to scent? I've just treated myself to a bottle of Trumper's 'Curzon'. I suspect that illegal drugs might have been cheaper to buy!!! But I love the stuff (uh, I mean the Curzon, not the illegal drugs!!)

Back
Top Bottom