Newbie with irritation...

Hi folks, I'm a proper newbie here, and have been having a good look round, so please be kind :)

I'm 29 and in the last few months have had this problem with shaving bumps on my right cheek, and they have just started to appear on my left one now. On closer inspection, the irritated areas seem to have 2 hairs growing together, I'm guessing in the same follicle. As this is common and natural, I'm looking for ways to stop the shaving bumps/burn and have a nice clean shave which I used to have.

I've started using a wilkinson sword DE razor and clinique face scrub, shave gel and post shave healer as I received them as a gift and have used them before and had great shaves, but I'm sure there are probably other products which may be more beneficial...

I'm interested if anyone has got rid of this problem and what products/methods worked?

Thanks!

I couldn't think of anything to add to HMs admirable summary, but now you mention it - just go for a shave. Overdoing it seems to be a very common cause of red faces, so just aim for comfort for now.

For me it was going against the grain that caused them and about 80% of the irritation. Can still get very but not too close with with the grain and maybe two passes across the grain.

use a proper soap, not some goooooo out of a can, also dont use too much presure, let the razor do the work. and start shaving with the grain for a few weeks, until ya face gets used to it. :shave
and above all enjoy the shave :D :D

Hi Derris

I used to get these and strangely was the same age as you, as did my mate. I think they are caused by ingrowing hairs. I let them settle but they always came back as a nasty spot. Eventually I pulled them out with tweezers. They resembled two hairs coming from one root. I am not advocating you should try this, but it worked for me. The next morning there was no sign of any problem, and they never came back.

Regards

When I get the occasional ingrown it will stay as a bump until it is out, after which the skin will heal in one day.

Try watching Mantic59's youtube channel, he has a video of dealing with ingrowns. I believe he advocates making a paste of a crushed aspirin and water, and smearing that on the ingrown. I have not tried it, but it couldn't hurt...

/Max

Thanks for all your replies. I have been shaving with a nice Edwin Jagger DE razor for over two months now, and only shaving with the grain, one pass with some proper soap (taylors of bond st - which I still have to learn to lather correctly!) and I haven't seen any improvement with the ingrowns, and I don't know what else to do, it's driving me mad! I've tried pretty much everything, even special gel that is supposed to help, but it doesn't seem to have :(

derris said:
Thanks for all your replies. I have been shaving with a nice Edwin Jagger DE razor for over two months now, and only shaving with the grain, one pass with some proper soap (taylors of bond st - which I still have to learn to lather correctly!) and I haven't seen any improvement with the ingrowns, and I don't know what else to do, it's driving me mad! I've tried pretty much everything, even special gel that is supposed to help, but it doesn't seem to have :(

Edit: Argh, can't read.

What blades have you used? Sorry, can't be of more help than that, DE ingrowns are beyond my expertise.
Oh, and how often do you change the blade? Do the ingrowns occur more frequently after X shaves?

Back
Top Bottom