Newcomer ... recommend me a brush

Hi folks! I've been proper shaving for about two and a half weeks now. I had a Wilkinson Sword supermarket brush which was replaced with one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Badger-Shaving-Brush-Black/dp/B00543G1HO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1382045288&sr=8-3&keywords=pure+badger+shaving+brush

... I didn't know any better when I bought my initial round of shaving gear.

I would say that it is a good brush - it lathers well, it's smooth and does the job.

But ...

I think I want more backbone. I have one of those faces that likes a good prodding when lathering up and this brush is really starting to feel ... well, soft.

I have a Vulfix 404 in my sights, having been a keen observer in the SOTD thread and having read around. The trouble with doing that is, you tend to focus in and miss the blindingly obvious alongside.

Thoughts, advice and recommendations for a course of action will be very much appreciated.

That is a good question.

Given that I am likely to be doing this for the rest of my natural life, I don't really have an upper limit. If I was to buy into the Silver Tip end of the market, I would like to spend wisely. Soft, yes, but I do want that backbone.

If there's a cheaper alternative down the ranks, I'd happily go for that ... out in left field, what about a synthetic?

You've seen what I have ...

... what next? Okay, £60. Tops.

Okay for £60 I have one great recommendation -> Simpsons Commodore X3 in Best Badger.. fits into your budget, great brush, great brand, great quality and will meet your requirements. You cannot go wrong with this brush. Not too big, not too small and the quality of it is simply outstanding.

Alternatively.. check out New Forest brushes (google them). I own quite a few of these and am very fond of them. The 2403 is a favourite of mine, I like the large handle. It's a great brush, especially for soap lathering.

If you like a bit of backbone and want badger then a New Forest 2 band would be a great choice at even greater value. The simulated ivory that Peter uses really has to be seen - it has a gorgeous, understated marbling throughout that really adds to the look and appeal. The 2403 looks gorgeous as does the 2402 and 2204. All are under £50 respectively.

However, the 404 'Bodger' is an outsanding brush for the money. Why not buy a 404 now and drop hints for an NF come Christmas time? A fella needs a goodly selection of brushes, after all. ;)

... a chap needs a selection. Wise words. I guess some days I'll want to shove of the hairs into my face and other days, I'll want the slick slap of my existing badger.

Still thinking ... thanks for the suggestions so far, folks. Each one is good and I'm looking into them all.

Gairdner said:
If you like a bit of backbone and want badger then a New Forest 2 band would be a great choice at even greater value.

I agree. Both of my NF brushes are two band... the 1901 and the Tubby 1. The 1901 is an excellent face-latherer, but the Tubby 1 does everything well... outstanding value.

+1 for the New Forest brushes. I recently bought one from Fido at a very good price and you would still have plenty change from your £60 to buy some soaps, creams, blades etc. I went for the 2401 Tigris Perla which is a bit different but very similar to a "Chubby" at a fraction of the price. Have to say as well that if you are looking for something to get in about the whiskers then these are the brushes for you.

Back
Top Bottom