not the best start!

Welcome aboard Paul.

You will find we are a helpful bunch here as Gordy has already shown.

My tuppence worth.

The blade is probably the worst thing in your setup. You should notice an improvement with the blades you are being sent.

Differences from cartridge shaving - Don't expect to get all of the stubble in one swipe, resist the urge to keep hacking at it. You will catch it when you lather up and go again in a different direction.

Pressure - Think if it as removing the lather not the stubble. That way you won't keep revisiting areas and you will avoid excess pressure.

Again, welcome aboard and enjoy :)

Welcome aboard Paul.

You will find we are a helpful bunch here as Gordy has already shown.

My tuppence worth.

The blade is probably the worst thing in your setup. You should notice an improvement with the blades you are being sent.

Differences from cartridge shaving - Don't expect to get all of the stubble in one swipe, resist the urge to keep hacking at it. You will catch it when you lather up and go again in a different direction.

Pressure - Think if it as removing the lather not the stubble. That way you won't keep revisiting areas and you will avoid excess pressure.

Again, welcome aboard and enjoy :)
Thanks Scowley, blade binned!

A tip for getting the angle right is to make sure that the cap (the curved top bit above the blade) and the guard (the bit below the blade) are both touching your face when you shave. The single blade does not drag nearly as much as the 3 blades in the mach 3, so it might feel like it is not cutting even when it is. Try to pay attention to the sound that the blade makes to tell when it is cutting, and if you still think you are not cutting then try to resist the urge to press on harder and check your angle.

It can be slow going at first as you will need to unlearn all your shaving habits from the mach 3, but it will become second nature once you get some practice.

Top lip was a tricky area for me too. Try shaving your top lip downwards first and then on your second pass shave from the outside of the lip inwards towards the middle.

I meant to ask Paul, how many strokes of the razor are you making when shaving a particular area? Is it in the same way you might with a Mach 3?
As previously mentioned, you really need to map out your beard direction and make a single pass with the grain (WTG). Further passes can then be made, one across the grain (XTG). I would stick to these two directions before you move against the grain (ATG), certainly on your neck. Never be tempted to take another pass over the same area without lather. Never ever try to shave an area that has no lather, just because it may be easier to see it.
There are a great many videos on YouTube, from the likes of GeoFatBoy and Mantic59. There's a bit more research with this style of shaving but it pays you back in ways you'd never imagine. Watch as much as you can and ask as many questions as you want. Never accept that what you are doing is the best way, there will always be another method, product, etc, around the corner that may suit you better.

Great advice you get here, Paul. There's a steep learning curve to this and everyone goes through some hardship at first until one gets the hang of things. I was a beard man more or less since I could call myself just that and until late 2014 when I acquired a Muhle R89, another of the usual start-up suspects among razors.

It's a chore, it's a hobby, it's meditation - and it has a straw into my wallet ;)

Welcome along!

A tip for getting the angle right is to make sure that the cap (the curved top bit above the blade) and the guard (the bit below the blade) are both touching your face when you shave. The single blade does not drag nearly as much as the 3 blades in the mach 3, so it might feel like it is not cutting even when it is. Try to pay attention to the sound that the blade makes to tell when it is cutting, and if you still think you are not cutting then try to resist the urge to press on harder and check your angle.

It can be slow going at first as you will need to unlearn all your shaving habits from the mach 3, but it will become second nature once you get some practice.

Top lip was a tricky area for me too. Try shaving your top lip downwards first and then on your second pass shave from the outside of the lip inwards towards the middle.
Thank you mate, im loving all the positive responces

Great advice you get here, Paul. There's a steep learning curve to this and everyone goes through some hardship at first until one gets the hang of things. I was a beard man more or less since I could call myself just that and until late 2014 when I acquired a Muhle R89, another of the usual start-up suspects among razors.

It's a chore, it's a hobby, it's meditation - and it has a straw into my wallet ;)

Welcome along!
Thank you mate. What a great site with so many great guys.. Regards Paul

I meant to ask Paul, how many strokes of the razor are you making when shaving a particular area? Is it in the same way you might with a Mach 3?
As previously mentioned, you really need to map out your beard direction and make a single pass with the grain (WTG). Further passes can then be made, one across the grain (XTG). I would stick to these two directions before you move against the grain (ATG), certainly on your neck. Never be tempted to take another pass over the same area without lather. Never ever try to shave an area that has no lather, just because it may be easier to see it.
There are a great many videos on YouTube, from the likes of GeoFatBoy and Mantic59. There's a bit more research with this style of shaving but it pays you back in ways you'd never imagine. Watch as much as you can and ask as many questions as you want. Never accept that what you are doing is the best way, there will always be another method, product, etc, around the corner that may suit you better.
Again many thanks mate, im taking it in and will defo put into practice all the great advice you and your fellow members are giving me...Regards Paul

Welcome I too am new and have had a big learning curve but getting there now it takes some getting used to and some products but enjoy the journeys do resist chasing a perfect shave and settle for the odd missed bit but without irritation, burn ect
Try a few blades and take your time 50 mins ish for a 3 pass and touch up isn't out of the question

Back
Top Bottom