OC Goodness

Well i've put off using the open comb Gillettes from Johnus for a few weeks as I've been busy and not wanted to rush using them.
I tried a few times but never gave them the 'new razor adjust time'.
So finally have used one this week and really enjoyed it. I have really enjoyed the aggressiveness but tamed it with time and patience to get some really close shaves.
They have given such a close shave with a few nicks that were down to me and blade angle on touching the face.
It makes a tech head seem fit for a baby.

I have an OC old Velvet and been using it this last week with a 7 o'clock yellow or Astra and always get a great shave, no irritation. It makes me keep the angle just right so I get better shaves!

I'm a "New" convert as well. Got two and have been using them exclusively for a month or so. Only do two passes WTG for a shave that matches a 3 pass shave, WTG/XTG with a bar razor. Lovely!
You can't lose concentration with them though, unless you want to look like it's Halloween every day.
I use Blue Diamonds with mine. Astra Greens are good too.

I really enjoy my New and Old Type - they're probably my favourites. Yes, the Old Type is liable to have a nibble if I'm hacking away mindlessly, but they're actually very practical. 2 passes and you're done. I'd prefer it if we kept a lid on extolling their virtues as I'm vaguely considering a 3-piece LC New to supplant my depleted- (and deplated-!) looking #77/#88!

Actually, on second thoughts, don't go near them. Terrible things.

I too really like OC razors. I love my NEW with a Weber Bulldog handle. It seems to clear the stubble easily but doesn't seem aggressive. I think efficient is the right word. One of my recent acquisitions is a #15 OC Aristocrat, I absilotely love that razor!

MachM said:
I too really like OC razors. I love my NEW with a Weber Bulldog handle. It seems to clear the stubble easily but doesn't seem aggressive. I think efficient is the right word. One of my recent acquisitions is a #15 OC Aristocrat, I absilotely love that razor!

Is the #15 a TTO OC? I like the look of those but they are way out of my budget usually.

The #15 is indeed a TTO OC. They're usually out of my budget too. The plating on this one was a bit rough in places so I got it for the princely sum of £35. Even with a rhodium replate it was still cheaper in the end than some of the ones you see on ebay.

The early '04 Gillettes are really my favorite DE's. right now I'm tuning the 1917 up for my 11-11-11 shave. This year I have a blade from back then I'm thinking of opening up to use(still sealed).

MachM said:
The #15 is indeed a TTO OC. They're usually out of my budget too. The plating on this one was a bit rough in places so I got it for the princely sum of £35. Even with a rhodium replate it was still cheaper in the end than some of the ones you see on ebay.
Jammy!

Back
Top Bottom