OC or Slant?

Gravy said:
Thanks all, i think i'll get a slant and maybe a gillette NEW or similar head to use on my weber handle sometime in the new year.

My very first thought of a reply when I read your original post was to say "Both", because that's what happens.

"Should I get Razor x or razor Y?" The person asking the question usually ends up with both :)

Ian

i'm going to have my first shave with the slant tonight.

which way do you guys align the blade?

i assume it should be aligned with the guide bar so the blade gap is the same over the length as that is the way it aligns when i drop the blade in, the blade looks like a guillotine on both sides.

If i aligned it with the cap when i tighten it up, the blade gap varies so it would be like using an adjustable on 2 at one end and 5 at the other end.

Gravy said:
i'm going to have my first shave with the slant tonight.

which way do you guys align the blade?

i assume it should be aligned with the guide bar so the blade gap is the same over the length as that is the way it aligns when i drop the blade in, the blade looks like a guillotine on both sides.

If i aligned it with the cap when i tighten it up, the blade gap varies so it would be like using an adjustable on 2 at one end and 5 at the other end.

I've spent a long while trying to work this one out. As I see it, there are two complicating factors:

1. Having used both the pass-around Slant and the one I subsequently purchased for myself, it seems that two different Slants are not necessarily identical. My own Slant has much less of a difference in angle between the edge of the cap and the guard bar than the pass-around example.

2. Due to the manufacturing tolerances of the way Merkur makes the Slant, the blade can, as you've realised, sit in 2 different positions when the head is screwed in place, which is different from most, if not all other DE razors.

To give you an idea, with the pass-around Slant, I aligned with the guard bar, as aligning with the cap made it shave like a mild version of the 34c. On my Slant, I align with the cap, as it feels plenty aggressive enough.

HOWEVER, I think I know the reason. If you install the blade and get your eyeline set across the top of the head with the razor held in your hand as though you were about to shave you upper lip, and tilt it so that the top of the head, the blade edge and the guard bar are all in view at the same time, what you want to see is the blade appearing evenly across its width. If it sticks out a long way one one side, and disappears from view on the other, it's set incorrectly.

thanks all, i think i'll have to try it both ways and see which i prefer.

i'll start with it aligned to the guide bar (blade gap constant across width, showing more blade from one end to the other guillotine style) as that is the way the razor loads the blade everytime without me forcing the blade to be even both sides and aligned with the cap.

Gravy said:
thanks all, i think i'll have to try it both ways and see which i prefer.

i'll start with it aligned to the guide bar (blade gap constant across width, showing more blade from one end to the other guillotine style) as that is the way the razor loads the blade everytime without me forcing the blade to be even both sides and aligned with the cap.

Good plan - as I said, different examples are different in how the blade loads - mine either loads aligned with the cap about 2/3rds of the time (how I find that particular example works best), or really heavily slanted the rest of the time, so much so that the blade is more slanted even than the guard bar.

so i just had my first shave with the slant (blade aligned with the guide bar). I haven't shaved all week as i wanted to see how it cuts through long whiskers.

OMG, if on this forum people had random acronyms in their signatures and one was the Brotherhood Of The Wonky Side Burns, i'd have that in my signature.

The 37c is awesome with a 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge, no tugging like i was getting on a weeks growth with my DLC.

I'll try out the Fatip for my next shave on the weekend :)

Gravy said:
so i just had my first shave with the slant (blade aligned with the guide bar). I haven't shaved all week as i wanted to see how it cuts through long whiskers.

OMG, if on this forum people had random acronyms in their signatures and one was the Brotherhood Of The Wonky Side Burns, i'd have that in my signature.

The 37c is awesome with a 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge, no tugging like i was getting on a weeks growth with my DLC.

I'll try out the Fatip for my next shave on the weekend :)

Have just ordered a Fatip myself, but I don't think it will arrive until after Christmas. Looking forward to hearing how you go with it.

Cheers,

Jon

jds said:
Have just ordered a Fatip myself, but I don't think it will arrive until after Christmas. Looking forward to hearing how you go with it.

Cheers,

Jon

it should be an interesting shave, as it will be my first shave with an Open Comb razor!

i just had my first ever OC shave with my Fatip Piccolo, i paid more attention and went slower than normal, but i liked the way it cut through the whiskers.

i only had a tiny bit of irritation on my neck, which i think was me not getting the cutting angle right ATG on the first stroke, other than that a very nice shave.

i dont know where the Fatip sits in the aggression scale, but i hardly needed to bother with a touchup pass.

So having tried a slant and and OC this week, i'm glad i bought both :)

i might try my Weber bulldog handle on the Fatip for my next shave, i'll probably buy a vintage OC to add to my collection at some point as well.

My current line up
XCMYi4q7

Back
Top Bottom