Old Spice\Blue Stratos

i ordered 3 samples from Paul last time round

Old Spice Original
Old Spice Lime
Blue Stratos

the OS being the one that's still made in India and a lot closer to the original Shulton scent than the new P&G one which i think is pretty crap, but i'm looking for a hit of nostalgia so the new stuff might appeal to the younger ones who have never smelt the original.

the first one i tried was the Blue Stratos and as an a\s it worked well but i wasn't expecting the reaction i got from the wife :shock:
she absolutely loved it ;)
probably reminds her of some hunky ex with a big boaby :roll:

another scent originally from Shulton but this version must be damn close to the real one as she guessed it on the first whiff.

the OS original worked just as well as the BS in the skincare dept, as does the lime, but something's missing :?
no flood of memories of my old man shaving and the smell lingering on bath night.
she wasn't that impressed either.

so if anyone has some original OS i'd love to compare it against this stuff to see if it's my memory that is betraying me or if there is a big difference between them.

Hando, is this the Paul from the decant club? I'm interested in some samples myself, but am a little unsure about the ordering/payment procedure. Can this be done through PayPal?

I picked up a 30ml bottle of Blue Stratos in T.J. Hughes today for £2.00. Worth a punt if you want to try it.

Ian

the very same Paul from the decant club yes.

ordering was pretty easy and it goes through paypal no probs

Blue Stratos is some good shizz. Starts off like a mixture between Old Spice and Brut, then mutates into a muted version of pre-reformation Brut. I use it on the weekends quite often as Old Spice clashes with my choices of cologne/edt too much.

I have grown to enjoy P&G's Old Spice AS quite a lot when used in conjunction with the OS cologne or edt. To my nose, there are three distinct modern OS era's for the European market. Confused? You will be...
The UK aftershave currently being sold is the newest one and the most vanillic. I have a couple of bottles from Germany and this is less vanillic and more boozy - pretty much the same as the modern cologne and edt. As far as I can tell, the only difference between OS Cologne and the edt is the writing on the bottle and some sizes - the cologne can be had in 188ml bottles as well as the smaller sizes. Some German versions of the cologne also come with an atomised top, but I digress. I tend to buy the UK AS in bulk as I find that a bit of time left unused causes the vanilla to become a little quieter and it becomes very pleasant when used before the alcohol/clove of the cologne.
The third fragrance version is that of the "Sensitive" splash. This, no matter how you view the reformulations of the last 5 years or so, is not Old Spice. It's tooth achingly sweet and has a strange fruity angle. It's actually not a bad smell (the missus actually really likes it) and again, it gets better over time but I am not a huge fan and it's definitely the worst of the three current aromas.

Compared to the Shulton-era, current production OS is definitely different (and, yes, it's worse), but spare a thought for the Americans. Their current production version of OS (in the crappy plastic bottles) smells about the same as the Sensitive splash.

was up the road (home) this weekend and went to TJ Hughes and got some Stratos, the wife insisted :roll:
they only had the a\s, no cologne or EdT
also got a bottle of Denim and on reflection that was a waste of 3 quid

I was in Lloyd's Pharmacy yesterday, where I spotted Blue Stratos on the shelves. Haven't seen it in a long, long time. Bought a small bottle for about £4 because I'm a sucker for nostalgia and because I used to love this smell as a young teenager. Really disappointed with the ensuing scent. Nothing like the lovely original; most certainly reformulated to resemble a weaker, more powdery Brut (which I also really liked as a young pup). Why do perfume companies do this? I haven't been this hacked off since Nescafe introduced its 'better tasting!' instant cappuccino a short while back. Scandalous. :evil:

As for 'broken noses', bear in mind this fact (not sure about the exact figures so it's not really a fact, per say): We humans remember around 35% of what we smell, but only 5% of what we see.

So if you think a cologne or aftershave smells completely different after all these years, that's because it probably is.

EDIT: IF ANYONE WANTS THE BLUE STRATOS, LET ME KNOW.

Back
Top Bottom