Olive Oil as pre shave solution

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere on the forum but has anyone tried olive oil as a pre shave solution?

Have heard it works as well as any of the expensive shaving oils available and provides the skin with vitamin E and antioxidants.

Some folks swear by pre-shave oil & treatments but most don't once their lathering ability gets up to speed.

Pre-shave oils are usually less viscous than olive oil and I certainly wouldn't want to use it in an emulsion, try it but as Rob says it's usually a lather killer.

UKRob said:
I believe it's difficult to create a lather over the top of olive oil.

antdad said:
Some folks swear by pre-shave oil & treatments but most don't once their lathering ability gets up to speed.

Pre-shave oils are usually less viscous than olive oil and I certainly wouldn't want to use it in an emulsion, try it but as Rob says it's usually a lather killer.

I can only reiterate what has already been said above. There is no point in a pre-shave oil if your lather and technique is up to standards.

I also used to swear by the oil, but soon discovered it didn't help me much when I went to stretch my skin before drawing my razor for a stroke (I use a straight). It was only when I caught my fingers with the blade that I realised...

YMMV but definitely invest in a good soap with ample 'slick' suds!!

I've used proprietary pre-shave oils with no problem on skin stretching - I find that you start stretching above the shave area and then, as you move down, the area where your fingers need to be is relatively dry because you've shaved both lather and oil off.

I must admit to preferring Proraso pre -shave and use it daily now, although I'm hoping for some Santa Maria Novella tomorrow - my wife very kindly bought this at my suggestion, of course.

UKRob said:
I've used proprietary pre-shave oils with no problem on skin stretching - I find that you start stretching above the shave area and then, as you move down, the area where your fingers need to be is relatively dry because you've shaved both lather and oil off.

I must admit to preferring Proraso pre -shave and use it daily now, although I'm hoping for some Santa Maria Novella tomorrow - my wife very kindly bought this at my suggestion, of course.

I owned the SMN pre-post cream since 2009 and finished it at the end of last year. I never got to use it as a pre-shave cream - it felt too dry, but worked a treat as a post-shave cream. The scent was heavenly!

WRT pre-shaves, I think the OP would appreciate the slickness of a proper soap or cream much better. Suggested ones are Martin de Candre, Palmolive Shave Stick (at that price, what's there to lose?) and Castle Forbes shaving cream.

Yes, good points Rum. As far as the original post is concerned with providing vitamin E etc., I don't think you need be concerned with doing this via a pre-shave - for the reason I outlined, that you will remove most of it via lathering and shaving. So, if you want to re-hydrate, use something after the shave - and as Rum points out, there are some lovely products available.

I have tried EVOO, Nuage oil, and Baby oil to be honest i certainly didn't notice any improvement in the shave weather it be DE or a straight ( i have tried both) except it will and does kill the lather.

Futur shaver said:
I have tried EVOO, Nuage oil, and Baby oil to be honest i certainly didn't notice any improvement in the shave weather it be DE or a straight ( i have tried both) except it will and does kill the lather.

I don't know anout EVOO but I'm pretty sure Nuage is a shaving oil as opposed to pre-shave and Baby Oil is obviously neither. I have to say that oils don't kill my lather and, although not so noticeable with a DE, some form of pre-shave certainly helps when I use straights.

This has been debated at length and the conclusion I came to before is that it suits some more than others and maybe the fact that I'm naturally dry skinned is why it helps me.

Alexander the great shaved with olive oil and a knife.
I've used pre shave oils and quite enjoyed it, not really needed but that's missing most of the point of ritual shaving, give it a go and see if you like it. If you do use it, use it sparingly otherwise it will kill lather, just a little few drops will be alright. Quick word on cleaning, you'll be doing more of it as oil is certainly messier!

UKRob said:
Yes, good points Rum. As far as the original post is concerned with providing vitamin E etc., I don't think you need be concerned with doing this via a pre-shave - for the reason I outlined, that you will remove most of it via lathering and shaving. So, if you want to re-hydrate, use something after the shave - and as Rum points out, there are some lovely products available.

Agreed. Something you put on before lathering even is not going to last on your face. Looks for an after shave balm / moisturiser with the vitamin combination you're looking for.

I've made up a pre-shave mixture of:
Two parts almond oil
One part castor oil
One part glycerine
Essential oil fragrance of choice (I chose lime)

I massage in a small teaspoon after showering. Lather lasts fine and I prefer the shave compared to Proraso White pre/post.

Back
Top Bottom