Omega 10005 pure bristle brush

Received what I believe to be a brand new omega 10005 pure bristle brush with a travel tube from ''aberimpe''.This lovely chap generously sent it to me as a pif. :) :mrgreen: :)

10005.jpg

I gave it a few goes so lets talk about how it performs: :shock:
This is an outstanding brush. It is perfect in most every way. So much so, it could be the only shaving brush you might need for your entire shaving career. This brush is marketed by Omega under three different part numbers, depending on the type of packaging it comes in.
The handle is made of a solid chunk of beech wood and is well finished. It has none of the finish flaws that I have read some of inexpensive wooden handled brushes often have. The shape of the handle feels good in your hand and the grip is solid.

The 24 mm knot is tightly packed and the loft is reasonable at 55 mm when taking into account the density of the knot. This gives the brush a 110 mm overall height(more control when making lather in a bowl). I do not find this brush in the least bit “floppy”. The bristles are un-dyed, and make no pretense of being “banded badger”. Unlike some of the less expensive boar brushes the bristles are not clipped. They will split with use and over time become very soft while still retaining a certain scrubbing ability. This brush works well with creams and has plenty of backbone for even the hardest soaps. :mrgreen:

All in all its very easy for newbies to use,certainly a solid contender in its class at a very reasonable price,once again thank you aberimpe :roll:

Regards
James

It's a great value brush, we did discuss this a little while ago so for completeness here's a few other opinions:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1836" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1836</a><!-- l -->

simmo3801 said:
James

That's an excellent PIF!

I bought one from Connaught on ebay for £10 and I couldn't agree more with what you said. Ideal all round brush!

indeed simmo,but to be honest I think its best suited for soaps rather than creams

Fido said:
It's a great value brush, we did discuss this a little while ago so for completeness here's a few other opinions:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1836" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1836</a><!-- l -->

Thnaks for the great info fido :)

antdad said:
jhclare loved it and then left it.

I now have another sample of this brush - it stank to high heaven when new. Still does faintly, and it's well broken in. My original one didn't at all.

This one also doesn't feel as firm as my first, and not quite as dense.

Brushes really do vary, even within samples of the same model.

I've come to the end of my boar fascination and will be selling mine on.

It's been fun, but badger outperforms them in every way (at least for me).

John

Back
Top Bottom