Omega Brushes

SmallBeard said:
Johnnie Stark said:
SmallBeard said:
Fantastic brushes.

If you want a small knot, and a cheap introduction to boars, then the 10065 is excellent.

If you want a bigger knot, with a great handle, then the 20102 is a good bet. I've not tried a 49 yet but I've heard good things about them. I currently own 4 Omegas, but I've owned more and they have all been excellent brushes, my current favourite is between the 20102 and the 98. I face lather with all of them, and occasionally bowl lather too and they cope with it all.

These break in a LOT quicker than Semogue brushes.

I've just ordered the 98. It looks like a beauty.

Guys, thanks for all the feedback.

Good choice, sir. It can hold a ridiculous amount of lather, and the big handle is real nice too. Enjoy it!

Well, you were bang on about the 98. What a brush! It does indeed make a ridiculous amount of lather. Best value shaving product I've ever owned. Thanks again!

The large Omega Boar knots are quite nice.
But the cheap plastic injection moulded handles let them down a lot.

A couple of days ago I took mine, and turned a new handle for it in a similar style, but in African Blackwood with a polished stainless steel collar.

Before and after:
se-01.jpg
se-02.jpg

A sow's ear into a silk purse.

Rod

Neep said:
The large Omega Boar knots are quite nice.
But the cheap plastic injection moulded handles let them down a lot.

A couple of days ago I took mine, and turned a new handle for it in a similar style, but in African Blackwood with a polished stainless steel collar.

Before and after:
se-01.jpg
se-02.jpg

A sow's ear into a silk purse.

Rod

Nice work. :cool:

Johnnie Stark said:
SmallBeard said:
Johnnie Stark said:
SmallBeard said:
Fantastic brushes.

If you want a small knot, and a cheap introduction to boars, then the 10065 is excellent.

If you want a bigger knot, with a great handle, then the 20102 is a good bet. I've not tried a 49 yet but I've heard good things about them. I currently own 4 Omegas, but I've owned more and they have all been excellent brushes, my current favourite is between the 20102 and the 98. I face lather with all of them, and occasionally bowl lather too and they cope with it all.

These break in a LOT quicker than Semogue brushes.

I've just ordered the 98. It looks like a beauty.

Guys, thanks for all the feedback.

Good choice, sir. It can hold a ridiculous amount of lather, and the big handle is real nice too. Enjoy it!

Well, you were bang on about the 98. What a brush! It does indeed make a ridiculous amount of lather. Best value shaving product I've ever owned. Thanks again!

Great :D I'm glad you enjoy it :)

They are fantastic value for money. The lather is superb, easily enough for 6, 7 or even more passes. The handle is large but not cumbersome at all, it's nice to have more to hold onto. I love the way this brush seems to 'swell' with lather.

Nice work, Rod. That looks fantastic. I agree with you about the handles, they do let them down somewhat. But then that's why they are so cheap and excellent value. The handles are more than good enough to use, but obviously there's that touch of class and heft to the brush which is missing. The best quality handle is on the 20102.

I can't decide if I like my 20102 or not, the tips are lovely and soft but I find the knot a bit too 'springy' it seems to move as one rather than opening up and splaying like a badger would - is this just a sign it needs more breaking in or is it the nature of the beast?

Hmm I'm not sure, to be honest. I do find that it splays less than the 98, but I'm a little heavy handed sometimes so the extra force counteracts any problems like that. They break in really quickly so if you've used it more than 10-15 times then I don't think it will get any better for you. Sorry :(

SmallBeard said:
Nice work, Rod. That looks fantastic. I agree with you about the handles, they do let them down somewhat. But then that's why they are so cheap and excellent value. The handles are more than good enough to use, but obviously there's that touch of class and heft to the brush which is missing. The best quality handle is on the 20102.

Yes... they have no heft to them... BUT ... the good news is that you can just pull off the bottom end of the handle! Just twist and pull and it comes apart easily. Then the handle is hollow and you can stuff it with weights.

See in this photo the base part at the left, which just pulls off. (I sawed the top part to remove the knot)

se-03.jpg

Rod

Back
Top Bottom