One Blade Shave. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The OneBlade puts "safety" at the forefront. This means it easily achieves a DFS, but requires more time and effort to achieve a BBS. The OneBlade allows you to apply pressure. In its own context this if fine, but this can lead to habitual pressure for a BBS. This is contrary to the skills needed for straight razor shaving where making proper use of the straight's edge is the key and not pressure.

P.S. This is my last post as I have respectfully requested to be removed from the forum as my intentions were and remain never to bring a fight to the forum, but to engage in constructive criticism and to enjoy the shaving community. Thankfully, I grew-up in an era where we "questioned authority". The issue today is that we became the authority and ceased our questioning authority and ourselves. However short my stay has been here, I did enjoy it. Thank you.

Regards
James

The OneBlade puts "safety" at the forefront. This means it easily achieves a DFS, but requires more time and effort to achieve a BBS. The OneBlade allows you to apply pressure. In its own context this if fine, but this can lead to habitual pressure for a BBS. This is contrary to the skills needed for straight razor shaving where making proper use of the straight's edge is the key and not pressure.

I will be honest in that I don't quite understand the argument between what an SE razor teaches you and how that translates to when you shave with a straight razor and how this razor in any way shape or form can be 'blamed' for that :)

Best of luck out there James and sorry to see you go.

... P.S. This is my last post as I have respectfully requested to be removed from the forum as my intentions were and remain never to bring a fight to the forum, but to engage in constructive criticism and to enjoy the shaving community. Thankfully, I grew-up in an era where we "questioned authority". The issue today is that we became the authority and ceased our questioning authority and ourselves. However short my stay has been here, I did enjoy it. Thank you....
James (or anyone for that matter), if you have any questions for me but are uncomfortable about the forum feel free to email me at mantic59@sharpologist.com

What a great shame, reminds me of when in the early days I commented on how surprised I was that people spent so much
on Brushes, when cheaper alternatives were available , people got uptight. I now know better , up to people to spend their money
how and where they want.

P.S. This is my last post as I have respectfully requested to be removed from the forum as my intentions were and remain never to bring a fight to the forum, but to engage in constructive criticism and to enjoy the shaving community. Thankfully, I grew-up in an era where we "questioned authority". The issue today is that we became the authority and ceased our questioning authority and ourselves. However short my stay has been here, I did enjoy it. Thank you.

Regards
James
How is this any different than going from a cartridge razor (which also allows you to press as hard as you'd like) to a straight?

Also, knowing how to shave with a DE, SE, Injector or cartridge does not give one the skills to shave with a straight razor.

To be honest, that would be like saying I know how to drive an automatic, thus I also know how to drive a stick shift. The skills don't really transfer over. (In my opinion).

Regards
James

Interesting point James, when you say "I grew-up in an era where we "questioned authority" ", but you don't seem to be so open-minded when you claimed "Simply because that is not the way the Japanese culture works.". I don't claim to know how Japanese (or any culture for that matter) works but point blank saying this is how is it doesn't sound open-minded at all. I would think there are many ways in which the Japanese do business and I don't think you can label them all the same way.

James, agree or disagree, as an owner of the OneBlade you have experience here that many have not, so your opinions of the razor are welcome, so please reconsider your removal from this forum. I don't see any restrictions on this forum with freedom of speech and you are entitled to air your views regardless of whether others disagree. I would like to see you continue to participate.

Shave on.

That being said, and no offense to you Mantic59, I personally, would find it hard to give an unbiased review to a item I received for free.

On the other hand, there's absolutely no way I would spend $300 on something just to review it. But then again, I don't fit into this guy's profile:
...Tod [CEO of one blade] said “lets design a razor so that it may not be the ‘everyman's' razor but will work well for man for looking for a ‘shaving experience'.”
I got to give him props for (lol) sneaking the word 'for' into a sentence three times. Also, unless he speaks English badly, there should be an 'a' before 'man.'

With all the research they put into finding a blade for this thing, I'm surprised they didn't end up with Tungsten blades. Those have a proven track record as the longest lasting and edge retaining blades ever made.

Reading between the lines, it almost sounds like Feather steered them into picking the one blade they make that has no (current production) Feather razor to use it in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the 'look' of the Oneblade,but I certainly do not like the pricing,or the marketing!,aimed at 'executive high earners'?,are you kidding me?.And what really narks me is the fact it only takes one sort of blade!.The leather travel case is rubbish,and the stand...Well no one wants to use it in case it scratches the razor!,although the box,seems to be made of a better quality leather,it still isn't 'all that',and at the end of the day,I personally couldn't give a toss if it came in a 'jiffy' bag,as long as it was top notch quality.The box,fancy paper wrapping,pretty little disk,with red nylon thread?...All gets shoved into a cupboard!.
The most,by far,I have personally ever spent on a 'modern razor' was £150,on an ATT,and 2 baseplates (from the BST thread),although,not a bad razor,it has nothing on my £13 ABC pocket edition,or my £18 #88 New,nor even the £20 fatip,so on the shelf it sits.
As pretty as the one blade is,I for one won't be falling for the marketing hype....

Last edited:
I do admit to liking the look of the razor, and think if they'd made it to fit the same blades the Goose and Cobra use, and possibly controlled the pricing to match the Goose, they may have been on to something special. But the way it is marketed at the minute, the only interest I have is to diss it for the nonsense it is. And as for the special edition @ $1000 well as Martin would say, "sheesh", definately not a real lulu IMO:rolleyes::D

Yep!,I don't go in for the marketing approach either!,I can see WHO they are marketing at,and,although I CAN understand that strategy,doesn't mean I agree with it...
Ill be the first to hold my hand up,and say,from a totally business point of view,as an ongoing concern,there is no future,trying to sell a product that any 'disposable razor',or 'electric razor' user would buy,because,shaving to that market is a chore,so,who does that leave?,the wet shaving (cartridge?) community....
So,in my mind,they are after the higher end cartridge user,one that thinks nothing of spending £10-£20 a month on cartridges.
I may be wrong,but why come up with the 'pivoting head' gimmick,if it has been designed for the likes of the majority of us?,people who use,and have TAUGHT themselves to use fixed head SE's,and DE's every day of the week?.
That's why I am pretty sure,we were the last in line,by Oneblades marketing department.
FFS,they are trying to sell 'the whole shave experience!',with a blade subscription (which apparently is much cheaper if bought from Connaught's),with a $400 Thater brush (I dont think any Thater is $400),re-branded,to OneBlade,of course!....
IMO,at the moment,it is just a marketing exercise,to lure in the higher end cart users,and see how much they can really fleece them for...
I for one,dont go for this approach.I would rather send of some of my handy work to fellow users,who know me well enough,to know that what ever I send them,will be of a better quality,than anything available elsewhere,and at a realistic,honest,price,from another 'true' shaver!,not some smarmy arsed marketing exec,who's managed to get a deal with a Chinese sweatshop,getting 6 yr old's sowing,and wrapping up more mass produced crap,to please the more affluent in the west ...I am poor,I am middle aged,I am ill,I am honest,I use Old Spice,Brut,Tabac,Quorum,I use DE's and SE's,I am not in this for the money,but I am into this,because I am passionate about shaving,and giving my best efforts back to a like minded community of fellow shavers.
And no,Ill never be a millionaire!,but guess what?,as long as my 'soul' is at peace with itself,I don't care!.
Like they say..."It's only money".
Over and out!.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom