One to Make You Cry

It wouldn't take much to sort the bent teeth out as long as it was done slowly and a bit at a time as the teeth on the brit aristo's are a lot thicker than what you would find on a old type i think you would have more problems straightening the part which the silo doors are connected to as for the model its not a #15 but one of the popular models..

the problem is that the teeth are the main structural component in that razor. I only know of one person who has fixed a similar razor with this issue of bent teeth. Captain Murphy over on badger and blade.
it required a complete disassembly as I believe the doors and pivot are attached to the end teeth. sad fate for a razor.

I had a #47 Popular set with exactly the same issue. The bend wasn't as severe but was in the exact same location and it does affect the opening and closing. I could use it but it really was stiff when opening as the mechanism forced past the bend. I'd bought it thinking, somewhat optimistically, I might have a stab at repair but upon inspection knew it was beyond my (complete lack of) ability.

In the end I stuck it on the bay with plenty of close up photos and several mentions of the fault at a 99p start. It still made a good profit! Some of these Americans have serious RAD when it comes to British Aristo / SuperSpeed / Rocket types:D Hopefully the buyer can get it fixed and restored.

repair is going to require completely taking it down into components, and heating of the base plate and careful forming to what will be a custom made mold.

I thought about buying it and sending it to Capt'n Murphy. He would enjoy the challenge. If (and big IF) it could be salvaged, it would still need a replate afterwards.

What did it end up selling for anyways?
Edit: $37.99? That was more than I would have thought it was worth in that condition.

37.99US

but sadly there was a lot of Gillette razors that sold for 120 that had TWO SENATORS in it, with no finish of any kind. but the mechanical condition was immaculate in the head.

37.99US

but sadly there was a lot of Gillette razors that sold for 120 that had TWO SENATORS in it, with no finish of any kind. but the mechanical condition was immaculate in the head.
I saw that auction too, but between the pristine No. 58, the boxed Senator, and a Lot of SE's, I was pretty much tapped out for the week.

I thought about that senator you got, but the thing is the seller only wanted people who had a credit card linked to their ebay account. I says screw that.
bought a fat boy instead. no case mind you, but awfully nice condition.

I gotta stop bidding, theres several near mint Gillette traveler sets right now.... waahh

I thought about that senator you got, but the thing is the seller only wanted people who had a credit card linked to their ebay account. I says screw that.
bought a fat boy instead. no case mind you, but awfully nice condition.

I gotta stop bidding, theres several near mint Gillette traveler sets right now.... waahh
He came off a bit snippy when I told him I paid more than I expected I would have to. I expected it to go for about $150-170. Almost tempted to put it and my flawless Sheraton on the bay as a pair. The '34 Aristocrat I traded for to complete the trifecta shaves rings around both of them. :(

trade ya both of them for a travel tech..

would be nice to try them all but my aristocrat 46-47 likes me when I get the lather right. fat boy at the moment works good.
heres to try, SOAK the razor and blade in hot tap water for about 5 minutes so the razor head gets nice and hot, seems to improve glide for me. particular with a soap like erasmic and la toja

I saw that Popular the other week and nearly died laughing. I've repaired a few of these and, almost always, they suffer at one end or both of the combs from a little 'droop'. I've had some fairly severe ones, but that one looks like the comb was peined over with a bloody hammer at a very sharp angle

I wouldn't put it past those end teeth to snap right off if you tried to straighten them ........ Scrapper :D

Back
Top Bottom