One week growth!

I have been using a cheap Wilkinson Sword DE razor for many years, however feel its time to upgrade! I only tend to shave once a week or longer and want a razor that can cope with thick stubble without pulling the hair out. Would an open comb variety be better? One thing though I have large-ish hands, so no dainty razors. I have no knowledge in this area so any help would be great!

Another vote for the same, get slanting it up. I've got the 37 and I've got large (slim) hands, it does me fine. And if you are in fact Geoff Capes, the 39C might be just the ticket.

Slants are best used fairly sparingly but they eat up a lot of stubble so they're ideal for occasional, very stubbly shavers.

Muhle's R41 (open comb of sorts) wipes away a week's growth in one pass but you need to be confident as it's pretty aggresive, far more so than what you've been using.

Welcome to TSR.

Have you considered a straight? No problems with blade clogging!!
Quote from canuck
Another vote for the same, get slanting it up. I've got the 37 and I've got large (slim) hands, it does me fine. And if you are in fact Geoff Capes, the 39C might be just the ticket.
METRX005.jpg

This is real - not photoshopped

Can anyone advise why this picture is not working - I loaded it to Photobucket just like lots of others but for some reason it's not working.

Nice pic. Geoff has hands like shovels!
Back to shaving though, I don't have a technique as I shave and hope! My cheapo plastic wilkinson head can loosen and swivel as I shave so I never really mastered the art.

Also does anyone have any recommendations for Creams and brushes for a weekly shaver?

Brush - get a 404 Grosvenor, it's awesome for the price. Big time. Cream - try Speick, it's one of the most protective and soothing ones, cheap too.

Another vote for a straight. If i have a 3 days to a weeks growth i reach for my joseph rogers every time the wapi dont touch it and the fatboy laughs at it and the pomoco slant sniggers at it. So straight to the straight.

As for geof he was an 80s ikon better known in the uk than mr T

Johnus said:
One weeks growth!!! Have you considered having your testosterone checked. Is the photo really one weeks growth. I stand in awe!

Johnus, I think you are confused about the picture - the big guy is Geoff Capes an Olympic Shot Putter. This photo was taken at the UK Strongest man competition that Geoff was refereeing - that's me alongside. I commented that he had entered the same competition in his earlier days hadn't he? - he fixed me with a stare and politely informed me that he was UK champion 7 times and world champion 3 times. Enough said.

I use the 39c (barber-pole slant) daily and have no issues at all with it - best razor I've ever used but I do have really tough bristles. If you're only shaving once a week I'd hazard a guess that the hair is well on the soft side in which case you might be better off with something like the Jagger EJ86 - not overly mild or aggressive. Happy to lend you one for a couple of weeks.

UKRob,

It gives the impression that you've just paid Mr Capes with a sandwich and packet of crisps to have your photo took with him. :icon_lol:

Back
Top Bottom