Online storage/backup

Does anyone know any good online backup sites to store word/excel documents and the like? Been using the free Dropbox service that only gives you 2GB and I'm running out of space. The upgrade is £7.99 a month but I don't think I'll need 1000GB. More like half of that, if even that, maybe 250 max.

Ah yes, Google Drive, can't believe I didn't think of it before!!

How reliable is it? Say if my PC crashed tomorrow or something, its secure to recover from say another device?

Are you looking for online backup or online sharing? Because the two are completely different.
Dropbox is NOT backup!
If you delete the source file, the online file is gone within seconds.
If your source file becomes infected, the online file becomes infected within seconds.

As others pointed out, Google Drive and Microsoft OneDrive offer decent online file sync storage and sharing.

Crashplan and Carbonite are decent online backup services. Source files are encrypted on the host machine then transferred to the online backup so even if they're intercepted in transit then nobody can read them. Crashplan offers file-versioning and local backups (to a NAS or file server) also.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/maintenance/tp/online_backup_services.htm
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/backup/a/online-backup-comparison.htm

Online backup or just a backup of my work documents. Cos if the PC was to crash tomorrow I've lost everything.
I only used Dropbox cos I thought if in the event I had to get a new desktop I could sign in and recover my files.

All my work is on Google drive at the moment, messed up the syncing a bit earlier but its all sorted now and its pretty neat. I shouldn't need more than 15GB for a few months at least.

Well, file-syncing is very convenient, but it's not a backup.
Dropbox offers the same functionality of Google Drive and Microsoft OneDrive (was SkyDrive). Essentially they're each the same as the other.
A very effective backup option is an external hard drive (well...two. One on-site, the other at home. Swap out over the weekend.)
A TRUE backup plan involves the 3-2-1 plan:
-At least three copies,
-In two different formats,
-with one of those copies off-site.
http://blog.trendmicro.com/trendlabs-security-intelligence/world-backup-day-the-3-2-1-rule/

Sorry, I'm a bit of a backup fanatic :angel: (in-house server, NAS mirror, online backup, two-drive backup...one at home...one at work). That way I'm protected against data loss from fire/theft or natural disaster.

Yeah I also have an external hard drive that I am slack at updating, but I must remember to put any new work on there that I do in the week. Its been acting a bit weird lately too flashing different colours and going a bit crazy.

The whole sync thing is long though with Google Drive as I can't move stuff around til it syncs first!

I use Mozy and it's always been very good. It's seen me through a couple of PC changes and if I accidentally delete a file or make a bad change then I can download it from the backup in moments. Might be a little pricey for your needs but worth a look.

Thanks for the recommendation will check out Mozy, it might be more than Dropbox would've been I don't know.

Google Drive is working alright for me right now and I can't anticipate needing more than 15GB in the meantime. In the future I'll probably have to look at larger storage option or even have two accounts, but that'll get a bit complicated.

i have been a carbonite user for years for my photos
i also have a 1tb portable i use for them and other documents
and a media server i back photos up to aswell

recently BT infinity gave me 50gb so thats more sync backup space

so if your with BT its called the cloud

think that covers my photos ;)

Thanks Titch, I have an email account with Bt that I'm planning on leaving cos they're starting to charge monthly now for an email account!

And I have a HTC phone unfortunately, KLF!

DPTC said:
Does anyone know any good online backup sites to store word/excel documents and the like? Been using the free Dropbox service that only gives you 2GB and I'm running out of space. The upgrade is £7.99 a month but I don't think I'll need 1000GB. More like half of that, if even that, maybe 250 max.

If you're looking for a good backup service for your docs that is also secure, I've used IDrive online backup for years now to backup my writing. I work on a tablet, my Mac and even my iPhone, and IDrive allows me to backup from all of these devices into one account, without charging more per extra device. The price is affordable, interface is easy, and they use very secure military-grade encryption with a private key option so only I can access my files. They key isn't kept on their servers.

DPTC said:
Have you got an Android device? If so install Maibox & Carousel. Run both once to claim your free 1GB & 3GB upgrades to your Dropbox account. Uninstall and you now have 4GB extra for free.

There are probably equivalent apps on the IOS store...

Back
Top Bottom