Open Comb Heads?

Hello folks,

I am looking for an Open Comb head for my Daz handle.

I know that the Merkur 12C is no good, as she's two piece, but I'm nearly sure there could be 3-piece OC models from Merkur?

Also, are there any other 3-piece OC head razor available?

Thank you,

Mark

Gillette Old type (and clones such as Souplex & Big Ben), NEW's and Goodwill's spring to mind.

Both Ikon and Tradere also make a good OC stainless steel head as well

Cheers for the recommendations.

I got the Muhle R41 head with the handle but fancy adding to the selection with a standard Open Comb. I'll have a look at those Gillettes and maybe a Merkur, if I can find out which are three piece!

Mark

Roefisher said:
Helveticum said:
Make sure you get a short comb one.

Which razor head do you mean, Helveticum?.... :blush:

Mark

Hi there,

You'll have to excuse him. What he really meant to suggest is a long tooth NEW head. Not the New Improved or New Deluxe ones.

The longer teeth are a little curved, making that design a bit more comfortable on the face and less aggressive.

I've told that poor guy his opinion is wrong, but he just won't listen!

Roefisher said:
Cheers again for the help, folks.

Armed with my new information, I went straight over to the shops a few minutes ago. I looked over the shop's vintage selection and bought a 1920's Old Type. Maybe not the in-thing amongst vintage razor enthusiasts (I dunno!) but it's going to be a user razor anyway, so I went for one which has been replated and should hopefully be a nice match to the stainless steel handle from Daz (JEC handles)

Mark

Well, there's lots of people who like the Old Type razors. Matter of fact, Johnus will maybe be along to extoll it's virtues.

Personally I can't use those things because I prefer a much milder razor. You are gonna need to go slowly at first with that short tooth bloodsucking vampire.

I'm probably building it up more than need be. As I said, there's many guys who like that kinda shave. Just treat that set up with plenty of respect.

Martin

[attachment=6050]
Sitting here in sunny Orlando at Aquatica. Feel like I'm in the middle or a cultural gap. Half the people here are from the UK or Australia and the other half Hispanic . Trying to listen in Spanish with one ear and a British accent with the other.
Well; advice on open combs. Shaved on the 11th with my WW1 '04. You really can't better setup for a clean, smooth, honest 2 pass shave. If you're looking for an open comb the 1918 and before Gillettes can't be beat. (Es Verdad! Give it a burl mate!)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353533315.065952.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353533315.065952.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 44
You can't half take good pictures, sir! Oh and as to the Merkurs, the 41 (1904) is a three piece and Nickel plated like the Gillette originals. The closed comb version (42) is identical to that of the 34C (HD) and is again, nickel plated. Nickel plated heads look really good on Daz's stainless handles and I must admit I'd like to try both those Merkur heads on My JEC handle but I ain't paying for two more razors when I have this TOBS MR Taylor's addiction to feed.

P.S. enjoy the Old type.

I have a Tech on the way to try with my JEC handle - it may need a shim or even two but at a fiver, why worry. You can buy the Jagger DE head on it's own from The English Shaving Co. but at £17.50 + postage you'd be better off buying the whole thing and keeping the original, beautifully made handle as a travel option.

I'm not very knowledgeable but I believe heads are trickier/more expensive to produce. Where you can see heads and handles for sale separately the heads are always a lot more pricey than their handles.

There was a really good research article on B&B regarding different heads, angles and blade exposure. If someone knows the address or can be bothered to google - you'll like it.
But to answer your question shortly - yes :) It's more like a straight.

Back
Top Bottom