Opinel No 8 knife Carbon or Stainless?

I have both. Depends what you want really. If you look after it you should have no problems with the carbon. I dont mean rust...but the carbon blade will develop a nice patina over time.........and it will give a sharper edge. The stainless is practically maintenance free and can be found in more exotic woods. It will hold a not as sharp edge for longer. Your choice! Personally I prefer the carbon.

Last edited:
I've got the No8 in both carbon and stainless. The stainless holds it's edge better but the carbon is easier to sharpen. It's a classic and simple design.
They are excellent knives but a common problem is the knife getting wet and the wood handle swelling, making the knife difficult to open. Some people use oil or wax products to prevent this. I have also treated the carbon blade with a product to prevent corrosion.
Nowadays I use a spyderco or kabar (both stainless with polymer handles) when I'm out and about in the garden.
If the opinels are cheap enough, get both. If you use a knife every day, get the carbon.

A repeat of the above really, the carbon steel blade takes a good edge but marks easily. If it will get wet (outside in the rain use) or you will use it on cheese (alkaline) or fruit (acidic), it will mark. But it's not like it rusts like your car.
The stainless will look nicer, but you'll spend more time sharpening it.
As for the wood swelling that is true. I took mine apart and lubed it with beeswax.
Also, the 8 is illegal in the UK, unless you have a 'legit' reason to be packing a blade. I think it's the 6 that is the biggest blade and you can't have it locking. Loads of info on what's 'allowed' if you Google it.
But they are good knives, light, sharp and cheep enough you can loose it.

Carbon Steel Blades Only Rust when Not Looked After..I have to Laugh at Civilians Talkin Field Knifes or Survival Knifes..I Am a Former Royal Marine Commando & have Used Carbon Steel Blades for Years in the Field with Zero Corrosion..I Have Spent 3 Months or More in the Field in One Outing with Zero Rust on any Carbon Blade..o_O

Billy

@Fergiebilly "Ye luk afta yer kit Jimmy er I'll beast the fook oot er ye!"

Seriously though Billy I know how to look after a carbon blade: keep dry, light coating of oil was mainly interested in performance

Back
Top Bottom