Oro di Spello - An Italian Shaving Cream

Oro di Spello is an olive oil based shaving cream that arrived back from Italy with the Minister for War & Finance. She had been shopping in Spello, a town based in a region famed for the quality of its olive oil. There is a provider in the town of cosmetics call Oro di Spello (Gold of Spello). TMFWAF was taken by their lotions and potions, bought out half the store, and was rewarded with a “bonus” tin of shaving cream which made its way back to me. It claims(roughly translated):

“shaving rich and emollient, it creates a soft and abundant foam that allows a gentle and smooth shave making the skin soft and supple.”

SETUP.

This morning I put it to the test using:

- 37c Merkur
- Permasharp plade
- Proraso Boar Hair Brush
- Cold water shave

This is a fairly standard set up for me.

APPEARANCE

The product comes in a metal tin of 180ml. I think to purchase it is about 13 euros. It's an attractive if standard package. The soap itself is a croap, and smells of pretty much nothing. They claim it is olive oil based, but free of any irritants, hence an apparent lack of fragrance. It has a smell of sorts, but it's not even of olive oil, and you have to almost put your nose in it to notice it.

LATHER

I took a fingerful out of the tin and used it to face lather as I normally do. It was hard to get much of a lather going, but it provided decent coverage, and felt soft, smooth and moisturizing. However, whilst my brush held a lather, I started shaving one side of my face and by the time I got to the other side, a lot of the lather had faded away.

SHAVING

It felt quite decent to shave with, reasonably good glide, albeit that I was chasing the disappearing lather with a brush to top it up. I had nothing unusual in terms of weepers or nicks that could be attributed to the lather. Good without being great.

POST SHAVE

An hour or so after the shave, I noticed irritation on my top lip. Visually it was not much, but I could certainly feel that I'd chewed a bit hard at the skin in a way that is unusual. I used the exact set up the previous day with some Proraso Red, with no ill effect.

SUMMARY

As much as I wanted to like this, it scores a little on the low side due to the disappearing lather and the lack of protective qualities. I have read somewhere about the limitations of olive oil based creams, without being able to remember exactly what was the problem etc. I did enjoy the feel of it on my face, but suspect it might now be used mostly as part of some sort of superlather process. I will update over a few days to see if I can get more out of it.

20160731_104318.jpg 20160731_213552.jpg 20160731_213600.jpg

Update. I've found a use for this stuff. It works very well as a pre-shave lotion. It adds great moisturising effects, soothes skin, softens hair, and avoids the fact that it lathers very poorly.

Back
Top Bottom