Oster Prima Latte Review

I have been after a decent coffee maker for a while and was going to get a Gaggia Classic but decided it was impractical for my requirements. I then thought about investing in a good bean to cup machine and while I have been reading up on them on the web the Mrs literally walked in with this...
img0129zw.jpg

It's a Oster Prima Latte, she bought it from Curry's/PC World for £109.
Being the expert barrista that I am I held my head in my hands and told her what a waste of money it was.
I then got on the Internet to read all the reviews telling me what I already knew...what a pile of rubbish!
Hold on, there was virtually nothing on the internet in English?
Hmmm, I will have to dig deeper.
img0130oyv.jpg

Features:
Cappuccino, latte and espresso maker
15 bar Italian Pump delivers rich and thick cream
300 ml removable fresh milk reservoir, easy-to-clean and store in the refrigerator, to prepare cappuccinos and lattes using your choice of fresh milk
Automatic single touch drink selection for espresso, cappuccino and latte
Manual mode to customize your shot of espresso
Froth only mode
Clean cycle
Open Filter system to brew 45 mm ESE PODS or sachets and ground powder coffee
1.5 L removable water reservoir for easy filling
Removable drip tray for easy cleaning
Die cast aluminum boiler and thermo block system

OK, with all that out of the way I must say I am hooked, it's a great little machine!!
The 1.5ltr water reservoir is simple to remove fill and replace, same with the milk reservoir.
The auto mode is good enough for everyday espresso, cappachino & lattes, the manual mode lets you dial your beverage in just how you like it.
It has twin trays to rest your cup on so big mugs to little espresso cups are catered for, both the trays have drip collectors in that are a doddle to clean.
It has a cup warmer on top although you would have to leave a cup there for around 30 minutes to warm it!

From flicking the power button you are looking at around 2 minutes for the machine to be ready to go.
You get a single, double and ESE portafilters & a plastic tamp.
The milk reservoir has got adjustment for frothy milk through to steamed milk and it works!
There's also a 'clean' setting on the milk reservoir that flushes it through with steamed water.
Here's a little trick they don't mention, that 'clean' setting allows you to top up your coffee with hot water (Americano!)

I went down to a local coffee roaster Climpson & Sons http://webcoffeeshop.co.uk and had a pack of their freshly roasted beans ground to an espresso grind.
I have been playing with it for a few weeks and their espresso grind is a little to fine for this machine, if I tamp too firmly the machine chokes so a light tamp is what I use now with good results...
img0132ot.jpg

img0133dq.jpg

If I have to criticise this machine it would have to be the group head and portafilters. The portafilters are a little loose in the group head and the group head doesn't have a 'quality' feel to it but it's reliable and functional.
Another nice feature is it's got a sleep mode, after a while it shuts itself down but the boiler and subsequently cup warmer stay heated. A press of a button and it wakes up ready to go.
It's a doodle to clean this machine and it looks good too:)
I will invest in a grinder next year so I can get the perfect grind for this machine.

I have got to hand it to my Mrs, she done good and I am now eating my words. For the price this is an excellent machine that produces great coffee...conveniently.

If anyone is really interested I will do a short video of it in action.

I'm interested in this, I'm looking for a coffee maker that is fairly easy to use for the odd cup of coffee.

We don't drink a lot of coffee, but when we do good coffee is always preferred. Thanks for the tip about the clean cycle for Americanos, as that's what I normally drink.

I bought a bean to cup last week (a Gaggia Brera).

Expensive but I'm loving it so far. Can't beat a double shot latte whilst reading the Sunday Times!

I think when it eventually goes pop in a few years I'll probably spend quite a bit on separates!

Tall_Paul said:
I bought a bean to cup last week (a Gaggia Brera).

Expensive but I'm loving it so far. Can't beat a double shot latte whilst reading the Sunday Times!

I think when it eventually goes pop in a few years I'll probably spend quite a bit on separates!

I have a Delonghi Magnifica bean to cup machine. Also really happy with it but I won't be desperately unhappy when it conks out as I too am keen to go for something a bit more hands-on.

Looks like this machine is only £100 now:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/oster-bvstem6601r-060-espresso-machine-red-14900377-pdt.html

I bought the Oster prima latte machine from Currys back in December and I absolutely loved it best machine I ever owned and as I can get pretty lazy with the frothing wand on some machines this really was push button, sit back and let it do it's own thing...BUT unfortunately mine developed a fault this week (only 3 months old) and as Currys are currently sold out I had to get a refund instead and no replacement :(
My problem was that the milk failed to deliver from the milk reservoir and all I seemed to get was hot steam.
I cleaned my machine every day so I doubt anything got blocked and also we don't live in a hard water area etc.
I hope this is not a known fault as I really would love to buy this machine again if it ever gets back in stock in Currys...price dropped to as little as £79 as well on Currys.... Argos is the only company who seem to sell it now at a hefty £169

Sorry to hear that Max, mine is still going strong (fingers crossed!) I descaled it a few weeks ago and it's as good as new. No problems so far:)

jaycey said:
Sorry to hear that Max, mine is still going strong (fingers crossed!) I descaled it a few weeks ago and it's as good as new. No problems so far:)

Glad to hear that yours is still going strong, I might give it a 2nd chance and pay the £169 it now commands, it is a lovely machine and as I was so happy with it's results (bar the fault) no other machine seems to interest me at present :(

Hi Everybody!
I am from Argentina and I bought a Oster Prima Latte yesterday. I paid arg$1900.- (190 euros, I think...). So far, this little machine worked fantastic!... Espresso, Cappuccino, Latte, terrific everything!...
I wonder if we could create a club here in order to exchange our experiencies...
Thanks for your time!
Pablo

Thanks for the review jaycey, I've been looking at getting an espresso machine for while and was originally hoping to get a deal on a Gaggia Classic or Baby. But to be honest, though I enjoy the occasional espresso, what I really prefer are the espresso based milky drinks, and having it done at the press of a button also appeals. So I had already looked at this machine, but wasn't really will to pay top whack for it, and then Lo and behold, there it was on Groupon at a bargain price, obviously fate ;) I look forward to its arrival, and if it's crap, I will blame jaycey!

How is this machine with ESE pods ? Also is the latte/cappuccino piping hot - most automatic machines make the coffee at drinking temperature, which is fine if you are drinking straight out the machine but useless if you potter about for a few minutes before drinking or taking on the train.

I have searched for ESE pods at the supermarkets but never found them, I know I can buy them online but can't be arsed.

I would say that the cappuccino is drinking hot (don't drink latte's) it cools quite quickly unless you pre-heat the cup.

Mines still going strong, you do need to keep it clean though which is easy enough. I will be descaling mine again soon.
Great machine:)

jaycey said:
I have searched for ESE pods at the supermarkets but never found them, I know I can buy them online but can't be arsed.

I would say that the cappuccino is drinking hot (don't drink latte's) it cools quite quickly unless you pre-heat the cup.

Mines still going strong, you do need to keep it clean though which is easy enough. I will be descaling mine again soon.
Great machine:)

I prefer ESE pods as they are nitrogen sealed so fresh for each cup (I'm an occasional coffee drinker with no burr grinder so whole beans are not an option and ground beans go off quickly)
I've taken the plunge on the groupon deal - If it's not great then I can always ebay it. The pictures you posted do show a good crema which is impressive at this pricepoint.

This same machine is marketed in the states as the Mr Coffee Cafe Barista. Plenty of reviews online, all very positive.
Got mine today, have to say it's superb. Tried illy supermarket coffee, ese pods and fresh ground from the local roaster, all produce a thick crema. The pull is everso slightly bitter, hinting at a slight over extraction but at this price it's no worse than any other home machine. The milk frother is superb and very adjustable from micro-bubble foam to fairy liquid style for hot chocolates. Temperature of the coffee is great, much hotter than any pod machines I've tried - and I've tried a lot. Finish is a bit plasticy, but matches the Morphy Richards toaster and kettle colours pretty well in a deep red metallic.
Very, very impressed with this little machine. Thanks to the original poster for bringing it to my attention. If you can get it on a deal like I did (groupon £69) then it's an absolute steal.

Have got mine running and am very happy with it so far :) I was just wondering how long it took yours to pull a single espresso shot? Mine runs for about 11 seconds, which seems too fast according to most espresso advice, but the size if the shot is OK and it tastes fine to me ;)

psychomech said:
Have got mine running and am very happy with it so far :) I was just wondering how long it took yours to pull a single espresso shot? Mine runs for about 11 seconds, which seems too fast according to most espresso advice, but the size if the shot is OK and it tastes fine to me ;)

Hi, Sorry just seen your question. Mine also is around 11 seconds which is a fast pull but doesn't seem to effect the richness. I notice the pull on a latte is longer. both produce an excellent crema and very good tasting espresso. The machine doesn't seem fussy with what you put in it either, pods, pre- ground or freshly ground, all producing great to outstanding results.

Back
Top Bottom