Other TTOs

I turned on to TTOs this morning with a very easy and smooth shave with a 1950s Flare Tip Rocket - thank you very much Jamies.

So, apart from Parker and vintage TTOs, are there any good quality ones on the market these days? I'm sure I've seen some but can't for the life of me find them!

I'm happy in the world of the Vintage Gillette TTO's at the moment.

The first one I tried was a '59 Superspeed which was wonderful, I now also have an FT Rocket, HD Rocket, Adjustable (Fatboy), Slim Adjustable, Super Adjustable (Black Beauty), and a couple of Gold Aristocrats.

As for the Merkur Vision, I don't like the look of it much either, but I have the Progress and the Futur and they are both good razors. For shaving with I prefer the Progress out of the 2, but the Futur is better to look at.

I suggest you try on of the older Gillette '04's 1918 of before. They are excellent values and very good shavers.
I have both the Futur and the Vision. Both were bought from gentlemen on this site. I've had the Futur the longest and like it very much. Have used the Vision only a hand full of times and still working on the best settings. I'd buy both again.

Johnus said:
I suggest you try on of the older Gillette '04's 1918 of before. They are excellent values and very good shavers.

My lack of knowledge has me confused, Johnus. I looked on Mr Razor to find a Gillette '04 1918 or before and there are only Olds - no TTOs till 1934. Can you try to explain again, please?

Be fun to shave with something my Grandfathers may have used. (Harry came home in 1918 but one of his great-grandsons found his name and number listed on a Flanders Memorial as MIA.)

ajc347 said:
Feather do one - the Popular Razor.

I'm not sure how good it is though as I haven't used one yet.

It is a mild razor, on a par with the Wilkinson Sword Classic.

Bechet45 said:
Supplementary question: does anyone have experience of the Merkur Vision?

Can't say that I like the look of it!

Yes I have one,it's ok but it's very heavy,and my one likes to miss a patch around my jaw,and you have to field strip it to dry it or the locking plate at the bottom starts to rot. And its like having a tank driving over your face. But I suspect other people may have better vibes about them.

John said:
Bechet45 said:

Yes I have one,it's ok but it's very heavy,and my one likes to miss a patch around my jaw,and you have to field strip it to dry it or the locking plate at the bottom starts to rot. And its like having a tank driving over your face. But I suspect other people may have better vibes about them.

Does this mean you might like to sell yours? I might like to buy it!

John said:
Bechet45 said:

Managed to borrow one to have a play with and found the same as you, to heavy and awkward.

Bechet45 said:
John said:
Bechet45 said:

Does this mean you might like to sell yours? I might like to buy it!
I can't say that I would stitch you up with such a thing.I am to much of an honest man you would do better with a slim if you don't allredy have one.

RB73 said:
John said:
Bechet45 said:

Managed to borrow one to have a play with and found the same as you, to heavy and awkward.

Bloody naff is more like it!

Bilbo said:
What do you guys think of the parker TTOs? The interceptor one looks pretty cool.

Parker TTOs are made in india some people like them some people don't mind them .I did think of getting one but some one put me off so got a merkur long handle as a first DE.they are pritty good but I find the shave very dry if you want to go down the DE razor road do try a fat handle tech gently does it.

John said:
Bilbo said:
What do you guys think of the parker TTOs? The interceptor one looks pretty cool.

Parker TTOs are made in india some people like them some people don't mind them .I did think of getting one but some one put me off so got a merkur long handle as a first DE.they are pritty good but I find the shave very dry if you want to go down the DE razor road do try a fat handle tech gently does it.

Are you winow shopping?

Bechet45 said:
Johnus said:

My lack of knowledge has me confused, Johnus. I looked on Mr Razor to find a Gillette '04 1918 or before and there are only Olds - no TTOs till 1934. Can you try to explain again, please?

Be fun to shave with something my Grandfathers may have used. (Harry came home in 1918 but one of his great-grandsons found his name and number listed on a Flanders Memorial as MIA.)

Your right! I'm reading these with out my glasses again at nite. The '04's are great. For an tto I'd have to go with the Red Tipped handle Gillette Superspeed or the Ranger '41.
If you was one similar that's British, I'd go for the Aristo Jr. These three are excellent examples of the Superspeed tto's

Ps. father was born in '05 so he missed WWI but severed in England for WWII with the Air Corps.

Back
Top Bottom