Over 50 and just tried wet DE shaving

Hello everyone, Adrian here and new to the forum ...

All these years wasted, with the cartridge shaving chore.

Now I have seen the light and pamper myself every few days with a REAL shave.

Razors - Edwin Jagger DE89 & 3ONE6, Muhle R89.

Best blades so far- Personna, Gillette Wilkinson (India), 7 O'clock yellow, Wilkinson Sword.

Worst so far - Derby.

I also tried the Wilkinson Sword butterfly razor, it was terrible, like shaving with a Mars Bar ....
Welcome to The Forum.
Just watch your step there is a lot of temptation out there, ideas of saving money can go down the drain in a flash.

Hello everyone, Adrian here and new to the forum ...

All these years wasted, with the cartridge shaving chore.

Now I have seen the light and pamper myself every few days with a REAL shave.

Razors - Edwin Jagger DE89 & 3ONE6, Muhle R89.

Best blades so far- Personna, Gillette Wilkinson (India), 7 O'clock yellow, Wilkinson Sword.

Worst so far - Derby.

I also tried the Wilkinson Sword butterfly razor, it was terrible, like shaving with a Mars Bar ....
Hello there, Adrian

The Muhle R89 along with the Merkur 34C where the first DE razors i purchased when i first entered the wonderful world of traditional wet shaving, both have given me acceptable smooth shave's... My personal choice is the Muhle R89, which is one of my favourite DE razors.

My humble advice to you is, give it a honest try.... See what works for you, and don't worry too much about anyone else's opinion. Nobody is standing on the other side of the mirror making biased judgements. The face you're shaving is your own, and you don't have to satisfy anyone but yourself.

The wonderful thing about traditional wet shaving for me is that there are so many good products out there and there literally is something for just about everyone.

The vast majority of my shave set ups are inexpensive, which work perfectly for me. First and foremost 'ADD NO PRESSURE TO THE RAZOR,LET THE WEIGHT OF THE RAZOR & BLADE DO THE WORK,YOU JUST GUIDE IT OVER YOUR STUBBLE. Equally important is to practice your technique, this is the secret to traditional wet shaving, by doing this you will gain your shaving confidence...."I taught myself to shave the lather from my ugly face,& once a week my dome/head rather than the stubble"....This will help to reduce irritation. Get yourself a sample pack of DE blades to find which is best suited to your skin type...Last but not least try doing one WTG (with the grain ) pass at first until your skin gets accustomed to this way of shaving...Don't expect too much, too soon. Enjoy your new shaving experience.
Yours-Barry. (y)

Last edited:
Thanks Lee¡

Yes I think it's gonna be the same for me, especially with regards to soaps, creams, balms and aftershaves. Far too many ou there, and so good too!

Prorosa, Edwin Jagger and Taylor's of old bond Street are my latest addictions lol

Then there's all the blades..... A couple of months and I wil calm down.

Beer ticking is my other hobby, the wife told me to get a hobby after giving up motor cycling, so I did lol
Just over 15 months in and I still haven't fully calmed down!!!!!! Good luck with calming down :unsure:

Back
Top Bottom