Paddle strop finished

Well after seeing how well Nic's paddle strop turned out I just had to knock one or two up, sent for some 4mm English vegtable pit tanned leather, excellent quality it was to, I had more than enough to make the first strop came out at 20 X 3 inches lovely size gives me a nice amount of movement with my stopping action, then I also have a nice piece of about 16 X 2 to make myself a smaller strop well here's the photo's.

jamie

005.jpg

002-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

Thanks Nic, I haven't started the second strop yet must to take 1/2 of either side of the paddle, and make some minor changes to the overall design, but I have stropped a few of my razors with the finished strop, definitely taken them to a higher level of sharpness.

Regards Jamie

Hi Andy yes you are spot on I did use unibond contact adhesive, you get a instant bond, and as you say it also allows some movement, the leather was superb quality I have the telephone number and the web address if anyone would like it, but the lady sells on Ebay so it's easy to get. www.leatherandstuff.co.uk from shropshire.

Regards Jamie

That's very nice I have made a few strops now and I use the same leather as you Jamie. You should get a nice Sharpe edge off it.

I to use contact adhesive to stick the leather down.

Jamie

Superb work, congratulations, and thanks for the leather link.

Here are my feeble efforts so far:

Re-furbished a second hand TI paddle strop with bridle leather from The Whipped Dog (the other side is the same except sanded and with CrO2 powder).

And I picked up a German bench strop - but I don't have a bench to fix it to and didn't know how to hold it safely - so I glued it to a plank of pine and added a plane-like handle. Fugly but works fine - when I get some spare time (i.e. never) I might try to make a nicer one :icon_razz:
i5y711.jpg

Back
Top Bottom