Palm stropping new blades.

I suspect it was seen than - as now, as a way of trying to get that infinitesimal extra from a blade that doesn't really need it.

Many years ago men would try much the same thing with a used blade on a window pane, trying to extend the life of a blade that was gone. That was different of course, because it would still tug regardless.

this was for normal every day work with the blade.
open a brand new blade, palm strop the oil off. I also think it was to get any shaving off the edge.
and for cleaning, rinse, "palm strop" it on a hand or towel after patting dry on the towel then toss back in the razor.

Ive had batches of Wilkinson german blades that needed heavy stropping on my pants to make them work well. ive since gone on to other brands.

Multi Facet Factory Blades only get Blunted by Palm Stropping in my Books..Here is the thing..Palm Stropping is a bit a Cuckoo in the Nest because as a Lot of Folks are saying it can make a New Blade Feel Smoother..That's all Well & Dandy of Course...But that's because you are taking the Sharp Edge from them..;)

Stropping Blades are a Different Animal altogether & it wasn't uncommon for people to finish them after coming from leather by Palm Stropping 4 or 5 times a side for Two Reasons...One..To Smooth them out before a shave & Two..To apply Oil from the Palm of the Hand on the Edge of the blade to prevent Rust in between Shaves..:D

Billy

well you should hunt down a package of the counterfeit Rubie blades that came from Russia. I think that would change your theories on sharp blades.

Back
Top Bottom