Palmolive Classic Cream Review

Re: Palmolive tube

I actually prefer the cream to the soap. Better smell, better lather. I find it much slicker.

As much as I appreciate the economy and effectiveness of the stick, I would never go and buy something specially for grating this stuff! Life's too short and there are better soaps. I doubt many of us are in this for purely economic reasons.

John

We are discussing the cream rather than the stick here, aren't we?

Used this for the first time today - I'll update this review once I use it again.

Price: £1.45 from Tesco, which compares favourably to the two other creams I use (Real Shave Co. Professional Moisturising and TOBS sandalwood).

Scent: Very pleasant, fresh, clean, soapy scent. Quite noticeable cucumber note with some spearmint and a hint of citrus.

Latherability: I lathered a large almond-sized squirt in my Woodhead lather bowl with a Kent BK2 pure badger brush. We have very hard water here. I found it took more work to generate the volume and quality of lather than the TOBS, but much the same as the Real Shave Co. cream. It didn't "explode" but the lather built steadily, though it did take a fair bit of water to attain my preferred consistency, which is large, softish peaks that wobble when shaken. The lather was very glossy in appearance.

In use: With around 48 hours' growth, the lather went on very easily, and felt very slick. The first pass confirmed a slick feeling; however, if I went back over an area that had already been shaved, there seemed to be no slick residue left, which I normally take advantage of with the two creams I normally use. I also felt it lacked cushioning. However, the real disappointment came with passes 2 and 3. Although the lather looked the same in the bowl, it seemed to lose some body and all lubrication - I could feel the blade almost as though I was shaving with just a wet face, and there was a fair bit of scraping and roughness as I shaved. It felt sticky in a strange sense; not tacky but the razor was sticking to my face quite badly and juddering as I stroked it around. After rinsing, my skin felt dry and rather sticky.

After the shave: I employed my standard post-shave routine of witch hazel followed by Nivea Sensitive balm. I had stinging on application of the witch hazel, which is unusual, and, though the balm didn't sting, it didn't want to sink in, as though the lather had left a dry residue on my face. The shave was pretty poor; I couldn't honestly rate it any higher than a SAS, whereas normally I achieve a DFS.

Conclusions: I don't think I gave this cream a fair chance. I was intending to merely practice lathering with it, prior to shaving tomorrow morning. I therefore skipped my usual wash with Musgo Real lime oil soap, and perhaps didn't soak my whiskers with the hot flannel for as long as normal. I also suspect that, in order to get the "Mr Whippy" consistency that works best for the Real Shave Co. cream, I added too much water for this less heavily-concentrated product to absorb, which I suspect caused it to lose body. All things considered, however, I was concerned by the way the slickness of the lather seemed to "drop off a cliff" between first and second passes. I'll give this another go with my Gillette Slim either tomorrow or Sunday with my full prep. routine and see how that works - I'll also reduce the amount of water I add to the lather.

Re: Palmolove tube

Father Ted said:
Yellow Jim said:
Father Ted said:
I bought some of this and wondered about trying to melt it and put it in a bowl.

If you're talking about the Palmolive shaving soap stick, the best thing to do is grate it with a cheese grater and squash it into a bowl or ramekin. Don't try and melt it, you'll ruin it.
Done this, and the wife is now convinced i am off my cake as i grated it (using tje best cheese grater) into a small pot (le cruesset!???) she is not a happy bunny.

Another good way to annoy the wife is.................................... :lol:

chrisbell said:
...large, softish peaks that wobble when shaken...
Oh behave!!!! :D

But seriously, the resurrection of this thread has made me curious to try this cream out again. My tube currently resides in my wash bag ready and waiting for the day when I actually go away somewhere. Hence why it's been a while. :roll: I think tomorrow I'll actually bring it downstairs and shave with it. From what I remember the cream is not quite as good as the soap, though in the past I was a bit mean with the amount of cream I'd use so, especially as this is cheap as chips, I'll use a fair-sized dollop to be certain.

Pig Cat said:
chrisbell said:
...large, softish peaks that wobble when shaken...
Oh behave!!!! :D

But seriously, the resurrection of this thread has made me curious to try this cream out again. My tube currently resides in my wash bag ready and waiting for the day when I actually go away somewhere. Hence why it's been a while. :roll: I think tomorrow I'll actually bring it downstairs and shave with it. From what I remember the cream is not quite as good as the soap, though in the past I was a bit mean with the amount of cream I'd use so, especially as this is cheap as chips, I'll use a fair-sized dollop to be certain.

I should have known...I really should LOL. If there's a sniff of innuendo, PC will be there!

Pig Cat said:
I was a bit mean with the amount of cream I'd use so, especially as this is cheap as chips, I'll use a fair-sized dollop to be certain.

Talking about cheap as chips - I recently visited a german supermarket (Kaufland) and a tube was E0,75, which I believe trnslates to 60p or thereabouts ...... If your mean with that, your mean with anything :twisted:

UPDATE...UPDATE...UPDATE

Right, that got your attention! :lol:

Following great advice on't chatroom yesterday, I used the Palmolive again today. This time (after proper prep), I used barely any more water than was left in the brush after a gentle squeeze (PigCat, behave! :lol: ). The lather never really "exploded" in the way the Real Shave Co. stuff does when I add lots of water, but some semi-reasonable peaks formed, so brush met face and WOW! Thick, creamy, soft and really slippery - as in "I'm having a job to stop the brush slipping off my face" slippery. With my Slim set on 5 and a fresh SuperMax blade installed, each of the three passes was dreamy. Absolutely no drag, tugging or discomfort. The lather left in the bowl didn't degrade at all, and there was enough for me to squeeze the brush out to touch-up under my chin. Due to a bit of over-enthusiasm (like setting the Slim on 7 to buff an area I know is prone to burn), I got some irritation and a slight weeper, but I really was being a pillock. :lol: :oops: :roll:

I decided yesterday (though didn't include it in my review) to rate this cream as 4 out of 10, principally because I like the scent. Now, I'm giving it 8.5 out of 10, and, if it's as good with my more aggressive Merkur on Monday as I think it will be, that'll be going up to a 9 or even 9.5. :shave :D

Have you ever tried the brushless Palmolive that came in a red carton? I did years ago when it was available, and it was pretty awful, leaving a thin film on my cheeks. The green carton Palmolive is good though, but I last used it in my DE Phase 1 days, around 11 years ago.

I picked some of this up from Tescos a while back and have run it through the review cycle (it's getting pricey these days - £1.85). My thoughts were:

Like the shave stick equivalent, this is a cheap, long-standing product that gets the job done without any fanfare.

I had to add a fair bit of water and work it to get the best lather (for me). Slickness was good but judging by the number of nicks I picked up I'm not sure cushion was the best.

Obviously you don't buy this for the fragrance and at this price you wouldn't expect much, so it's not really a let down that the only thing I got was a chemical tang, although even that was rare.

To sum it up I'd say it was a solid, but unremarkable, performer. Good if you want something cheap that you can guarantee will get the job done.

Full review here.

Palmolive cream is probably my favorite shaving cream. It might have something to do with the fact that it was the first shaving cream that I've used, my father was using it, and I grew up with that scent.

Scent: For me, is superb. Simple, masculine, not overpowering. I get some sweet, tamed, soapy mint. Not great at describing scents.

Lather: This is where some people will not find it great. It's not as easy to lather as other creams. You need to work it out a little bit, it is a thirsty cream, so feel free to give it enough water, and it will serve you well. For me, Palmolive is like play-time cream. When I have enough time to shave, and I want to massage my face with the brush, I might use Palmolive cream. I like going from dry to perfect in small steps with this cream. It's just one of those things. Lathering it just put me in that "it's perfect now" place. Great scent, great texture, great feeling on my face. It is, most likely, a personal thing.

On my face: Finding a cream that does not give me some kind of burning sensation proved a challenge for me. I have this problem with more creams that I hoped, but never with Palmolive. And I think that this comes from scents. I found out that creams that project a powerful scent, are also gonna give me that burning sensation.

Just love this one. As far as scent goes, I prefer the cream over the soap, as overall performance, I like the soap more. But there are apple and oranges somehow. They perform different.

I really like the scent it just smells 'clean' to me. I bought some bath soap based on the scent of the shaving cream and was very disappointed with it, completely different scent.

Oh, yea, soaps are bad. I mean, not awful, but none of them have anything to do with the shaving cream. They have all kind of products, soaps, shampoo, but none of them are connected through scent or something like it.

Back
Top Bottom