Paraben & Nasties free shaving cream?

Hello everyone,

This is my maiden posting here. A special hello to Paul by the way! I'm looking for some high-end luxury shaving soaps/creams that are void(ish) of nasties and definitely void of Parabens. Reason being I'm trying to practise good health and stay chemical free. I've lost a family member to the big C.

I know Taylors of Old Bond Street is Paraben free. Anyone else kind enough to help a newbie out? Ta very much.

Sorry to hear of your loss, and welcome to TSR.

Artisan-made stuff is usually (probably always) Paraben-free, though I must say, as a scientist, the term "chemical-free" is a bit of a misnomer - everything's a chemical in one sense. Nanny's soaps are very popular, though, to my shame, I've yet to use one, and the lady herself is a member here (soapalchemist). She's very much into using natural ingredients only. If you're looking for info on which ingredients do what in a soap or cream (to understand what needs to be there for performance) Henk here in the forum (henkverhaar) is pretty much your contact.

Hi thanks for your reply. I would like to add I've now bought me a Merkur 34G (fancied a bit of golden bling) along with a Chinese Silvertip badger brush with a 24mm knot I couldnt resist. I've also bought a chrome holder for the two of them along with some sample bluebeards revenge shaving cream and balm.

Any of the Merkur range of razors are a good starting point. Get a blade sample pack from Connaught Shaving, but stick with one type for the first few shaves to develop your technique. I've not used Bluebeards products, but they are popular amongst many traditional shavers, including many here.

Welcome to TSR mryorks...Looks as though you're off to a good start...I can recommend Nanny's soaps...very soapy and the scents are very intense and "Real"...I myself used nanny's "Neroli" this morning...a very soapy soap...

Sharon (Nanny) is lovely to deal with as well.

Hello William, thanks for your reply, currently I'm in Borneo but this weekend we'll be county neighbours! I'm coming back to stock up for a month. I've actually been looking at Nanny's website and I have a rather large Cheshire cat smile on my face. I shall be purchasing shortly. I urge everyone to go au natural and cut down with applying chemicals on the skin, they are readily absorbed and end up in the blood. Who knows what horrible things they do to us. Previous to this I've been using........wait for it......

Chandrika soap. Have a google up. Ayurvedic stuff made in India, really has done wonders on my body.

mryorks said:
Hello William, thanks for your reply, currently I'm in Borneo but this weekend we'll be county neighbours! I'm coming back to stock up for a month. I've actually been looking at Nanny's website and I have a rather large Cheshire cat smile on my face. I shall be purchasing shortly. I urge everyone to go au natural and cut down with applying chemicals on the skin, they are readily absorbed and end up in the blood. Who knows what horrible things they do to us. Previous to this I've been using........wait for it......

Chandrika soap. Have a google up. Ayurvedic stuff made in India, really has done wonders on my body.

Just a word of warning - some of our members have rather...robust views on alternative healing and suchlike - you may find some scoffing coming your way.

Traditional Shaving usually carry some of the range of Mama Bear glycerin soaps, which are another good natural brand. Sue (mama bear) also produces various toilet and bath soaps. Have a look at her site on Mama Bear. Got to also give a mention to Professor Blighty soaps, aftershaves (witch hazel or alcohol based) and balsam. He's another of our members and you can always drop him a message to check on the ingredients for any of his products. Sunburyboy93 has his "Barbershop" produce also.
In fact, you'll probably find that quite a few of us have preferences as to ingredients we prefer in our soaps & creams, so you're not alone.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

chrisbell said:
mryorks said:

Just a word of warning - some of our members have rather...robust views on alternative healing and suchlike - you may find some scoffing coming your way.

Hello Chris, no mention of alternative healing here mate. A simple "staying away from chemicals" policy is prevalent in our household. Works for us. I do eat well. How can I not? I live in the tropics, there are coconut trees and Durian trees outside my window..etc. My skin glows, the shaving is the cherry on top so to speak. I would take natural substances over synthetic ones any day of the week - I'm bringing back a few Kilos worth of Ayurvedic soaps for the family when I get back to England.

UKRob said:
mryorks said:

Chandrika, Google - sounds like an Indian wrist spinner rather than soap.

Ah - B S Chandrasekhar.:icon_cool:

mryorks said:
chrisbell said:
mryorks said:

Hello Chris, no mention of alternative healing here mate. A simple "staying away from chemicals" policy is prevalent in our household. Works for us. I do eat well. How can I not? I live in the tropics, there are coconut trees and Durian trees outside my window..etc. My skin glows, the shaving is the cherry on top so to speak. I would take natural substances over synthetic ones any day of the week - I'm bringing back a few Kilos worth of Ayurvedic soaps for the family when I get back to England.

Don't get me wrong - sounds great to me, as does your lifestyle - just that the word "Ayurvedic" might have been a bit of a prompt to one or two of our members to make pithy comments about New Age, hippy remedies etc.

chrisbell said:
UKRob said:
mryorks said:

Chandrika, Google - sounds like an Indian wrist spinner rather than soap.

Ah - B S Chandrasekhar.:icon_cool:

mryorks said:
chrisbell said:
mryorks said:

Don't get me wrong - sounds great to me, as does your lifestyle - just that the word "Ayurvedic" might have been a bit of a prompt to one or two of our members to make pithy comments about New Age, hippy remedies etc.

Mate PM me your address I'll send you one when I get back next week. :icon_razz:

Ayurvedic remedies are a bit old to be considered New Age - by several thousand years, I believe. Scoff away scoffers, alternative medicine has a lot going for it. I have two English friends who years ago abandoned allopathic medicine altogether and rely on ayurvedic remedies - one in Karnataka and one in Hampshire. Both very healthy people. I only used ayurvedic medicines during my walk-abouts in India - about eighteen months - and now I'm home again, I pick and choose allopathic/ayurvedic and enjoy robust good health. If the NHS did ayurvedic, I'd switch completely.

Oops! One of the Amazon retailers selling Chandrica Soap is called - 'New Age'.

Trouble is, abandoning conventional medicine, with decades if not centuries of research behind it (and yes, I am biased as a trained biologist who spent a year in a research lab and who, if only I could get a PhD, would love to do three more) in favour of pre-Enlightenment remedies just because some work as well for many people is, IMO, throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Sorry Carl - no slight against you or your friends, but, as someone once said "Alternative medicine does have its merits - it's just that we tested the remedies that it produced, and the ones that worked became conventional medicine".

I think few people realise that much of synthetic chemistry and pharmacology has been finding ways to produce in large quantities the same compounds found in those traditional remedies which worked. Let's face it, if a compound binds to a receptor or fits in an active site somewhere in the body, that body doesn't respond differently to it if it was produced by a multinational corporation in a sterile factory rather than if it was distilled from the plant in which it was first discovered by someone in a hut in the jungle.

Having said all that, if someone prefers to use alternative medicine as an alternative to conventional stuff then it's their choice and I wish them well. I just think that too many well-meaning people think that the product from a large pharmaceutical company must somehow be less effective or even harmful because the people behind it are driven to their plush offices in a Mercedes rather than cycling to work wearing ethically-produced cotton and hand-knitted wool clothes. The fact is that both can be brilliant or dangerous, and the idea that the research scientists are Machiavellian plotters in the mould of Dr Jekyll (which some hardline types do espouse) is pretty insulting. What I'm trying to say is that it's hard to make an informed decision if you only know the tabloid scare stories rather than the facts.

BTW, if anyone is interested in the real problems of the large pharmaceutical companies, Dr Ben Goldacre is well worth reading or viewing on Youtube. Health Trusts and other bodies responsible for procurement have a real job on their hands getting past the obfuscation and spin that some companies use to promote some of their new drugs, but, then again, considering the ludicrous claims made for some of their more way-out treatments, they're not alone.

How did I know the scoffer you referred to was you, Chris?

My personal experience is where allopathic remedies failed to cure I tried Ayurvedic and Ayurvedic cured in no time at all. It is simply an approach, not a threat to your way of being and believing. It may not even seem to exist if you ignore it.

Back
Top Bottom