Closed Pass-a-round Alumnigoose

I feel its more aggressive than the S/S one and struggle with it tbh
The S/S one i use 95% of the time above any other razor and absolutely love it, YMMV of course
Really interested to hear people's thoughts and in reality it will go on the BST when it returns

Razor is safe and sound with me.

First impressions are that the blade holding pins are far better than the B2 shallow version and that I much prefer the lower weight / mass of the Alu head too.

I'm looking forward to the shave tomorrow. I'll use a Kai Mild with some incredibly slick Bowtie soap.

This feel notably more aggressive than my B2 stainless version. I'm not the first to make that statement but, from what I've read, not everyone agrees. Last night I measured the blade exposure and both measured the same. However, to my eye the B3 Alu version has a larger blade gap.

With the Kai Mild it gave a great close but comfortable shave and the weight was perfect. I'll use the Kai once more before swapping it out for a Feather Pro - my usual choice in my B2 Mongoose.

Second shave today. Nice and close, however I find these Kai blades just don't last and the end was a little uncomfortable. I'll be trying to measure the blade gap tonight with the spent blade rather than risk damaging a new Feather Pro.

I'm slightly apprehensive about the Pro blade. It might be a little too much ...

First shave with the Alumigoose

Nuage Men shaving oil (pre shave)
Arko soap
Omega 46751 brush
Alumigoose head
Feather ProGuard blade (1)
Stainless steel handle (70.3g 96.5mm)
Cella Colonia Classica ASL
Castle Forbes Lime ASL

I didn't have much to shave today. Yesterday's shave with an Ever-Ready 1912 was very close and long lasting, but I had a go with the Alumigoose anyway. I certainly like the looks of the head. Simple, elegant lines.
As with all pass around razors I start with my standard four pass WTG/XTG/XTG/ATG routine. A quick check on the back of my hand confirmed that the shaving angle is the obvious one when looking at the head.
Right from the word ‘go' I knew that this is one efficient/aggressive razor/blade combination. I was expecting a blood bath. :eek: I used the very lightest of touches to try and avoid the expected blood bath and it worked. Not a single weeper. Four passes later my face was smooth as can be. Job well done. The alum block stung a bit, but not too much. I was expecting quite a sting from the Cella ASL which is actually a cologne with quite a bit of alcohol in it, but it stung less than expected.
The Alumigoose is one very efficient razor, but I had the feeling that it needs a lot of respect. There is no way I could move this thing across my face like I can with other razors. It reminded me of the R41 in that respect. My only criticism is the width of the head. It's much wider than other DE/SE razors and I'm not used to that. For going ATG under the nose it wasn't nimble enough, although I managed. Maybe I'll get used to this. Tomorrow I'll try what made the R41 an outstanding razor for me: The short, lightweight handle of an aluminium Tech. I have a feeling the head might be too heavy for this, but there is only one way to find out. :p
TBC...

Last edited:
Odd and yet interesting findings thus far. I found that the Mongoose could be weilded almost like a cartridge razor and yet change the material and it seems like it's an aggressive monster? Very strange?

Odd and yet interesting findings thus far. I found that the Mongoose could be weilded almost like a cartridge razor and yet change the material and it seems like it's an aggressive monster? Very strange?
I'm not saying that it actually is an aggressive monster. It just felt very sharp and I was erring on the side of caution. In the end it drew no blood, so I'll get more adventurous with it tomorrow. I had some minor incidents with a Feather AC SS, so I know what the blade can do to my face :eek:

My Brother said the same..He said the Mongoose was a Serious Mild Razor..He was Blown away by how Mild it was after All the Hype on Forums about Blood Letting This & That..That Pro Guard Blade is as Mild as a Pair of Socks..:)

Billy

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom