Closed Pass Around: Hone Type 15 - Completed

In my eyes this appears a non adjustable Futur of some sort? This also has a huge blade gap and I love shaving on the highest setting and doesn't feel too bad. I agree on the relax and shave ethos, but also want it to do its job unlike some DEs I've had whereby they're a buffing machine or useless.

Hi, just catching up on the thread. Thanks for all the comments. The weight is certainly one of the defining characteristics, and I know its a personal preference, although heavy how does the balance appear to you?

@Whosthedaddy I have early prototypes you could peel a carrot with ;) and I definitely engineered the type 15 to avoid being overly aggressive for the first razor, but still worked for a good shave result. I look forward to hearing what you think of the shave. Its this sort of feedback that will have a big influence. With a different cap I would be able to change this to feel very aggressive, the gap to the bar is good, just change the relationship with the cap and the blade edge and I think you would feel it a lot more.

What an absolutely pleasant and comfortable shave! The shaving geometry is perfect to within a gnat's crotchet - could do with a tad more aggression, imo - a top cap tweak, I understand. I thought I was getting a BBS right up to rubbing in the a/s atg when, clearly, I hadn't.

Before going further, I need to point out two salient points - three, if you include this being my first shave with a new razor - the balance is entirely and utterly wrong for me and the handle is too short for me. A longer handle would address the balance problem somewhat but I doubt it would be solved - and the total weight would be increased. This is a very heavy razor and the CG is somewhere inside the head, so I had to hold the razor right up by the head - very strange for me and caused difficulties because of my large hands getting in the way. No doubt I could refine my technique with this razor.

Grip is superb! Right up to the end of the third pass, wet with soapy water, the grip remained excellent. In fact, I had to lather the handle to compromise the grip.

The shave was so easy and comfortable it was a pleasure and joy! I could feel the blade but was completely protected from it - not even close to a weeper - just the blade scything away. This was great in all passes, especially on larger areas, and felt like I was getting BBS atg. As anticipated, due to the bulk of the head and the protected blade ends, my upper lip and under my nose were problematic, but I got there - acceptable finish - in the end. With any other razor I would have been a weeper mess with the things I did - except I wouldn't have had to do them in the first place. Short handle, large razor head, large hands, large nose - very difficult to maintain an angle and get in close under my nose.

Mainly, I used a handle angle much higher than the recommended 30deg - more like 60 - 70deg - trying to ease a tad more aggression. Very comfortable but, as it turned out, not BBS - probably not even DFS. No doubt this will be improved on a second and subsequent outings.

Personally, I wouldn't buy this razor as is. I believe it needs refinement, so Mk III or IIII would probably be when I'd invest. The blade end protection is generous. Trimming this coupled with a smaller radius into the handle stub would trim a lot of weight. Trimming the diameter of the handle stub would remove even more. Scalloping the underside of the bottom plate could remove masses.

Conclusion: this is a brilliant razor in the making - a modern, comfortable shave. Too heavy by far and CG too high in the head. Balance would be improved with a longer handle. Shave geometry very nearly optimal, needing a tad more aggressiveness, just a tad.

I hope this edition sells well, Andrew, gets you some money back in the coffers! I look forward to evolved versions.

Tomorrow shave the second, utilising what I've learned today.

Oh! important for me - this razor carries shaved off lather well - enables long strokes.

In my eyes this appears a non adjustable Futur of some sort? This also has a huge blade gap and I love shaving on the highest setting and doesn't feel too bad. I agree on the relax and shave ethos, but also want it to do its job unlike some DEs I've had whereby they're a buffing machine or useless.
I'm with you here but I guess it is all YMMV. Is it more of a trend amongst straight razor users that an aggressive or definite steel edge feel, is something a DE has to exhibit? Is it that a lot of straight edge users prefer the Mongoose, Wolfman and SE razors for this reason? Strong edge no chatter.

What an absolutely pleasant and comfortable shave! The shaving geometry is perfect to within a gnat's crotchet - could do with a tad more aggression, imo - a top cap tweak, I understand. I thought I was getting a BBS right up to rubbing in the a/s atg when, clearly, I hadn't.

Before going further, I need to point out two salient points - three, if you include this being my first shave with a new razor - the balance is entirely and utterly wrong for me and the handle is too short for me. A longer handle would address the balance problem somewhat but I doubt it would be solved - and the total weight would be increased. This is a very heavy razor and the CG is somewhere inside the head, so I had to hold the razor right up by the head - very strange for me and caused difficulties because of my large hands getting in the way. No doubt I could refine my technique with this razor.

Grip is superb! Right up to the end of the third pass, wet with soapy water, the grip remained excellent. In fact, I had to lather the handle to compromise the grip.

The shave was so easy and comfortable it was a pleasure and joy! I could feel the blade but was completely protected from it - not even close to a weeper - just the blade scything away. This was great in all passes, especially on larger areas, and felt like I was getting BBS atg. As anticipated, due to the bulk of the head and the protected blade ends, my upper lip and under my nose were problematic, but I got there - acceptable finish - in the end. With any other razor I would have been a weeper mess with the things I did - except I wouldn't have had to do them in the first place. Short handle, large razor head, large hands, large nose - very difficult to maintain an angle and get in close under my nose.

Mainly, I used a handle angle much higher than the recommended 30deg - more like 60 - 70deg - trying to ease a tad more aggression. Very comfortable but, as it turned out, not BBS - probably not even DFS. No doubt this will be improved on a second and subsequent outings.

Personally, I wouldn't buy this razor as is. I believe it needs refinement, so Mk III or IIII would probably be when I'd invest. The blade end protection is generous. Trimming this coupled with a smaller radius into the handle stub would trim a lot of weight. Trimming the diameter of the handle stub would remove even more. Scalloping the underside of the bottom plate could remove masses.

Conclusion: this is a brilliant razor in the making - a modern, comfortable shave. Too heavy by far and CG too high in the head. Balance would be improved with a longer handle. Shave geometry very nearly optimal, needing a tad more aggressiveness, just a tad.

I hope this edition sells well, Andrew, gets you some money back in the coffers! I look forward to evolved versions.

Tomorrow shave the second, utilising what I've learned today.

Oh! important for me - this razor carries shaved off lather well - enables long strokes.
Great review Carl.

@Bechet Thank you so much for your detailed review. Could I summarise that you like the shaving geometry and feel during use, you might prefer a touch more aggression. But that the handling was not ideal for you due to a combination of the handle length (I know you prefer 100mm handles) weight and the center of gravity? If you had to narrow in on one thing which of these aspect do you feel held you back most from achieving a DFS/BBS?

Many thanks, and I look forward to hearing how you get on tomorrow.

Andrew.

My guess, Andrew, would be the CG in the head for my upper lip and a touch more aggression elsewhere. If I could only change one thing (why I said Mk III or IIII) I'd say a touch more aggression. A touch more! It would still be a mild shaver because you have the geometry so wonderfully right but permit closer shaving.

I emphasise again, my remarks were after my first use of your razor. I look forward to the morning and a second run out.

In honour of first use of your razor, I lathered with original Original Xpec. They liked each other a whole lot!

Back
Top Bottom