Closed Pass Around - One Blade SE Razor

Beautiful solid build and design. First shave was not what I expected. New feather loaded. Good slick lather built. Modest growth to be removed. It took 4 passes. With, across, against, against. Angle was easy to find but it never felt like it was removing much hence 4 passes. Also found it difficult to get at the under nose area. So far so indifferent. Now here is the dichotomy. Normally 4 passes for me would mean some irritation on the neck and a fair bit of alum sting. This was not the case, no blood no sting. Second surprise, a BBS is one thing but this gave me a shave which still feels good 24 hrs later, this is not my usual. So, first shave impression; a lot of work required but an outstanding result at the end. Now to see how well the feather stands up to a second shave.

Beautiful solid build and design. First shave was not what I expected. New feather loaded. Good slick lather built. Modest growth to be removed. It took 4 passes. With, across, against, against. Angle was easy to find but it never felt like it was removing much hence 4 passes. Also found it difficult to get at the under nose area. So far so indifferent. Now here is the dichotomy. Normally 4 passes for me would mean some irritation on the neck and a fair bit of alum sting. This was not the case, no blood no sting. Second surprise, a BBS is one thing but this gave me a shave which still feels good 24 hrs later, this is not my usual. So, first shave impression; a lot of work required but an outstanding result at the end. Now to see how well the feather stands up to a second shave.
I couldn't get under the nose with it either..As you say its a Very Mild Razor that does allow you to almost paint your face with it..It does take a lot of work to get a close BBS Result with it an All as you found out..:)

Billy

Quick thought following my second shave with the Oneblade. For me at least feather blades do not last beyond one shave. Quite a tuggy experience which resulted in a change of razor for the 2nd pass (blades were not to hand to do a quick swap). Looking forward to trying a despined gem as I do like these blades in my SE's.

So, managed to try the Oneblade with a de-spined Gem. Achieved a good comfortable close shave in 3 passes. Still working out how to get the under chin and top lip areas really close with this razor. Not sure whether the Gem blade "locks in to place" but it remained firmly against the stops at the front so it was secure despite appearing to have slightly different width to a Feather. I find that for me at least a Gem improves after the first shave or two so I am expecting great results for the next shave. Thank you to whoever went to the effort of de-spinning and individually wrapping and labelling the Gems, a very nice touch. After an uncertain start with this razor I am looking forward to the next shave with it.

Shaves 2 & 3 with the Gem were an improvement over the feather and the first Gem shave for me. My face still feels reasonably smooth 24 hrs after shaving which is a testament to how close a shave can be achieved with this razor/blade combo. What I really enjoyed was the total lack of irritation and alum sting. This following a 4 pass shave to see just how close a shave I could manage. Mild but reasonably efficient with a Gem. It took a few shaves to get the technique dialled in with this razor which is quite different to any other SE I own. The last shave was one of serene pleasure. I shall have one more shave and then pass it along to the next lucky tester. Final thoughts to follow.

Had a final shave with the Oneblade. I achieved a very comfortable, very close (pretty much BBS all over) shave with 3 passes and some touch up. This using a Gem with 3 previous shaves on it. The Gem performed far better for me than the Feather did in this razor. Final thought, a very solidly built, handsome razor which with a little practice is capable of giving a nice shave. A melding of modern and classic.

@Nico1970 thank you very much for the opportunity to try this fine razor.

@MPH if you PM me your postal details I shall send the razor on.

Hi Everyone,

The One blade arrived yesterday so here are my initial thoughts. I am not going to go back and read every previous post so appologies in advance for any repetition.

I was REALLY pleased to receive the OneBlade as this is a razor that has interested me since I first heard about it. It is the kind of thing I love. New, shiny, modern, shiny, stainless, shiny... :). The thing is I took an instant dislike to the company, and this definitely effects my decision to part with my money. Basically to me (YMMV) they just seemed a little snobby and elitist, and with the introduction of the black blade at $2500 I just thought they were money grabbing wotsitb. So...I am so grateful to try this @Nico1970 without having to give them my money (yet...).

So first impressions.... WOW. It looks like my dream razor. It's great.... And shiny. The packaging is fantastic, but too much for my liking...would prefer less with a cheaper price, but you can see they went to great lengths to give the best first impressions and it works.

The razor looks purposeful and deadly, and makes my Mongoose look like a stone age implement!

rps20160327_115610.jpg

After drooling a while I loaded a feather blade and got cracking. The shave was good...very good. It felt odd on my face, sort of detached a little and this maybe because of the spring head. I could certainly see the head bending as I used it. There are also two bits that stick out at the front and I could feel these during the shave but I could learn to ignore it.

3 passes gave a very good shave, practically all BBS, except for one area that is often an issue. This razor is VERY easy to use with little\no chances of nics and I found the Feather blades great. I will have another go with the Feather and then switch to the GEM, but there is only one GEM blade left, so I may feel a little guilty!!!

I like the razor a lot, but I will be interested to see how the "detached" feeling changes with more uses.

Looking forward to the next shave!

Matt

Back
Top Bottom