Closed Pass Around - Wolfman WR1-DC DE Razor - COMPLETE

Right you are. Those two together (no handle) cost £108 at Executive (after discount and inc. postage).

The Wolfman head only is £128 inc. VAT on the razor head plus RM fee and postage from Canada to UK (VAT exempt)

The other distinction between the two is about 12 months I suppose.

The other question is....would I have got the AS-D2 for £123 if I'd used the Wolfman beforehand?

Probably not.

I imagine you blokes would just say...get 'em both

Last edited:
Right you are. Those two together (no handle) cost £108 at Executive (after discount and inc. postage).

The Wolfman head only is £128 inc. VAT on the razor head plus RM fee and postage from Canada to UK (VAT exempt)

The other distinction between the two is about 12 months I suppose.

The other question is....would I have got the AS-D2 for £123 if I'd used the Wolfman beforehand?

Probably not.

I imagine you blokes would just say...get 'em both
Stan, I'll PM you later this evening (to try the R2).

Another couple outings with Wolf Man.

Today with a Feather blade (2nd outing) and Strop Shoppe Bay Rum with tallow and a Muhle 25mm synthetic.

I asked earlier if by not shaving for three days it might give a closer shave when you you eventually do. I'm pretty sure now that (for me at least) the answer is yes...albeit only by a tiny amount.

Used the AS-D2 once yesterday just as comparison. Obviously most definitely milder, and incredibly smooth, but, as we all know, needs more work to achieve similar results but I'm reminded that it (the Feather) is still a cracking, smooth and delightful thing to behold, and to hold, and I can't imagine wanting to part with it as we speak (but we all change our thinking over time, do we not? so never say never).

The Wolfman continues to perform as it did earlier but it reminds you now and again that it's not an AS-D2....you can't swing it round your mush like the Feather or a Gillette Sensor with gay abandon. Or, come to think about it, with any other sort of abandon. It'll give you a little nip if you get too familiar with it. I wonder how the standard version performs...not this special one with an increased gap? (Just remembered that it had the Feather blade in today, as opposed to the Polsilver before and that might have made it a little more lively?).

Again I say I could so easily be satisfied with this as my only razor. And different blades may well fine tune each use? But there again, I could easily just use the Standard, or the S2, or the 37C...it's just that I feel this one has the edge. And again I say the handle is fine but I think I'd use, say, the Kronos handle in the longer term if I bought this razor (head), due to the better grip - there's 2 or 3 mm difference in length between the Wolfman and the Kronos handles, the Wolfman being the longer. Much as I respect and have much fondness for the AS-D2 I don't feel that it would happily sit as my ONLY razor.

Being a spectacle wearer, and not wishing to wear them whilst shaving, I have a bit of difficulty distinguishing the two different edges every time I rinse and re-appy to my face and either have to feel the edge with a finger tip to detect the open comb edge or hold it up to the (5 x times) magnifying mirror to see which is which...all of which is something I've not had to do before. This might influence any future purchase of a double sided razor....or I might just get used to it and not worry about it.

I have yet to try the ATT R2 and it might be that I'll change my view about everything after trying it.

Enough.

Will have a few more shaves with it and pass it on - certainly I'll not keep it longer than 5 days.

Further thanks indeed to Martin for this opportunity. (How I hate that "thanks for the opportunity" expression) .... but it's appropriate on this occasion.

With the caveat that YMMV, I find that I can pretty much sling my standard gap Wolfman OC around with gay abandon, yet it will still mow through a few days' growth like a scythe. For me the standard gap is perfect.

In that case we insist on another Pass Around wherein both Wolfmans (standard gap and increased gap) are simultaneously distributed to the chosen few in order that subjective views can be formed?

No?
OK then.
:)

With the caveat that YMMV, I find that I can pretty much sling my standard gap Wolfman OC around with gay abandon, yet it will still mow through a few days' growth like a scythe. For me the standard gap is perfect.

Same here, the standard (OC and SB) is a very easy going razor. Waiting for the SB+ to arrive.

Won't keep repeating myself here. Suffice to say it continues to please.

Will post it on midweek if that's OK. I d o believe Andreas is the next recipient. Please send me a note with your details, Andreas...... and let me know if it's OK to send, say, Wednesday morning and you're OK to receive and sign for it. Ta.

Received with thanks.

Last night and today saw it used with a SuperMax Super Platinum and Kent soap. Have spent most of the day rubbing my hands around my chops thinking how good it felt...close and comfortable. I'll be sorry to see it go.

If I were to buy one it would be 'head only'...I've been using the Kronos handle for the last couple of shaves and, for me, there's no drawback compared to the handle that came with it. The Kronos isn't as luxurious to the touch but the grip's a little better......not a lot in it though but as I have a Kronos then it seems an obvious choice.

Obviously enough it would be good to be able to compare the standard gap with this increased gap back to back, but in the absence of that I would probably order the increased gap given that I found it to be suited to my phizog and I have the AS-D2 to cover mild/efficient shaves.

Thanks to Martin again as this has been a real treat.

Yet another shave this morning. New Feather. Plenty of preparation...shower then Village Barber oil and Noxzema all given time to soak in.

Took my time, steady and careful. First (WTG) pass with the OC side then subsequent passes with the SB side.

Afterwards a fine concoction of Aramis and Floris Santal aftershave mixed together...plus some creamy VB balm and a few drops of VB oil and a spot of Witch Hazel and a drop of Tea Tree oil - all mixed up and sploshed on the mush region.

Ahhh, bliss! Smooth as a very smooth thing - no nicks, no drama, just pure satisfaction. I know I joked about going AWOL to some un-reachable hideaway in the Pacific or somesuch. I'm now thinking more seriously about running off with the cats and the rabbit and the Wolfman and one or two personal possessions and doing a Reginald Perrin.

I may be gone for some time, don't come looking for me.

Last outing for me.

It strikes me that the shaves got better as I got more used to it. Today - Feather blade again, Wickhams sandalwood....utterly close and smooth and comfortable. Definitely easier to get sharper results than with AS-D2 therefore, for me, it knocks the Feather into a cocked hat. That's not to say the Feather isn't superb...it's just not as superb as the Wolfman.

With the benefit of hindsight I would have held back on buying the Feather and put my name down for the Wolfman.

It is now on its way to Andreas (riverrun). It's gone Special Delivery (by 1pm tomorrow).

Final thanks to Martin for his kindness and generosity. What a super chance to try this cracking, iconic thing.

Back
Top Bottom