Paypal Fees?

Picked this up from another forum because I personally don't think it's fare that a buyer should pick up the sellers fees, after all that's why he chose to use Paypal for the safety net it provides so the fees are theirs and not yours.

So many times I see someone selling something and saying that they will cover the Paypal fees. Well you SHOULD cover those fees because they are YOURS to begin with. It's sellers fees...Not Buyers fees.

It is also against Paypals Terms of Service to pass those fees along to the buyer.

Paypal TOS:
3. Eligibility for Use.

3.4 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method.

pugh-the-special-one said:
Picked this up from another forum because I personally don't think it's fare that a buyer should pick up the sellers fees, after all that's why he chose to use Paypal for the safety net it provides so the fees are theirs and not yours.

So many times I see someone selling something and saying that they will cover the Paypal fees. Well you SHOULD cover those fees because they are YOURS to begin with. It's sellers fees...Not Buyers fees.

It is also against Paypals Terms of Service to pass those fees along to the buyer.

Paypal TOS:
3. Eligibility for Use.

3.4 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method.

Good information, I didn't know this practice was against PayPal's T&Cs and to this day simply accept the additional 3% plus suppliers bang on to cover fees ... not anymore!!

Thanks.

Shaving Station said:
pugh-the-special-one said:

Paypal TOS:
3. Eligibility for Use.

Good information, I didn't know this practice was against PayPal's T&Cs and to this day simply accept the additional 3% plus suppliers bang on to cover fees ... not anymore!!

Thanks.

+1 Thanks Jamie.

I've known this for a while, but many sellers on here insist the buyer picks up the fees. Some of them can't even be arsed to work out what the fees are, they just say "plus PayPal fees" and leave it up to the buyer to get the correct total amount.

I find the whole PayPal fee thing a bit confusing (although, hands up, I've never read all the terms and conditions). I assumed, because I see it stated so often, that when I sold something via PayPal that I would incur a fee. I've only sold a couple of things, but never incurred a fee to my knowledge. Are these fees accumulated over a time period and then invoiced in one hit? Or is there a threshold that has to be reached before fees are incurred?

Smiler, what usually happens is that if you sell something via PayPal for £10 for example they deduct their fee and you end up receiving £9.50ish. You don't get an invoice you just receive slightly less.

At the end of the day the seller is under no obligation to accept payment by paypal. If people want payment through paypal they should set the price to include the fees but if they are happy with cash on collection or other payment methods they could always offer a discount if paying that way.

Yeah they are under no obligation to except Paypal as a payment, but most people including myself like the safety net you get from paying with Payal while carrying out a private one off sale, and If I know the individual well enough then I would have no problem sending them a bank transfer or If I'm buying from a well know retailer I will use my credit card.

Back
Top Bottom