Penhaligon users

With the impending group buy for Penhaligon EDT/EDPs, it would be helpful if some of the current or previous users of Penhaligons gave us some opinions on the various frags in the range. What are the no-nos, what are the must-haves?
Perhaps a rating out of 10 for initial smell, after notes, persistence and overall value for money?

I think frags are more about the mood they create or reflect. What's your purpose for wearing it? What environments will you be wearing it in? Are you wearing it for you or for others' benefit? Frags are even more subjective than shaving products. What smells divine to one person may offend another's palette. Memory association will mean that, for example, a neroli-heavy frag may evoke warm nights on the Med for some whereas it'll remind others of their grandma. Your 'skin chemistry' will affect the way the scent lasts, projects and even smells. Both myself and the ex often wore Diptyque Philosykos, for example, and it'd react very differently to us.

It's very easy to fall down this particular rabbit hole! I wouldn't blind buy. Find a boutique close to you and have a nose around or, better yet, locate some samples.

I kinda asked the same question in another thread and noted all the suggestions. At the Penhaligon's store, I discovered that I had a list of all the frags available.

The only way to do this is to go sniff for yourself - discover how a frag smells on you and whether or not you like it enough to put on your personal short list.

You only have to read through a bassnote review to see how opinions can differ, fwiw I still like and use Opus 1870 at this time of year...cedar, pepper, spice and decent longevity for a pens frag.

I've tried all of the Penhaligon's range samples, I went for the Castile, I'm a huge fan of Neroli wood and musk, this is something I tend to look for in a scent, but these things are so personal it's very difficult to say what someone else will like or dislike, but I'm pretty confident of my own mind that when I look at a certain set of notes from the write up I will pretty much like that scent, now as soon as I see cloves or tabaco I'm out, I cannot think of a worse fragrance than Oggalla Bay rum.

Jamie

I have to agree with all the other replies - fragrances are so much a matter of personal taste and can vary widely when used by different people with different skin types. Plus I found that there are benefits in wearing something that the better half likes.
On that front she bought me Blenheim Bouquet which we both love and I treated myself to Sartorial which also goes down well.

I tried Hamman Bouquet as I have seen it raved about and we both hated it.

Best to try the range of fragrances and discover your own preferences.

Dandy Highwayman said:
On that front she bought me Blenheim Bouquet which we both love and I treated myself to Sartorial which also goes down well.

Funny, just to prove your point I love Blenheim but I hate Sartorial.

OP: Have a look at Basenotes and you at least start to get some ideas of what things you may pick up... for instance I like citrus and I saw that in Blenheim Bouquet there would be bags of lemon and pepper, so given that fact, I wasn't surprised to find that when I tried it I liked it a lot.

I'm a massive fan of Hammam Bouquet - I appreciate that fragrances have a time and place. Hammam is big, ebullient and dated or classic depending on how you look at it. I recommend http://www.fragrantica.com/ for an insight in to any fragrance, and you can vote on the 'notes' you get from any fragrance. Quercus is a lovely day fragrance, and quite subtle too. Blenheim Bouquet reminds me of my granddad, but in a good way, but not one I feel I can carry off.

Back
Top Bottom