Personna 74

Wazzer3 said:
Where do you get some of these legendary blades from? Are they the Holy Grail of blades, are they in hangar 58 next to alien UFO?

Hi there,

I like em a lot. Almost Feather sharp, but a bit more forgiving. Crazy amounts of shaves aren't uncommon with this very hard steel. There's a reason why these blades sell for so much. They're a favorite of many people. Couple bucks per blade is the ebay norm, but much more reasonable in the wild.

Martin

Reason for posting this thread is after watching a couple of video's by MadScientist.ofWetShaving which intrigued me about past engineering can be to good!
The video is a bit long winded but still of interest.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=B87Gk3H3f20[/video]

I have about 65 or so of these that I accidentally stumbled into on a lot sale on the cheap in the past. I'll be frank in that IMO there is a lot of induced test bias by many regarding this blade. I have tried three and they all petered out at approx. 7 shaves for me. I gave one to a buddy and he got 7 as well. That's the most I have gotten from a NOS Schick Plus Platinum as well which IMO is a better blade & smoother. I get the same amount from a NOS Gillette SS 'Spoiler' also.

I think there is a lot of nostalgia for so called 'Golden Age' era blades. Many subscribe to the theory that some ol' duffer wearing bib overalls and 'chawin' tabaccy' on a front porch disperses wisdom on the level of a Greek oracle as well. :rolleyes: Science trumps reality here and I think the modern blades, especially by Gillette, are w/o peer. I get 6 or so solid DFS's on a Rubie or Nacet Stainless easy as pie. However, a bigger point is simply why? Blades are cheap and shaving is not running a Marathon. To be frank, the fella that merely uses say an Astra SP or Personna Israeli Red for three and reloads is ahead of the game IMO. It's too easy to succumb to blade 'pack ratism'.

I have never found any current production DE and or Injector Blade to be anything like as surgically sharp as NOS blades that were manufactured in the 1960s or 1970s ....The Personna 74s are indeed excellent blades but sadly way out of my price range with the added postage costs from the USA to the UK....o_O

Billy

Back
Top Bottom