Personna? Israeli?

I was in Morrisons the other day and found some blades packaged as 'Personna' and labelled as being made in Israel. £1.99 for a pack of ten.

The blade box is plain white with the cardboard insert simply showing a drawing of a razor blade, the wax paper round each blade is blank and there is no printing on the blade.

The shave I got this morning with one of these was remarkably good, as good as I get with a Feather or a Personna Med Prep (the ones marked 'Made in USA' and 'for hospital use').

My question is; what exactly are these blades?

They're a common blade in many shops. I believe the same blades are on sale at the shavingshack.com as 'Israeli Personnas'. They are a good all rounder and probably the entry level 'stainless' one.
I haven't used any others (Reds, medical, etc.) but I imagine this to be the case given their ubiquity.

There may be a number of Israeli blades being made at the same factory or under the Personna name. I recently bought some that came as Crystals made in Israel . Same??? Don't know.

I might be wrong here but I thought the Personna "no name" blades ARE the medical prep ones? The NHS uses them and that's why I refer to them as medical prep. Is there another, different blade?

Johnus said:
There may be a number of Israeli blades being made at the same factory or under the Personna name. I recently bought some that came as Crystals made in Israel . Same??? Don't know.

Yep, the Crystal is what a true IP is gonna be. Probably one of the better blades to start out with, plus lots of experienced people use em often as well. Of course, they're nowhere near as good as that famous delight outta Turkey.....da Doiby! Yeah, great fer plucking dem boids in New Yawk.

Dodgy

NotTheStig said:
Ah, I thought they were two (or more) distinct lines...
The plot thickens.

After a bit of research I see the ones widely referred to as "medical prep" have "For hospital use only" printed on the blade and they come in blue paper wrappers, made in the USA. Not the same as the Tesco ones then.

yep, made in the USA, seem to be highly regarded. I want to try some now, but the only place I've seen to get them is from the states. Anyone now anywhere closer to home?

Garbe said:
yep, made in the USA, seem to be highly regarded. I want to try some now, but the only place I've seen to get them is from the states. Anyone now anywhere closer to home?

Paul at Connaught sells them - I believe these are the ones http://connaughtshaving.com/perssu.html

The Israeli Personna's are availbale at ASDA, for £1.89 for 10. Surprisingly, they are always sold out - hair today gone tomorrow. Maybe that's a good thing because they always seem well stocked with the 9 blade cartridge stuff.

IIRC it was indeed Connaught shaving where I got my med preps.

If I can reliably get these Israeli Personna blades from Morrisons then I'll probably stick with them as they are about 30% cheaper than feathers.

But it will take me a wee while to get through my existing stocks of various blades unless someone wants to relieve me of my merkurs? :)

Yes as someone above pointed out the "Medical Preps" are the blue wrappered ones from Connaught and indeed they are an incredibly sharp blade and give a really close shave, they do irritate me a little but that's because its so close in the R41 of mine and that's aggressive enough with a derby in it.

Back
Top Bottom