Phoenix&Beau: My vegan & tallow shaving soaps [testers required]

I have done my Happy Sniffing...:D

1. Lavandula Starts off with a Strong Orange high note and low Lavender note...It settles into a higher Lavender/Lower Orange note
  2. Citra Royale Starts of with a lovely lemon & lime note..Just want to eat it...Settles into a distinct Citrus Lime High note
  3. Albion Deep Grassy natural morning dew high note ...Settles into a hint of vanilla with musky earth middle note
  4. Sanskrit High Cedar wood with low citrus note....Settles into Lovely Musky Note with a high citrus note
  5. Boudicea High Peppermint Note ...Settles quite nicely and to very refreshing & cool Spearmint
  6. Solaris. Dark Musky Arabian or Oriental scent...Settles into a Lighter Musky scent....A Mans scent for sure...:D:D

2. Was my favourite for a shaving soap....Refreshing
5. Also a great scent for a shaving soap...Refreshing
1. Could go with this in a shaving soap.....Refreshing
4. Nice & balanced and good to go in a shaving soap ...Refreshing
3. For me...A bit rich for a shaving soap...More like a perfume for me..
6. Again a bit complex and rich for a shaving soap....But hell I would wear it as a mans perfume...Lovely...o_O

To sum up then..2, 5, 1 & 4 are refreshing and very balanced.....3 & 6 were quite earthy & musky and quite strong...Lovely scents but maybe too much for a shaving soap for me anyway...Subtle is not here...:eek:

I hope this is laid out Ok...:D

Billy
An excellent write up, Billy. Very interesting to get your take on the scents.

@fly3k thank you also.

An excellent write up, Billy. Very interesting to get your take on the scents.

@fly3k thank you also.
No expert on scents Sir...These things are all personal of course but the more subtle the scent the less chance of any irritation in a soap in my experience...The Artisan Soap makers know that that some punters chase scents...So they give them a Huge Dose and the problems that can go along with it...Hey irritation sells and the makers coin it in...Nothing new of course the Ancient Egyptians & Folks in Victorian England right through to today just love to kill themselves with expensive grooming products.... Its an interesting one...o_O

Billy

Last edited:
I don't profess to be an expert on scents, but here goes:

1. Can definitely smell a lavender / citrus mix. Works well and I would use a soap scented with it.

2. Reminds me of lime cordial. A touch of menthol would improve IMHO

3. Reminds me of a liqueur whose name is long forgotten. Not my favourite

4. Fresh top notes, but a woody base. Again I think this would work well in a soap.

5. Reasonable, but appears a little one dimensional IMHO

6. A complex and interesting scent. I like it a lot

T
I don't profess to be an expert on scents, but here goes:

1. Can definitely smell a lavender / citrus mix. Works well and I would use a soap scented with it.

2. Reminds me of lime cordial. A touch of menthol would improve IMHO

3. Reminds me of a liqueur whose name is long forgotten. Not my favourite

4. Fresh top notes, but a woody base. Again I think this would work well in a soap.

5. Reasonable, but appears a little one dimensional IMHO

6. A complex and interesting scent. I like it a lot
Thanks @SeanC how would you order them in preference, please?

Here's the result of my sniff test:
  1. Lavandula - peppermint, crisp
  2. Citra Royale - lemon, mint, citrus
  3. Albion - liquorice, sandalwood
  4. Sanskrit - oak smoked, herbs, citrus, spicy
  5. Boudicea - roses
  6. Solaris - lemon, fresh
My order of preference is: 4, 2, 3, 6, 1, 5

NB - If I had to choose only one for a sopa, it would definitely be Sanskrit #4.

Thanks @phoenixandbeau for the opportunity to take part and good luck with the next phase of your work!

My findings for the scent test:

Lavandula - Of course Lavender, but I could also smell peppermint
Citra Royale - Citrus, lemon, lime, orange and maybe mint
Albion - Aniseed and sandlewood
Sanskirt - sandlewood, citrus and cinnomon
Boudicea - Spearmint and menthol - I found this one hard
Solaris - This was hard but I could smell musk but it be a fresh musk??

As in my order of preference I am not sure of yet but they all have very high qualities which would be great in any soap.

I like my soap to be very strong in scent so the wife can smell it afterwards ;)

Thanks

Stuart

Afternoon all, tinkering continues and V8.2 has just been hp'd / I'll give it a day before I test.

Cleaning my equipment down I got an early feel for the soap and lather seemed impressive; moisturizing (or a lack of drying) seemed positive. Encouraging signs considering I use a relatively high quantity of stearic acid in the formula

I shall report back.

How are the remainder of you getting on with my scent samples, please?
@isaiah53
@fly3k
@grarea
@missingskin
@Hippo
@globalm
@mouse
@Nishy

Back
Top Bottom