Photo alignment issue

I'm using an old Sony digital camera and recently I have had some issues when taking pictures, this actually all coincides with my youngest daughter using the camera at a birthday party. Maybe she pushed a button, I don't know, I'm no expert at these things. :huh:

Anyway the problem is this - when I take a photo, the image actually taken is about 1/4 higher than what was actually shown on the screen, and no I'm not moving when taking the picture.

Any help would be much appreciated and I hope I don't need to buy a new camera. :icon_sad:

Cheers
Jon

Does the camera use a viewfinder that you put your eye to or does it have an LCD display on the back where you compose your images?

Out of interest as I have a Sony SLT I did a search and it seems a problem that can happen! there were a couple of links to this. Here is just one.

http://www.dynaxdigital.com/sony-alpha-crop-sensor-camera-discussion/alpha-200-sensor-alignment/

There is a solution in that link, not sure if I'd attempt but at a last ditch solution it may be worth a go. What model camera do you have and how old is it ? Sony charge so etching like £50 before they even start on out of warranty repairs, may be worth taking it to a local camera shop and seeing what they say, some may offer a repair service.

To be honest... you'll be very luck to get a £130 camera repaired and have the repair cost worth you while relative to the cost of the camera.

It does sounds like your camera could have been dropped and the sensor misaligned with the lens.

I'd try all the basics though first:

* Format your memory card
* Upgrade the camera firmware
* Do a factory reset (if possible)

Failing that, I'd look for a repair diagnosis and quote. It's often the case that digital camera repairs don't come in any cheaper than £60 - £100 pounds... if you're lucky.

There won't be any setting on the camera that will allow this to happen. Reset the camera to it's factory defaults (usually found in the setup menu) and try it again.

Try to establish if it is the images taken with the optical viewfinder or using the screen. It's possible that a knock may have knocked the viewfinder parallax out, giving you the odd images, but using the screen should negate this.

Does the camera in question have a built in optical anti-shake? That could be the culprit.

Its all academic anyway, as it's already been stated that a repair would almost certainly be uneconomic.

Ian

Thanks for the replies lads, I'll take a look when I get home from work and see if any of your ideas solve my problem.

It's a Sony A350, I bought it a while back now so I doubt it has any warranty or guarantee left on it.

Bloody hell a search on Google tells me this is not going to be an easy fix! I'll have to check how much it costs to get Sony to have a look.

Northam Saint said:
Apparently it is a common fault on the A series. Here is a fix, albeit a brave move.

http://www.jgajewski.org/SonyAlphaDSLRSensorFixDIY/index.php

I just looked at that very page, no way could I manage that repair!!!

If you are going to buy a new camera then why not have a go at the repair? it doesn't looks difficult at all, plus it's well documented in the photos.

Boab said:
If you are going to buy a new camera then why not have a go at the repair? it doesn't looks difficult at all, plus it's well documented in the photos.

Agree with Boab. Nothing to loose, just take it step my step, clear a space put down plain paper and even take photos as you take it apart. The plain paper means you can easily see any parts and adds a small amount of light.

I took a lens apart once and managed to repair it, loads of small screws and ribbon connectors but it worked.

Jonty said:
Thanks for the replies lads, I'll take a look when I get home from work and see if any of your ideas solve my problem.

It's a Sony A350, I bought it a while back now so I doubt it has any warranty or guarantee left on it.

Where did you buy it from? Could you make a consumer law claim?

"If the image stabiliser is moving the sensor inappropriately, it could cause that kind of problem"

"The sensor moves on a plate, and mis-aliigment occurs when a "roller" fails, generally by impact. When anti-shake fails, the sensor is a left a few millimeters where it should be, hence the misalignment vs viewfinder."

"The repair report says "Changed stabiliser and tested""

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/sony-alpha-350-misalignment-problems.171509/

Back
Top Bottom