Photo of the day

y4mfJL6-OGoiqRCnGYrOMCgxHBEhVykeP8X_5xmSxSon5yQl3LTFwMrZrtejTh9nwtLYQiIB7JgtCgdqcFakkkQWTMlwAZC72FOa5ISdIvCq97SGXltaq8UaiIkyaXcjKW47rAxFRW-HHTUPiE1EccggykUsmPVFE4NIlQEiSZXJFW8_eVWz5TB8ZIJyJvzrbAfOEaG0U963zfrRf9qsXwcDg
Great picture, looks like great fun:)

Wow! Nifty looking place. I'm always ready to try new cities at the drop of a recommendation or interesting blog. if you don't mind me asking - where is it and is it a good place to live?

@William Dobson - it's Glasgow. I was born here and have lived the majority of my life in the city - with a few interludes elsewhere. I wouldn't know how to sum it up. It's not that pretty overall but the the people are known for being friendly and welcoming. The exact opposite of Edinburgh. (This is a joke - there is a well established rivalry between the places.) Within my life, Glasgow has reinvented its self from polluted, post-heavy industry to a much more European service sector sort of place. You can have a great night out here - if you can hold your drink. One of the best things about living in Glasgow is that within a couple of hour's drive you can be in proper stunning countryside. I like it enough to live here. cheers - I.

Welding? - shit. I fancied Art School at a certain stage - we have a very good one here in Glasgow - but I can't draw. Basic handicap for your foundation year. cheers - I
The Glasgow art school is a fine one indeed.

I think welding was there to allow students to fabricate early prototype bongs. It took the students awhile to conclude that maybe metal wasn't the answer and enough protested to the administration for a change. Shortly after, welding was dropped and glass blowing was introduced into the curriculum.

Although most of the students were very talented, many were not gifted drawers. For most, once past the Foundation Year, drawing never entered the picture, so to speak.

It was a great time to be an art student in Philadelphia during the Mid-Sixties. David Lynch was on the scene at Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, Todd Rundgren was a classmate and holding court for the ladies in the cafeteria and you could see Bonnie Raitt and other notables perform for the price of a corned beef sandwich. Seems like it may have also been the Foundation Years for sex, drugs and Rock n Roll.

@Digimonkey I like that moody but clean

@Count of Undolpho - thank you mate. It was taken underneath the la Caixa Foundation building next to Retiro in Madrid. There had been a sudden torrential down-pour and we were sheltering from it. With this sort of picture the architects have done most of the work for you - you just need to hold the camera level and get it in focus. Thanks again. I.

The Glasgow art school is a fine one indeed.

I think welding was there to allow students to fabricate early prototype bongs. It took the students awhile to conclude that maybe metal wasn't the answer and enough protested to the administration for a change. Shortly after, welding was dropped and glass blowing was introduced into the curriculum.

Although most of the students were very talented, many were not gifted drawers. For most, once past the Foundation Year, drawing never entered the picture, so to speak.

It was a great time to be an art student in Philadelphia during the Mid-Sixties. David Lynch was on the scene at Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, Todd Rundgren was a classmate and holding court for the ladies in the cafeteria and you could see Bonnie Raitt and other notables perform for the price of a corned beef sandwich. Seems like it may have also been the Foundation Years for sex, drugs and Rock n Roll.

Sounds like fun mate. Different city but I think the principle applies -

"There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda. . . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.”

Hunter S. Thompson - 'Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas.'

Cheers - I.

"There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda. . . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.”

Cheers - I.
Perfect. You nailed it. Thanks.

Last edited:
@William Dobson - it's Glasgow. I was born here and have lived the majority of my life in the city - with a few interludes elsewhere. I wouldn't know how to sum it up. It's not that pretty overall but the the people are known for being friendly and welcoming. The exact opposite of Edinburgh. (This is a joke - there is a well established rivalry between the places.) Within my life, Glasgow has reinvented its self from polluted, post-heavy industry to a much more European service sector sort of place. You can have a great night out here - if you can hold your drink. One of the best things about living in Glasgow is that within a couple of hour's drive you can be in proper stunning countryside. I like it enough to live here. cheers - I.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts about Glasgow. Based on absolutely nothing, I alway thought Glasgow would be the better place and more interesting city to live. More real and less pretentious. Guess the snow covered mountain in the background throw me.

Cheers - I.
That was one crazy book! Aught to read it again one day.

Back
Top Bottom